Fallout 4 is coming soon.. is there a new OB Fallout Scheduled?

dava4444

Bethesda totally nailed the humor of Fallout once again.

You do realize that you're not obligated to play this game, right?

If he's like me, his interest isn't so much in Fallout 4 itself, but potential future titles.

New Vegas is my favorite game of all time, Bethesda is a company I've followed since Morrowind. Sadly, FO4 appears to be the title that's gonna make me bow out. I'm not even purchasing, though I will watch a Let's Play. Unless it wows me and/or unless there's a surprising backlash where the game gets mixed reviews and people demand some old features back and Bethesda is forced to listen, then that's it for me: I'm basically done with Bethesda and they'll be categorized in my mind in the same group as EA and Ubisoft. Perhaps good news for people like yourself though, cause it'd mean I've given up on any hopes that criticism actually matters to this company.

If this game type interests you, knock yourself out and I hope you have fun. I'm not here to rain on anyone's parade, I'm only here because I do think they could do better and I would like to voice ways I think they can do better. His story is much the same, I'm sure.

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

I've spent a few hours playing and I'll keep it short.  Some things suck, some things rock, but the biggest obstacle to my enjoyment is the freaking woeful optimisation.  Every kind of stuttering you can think of is happening, pretty huge FPS drops for not very good reasons...the whole modern PC release package  :banghead:

From what I've seen, I'll probably forgo this title until it's deeply discounted which, owing to its AAA status, could be quite a while. Not hating it. It even has some stuff that looks good. I just don't need an extra game right now and it doesn't look like a must have title.

• Like 3

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I've spent a few hours playing and I'll keep it short.  Some things suck, some things rock, but the biggest obstacle to my enjoyment is the freaking woeful optimisation.  Every kind of stuttering you can think of is happening, pretty huge FPS drops for not very good reasons...the whole modern PC release package  :banghead:

specs?

Keep in mind it runs best on Nvidia cards + godrays destroy performance even on uber rigs.

Edited by HoonDing

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

I've spent a few hours playing and I'll keep it short.  Some things suck, some things rock, but the biggest obstacle to my enjoyment is the freaking woeful optimisation.  Every kind of stuttering you can think of is happening, pretty huge FPS drops for not very good reasons...the whole modern PC release package   :banghead:

specs?

Keep in mind it runs best on Nvidia cards + godrays destroy performance even on uber rigs.

Settings don't seem to greatly affect the issue, I'm using the latest driver and I've tried all the usual tweaks.  Using the borderless window mode helps considerably but I'm still getting really bad stuttering when I sprint.

980, i7 4780k, 12gb ram, 500gb ssa, Win 7 x64.  

No key remapping. Can't play with a controller and a mouse at the same time either. 

I am dissapoint.

We really got screwed with the PC interface this time, you can't even adjust brightness.

I checked in on the Fallout subreddit, some guy was assuring everyone he's an old school, hardcore Fallout fan and that this game is the best of the bunch.

That awkward moment when he goes on with his description and makes it blatantly obvious he thinks FO3 and New Vegas are the only existing Fallout titles.

• Like 5

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

^^

No gamma slider. So far it looks worse than FO3. 

Look for fGamma in Fallout4.ini

should be there if it's the same as Skyrim.

You realise that would mean staring at the loading screen between every minuite adjustment. Not acceptable. You would think there would be time somewhere in the 7 years it took to make this game to provide the bare minimum for a PC user. 

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Is it me or are the perks pretty lackluster. They could have done most of it with skills which are now gone. 

Edit: not too crazy about the dependencies either. Max out agility and you will be a ranged master of .... pistols ?. 

If I get annoying, just tell me, but this was exactly one of my concerns I'd been voicing for months.

I suspected that Bethesda was either going to take a note from New Vegas or take a note from Skyrim when making this game. The perks they've shown are stupidly similar to Skyrim, with the whole "20% cooler" pattern where a perk doesn't really unlock any new abilities, but rather makes an existing ability 20% better. And as you said, half of the perks do things that skills could. I heard Bethesda supporters argue "skills are a boring system that should've died out years ago." Yes, they are boring. And they're essential. Skills do the boring basic work so that the other systems can shine through. But when skills suddenly have to crash at perk's house, then suddenly the the quality of perks drop.

Let's think this through a second:

In New Vegas you got a "generous" amount of SPECIAL stats to make your character with. You got enough to customize your character plenty, and the game actively discouraged you from getting more SPECIAL stats by making the Intense Training perk always inferior to alternatives (example, +1 Agility provided faster reload speed and like 2 action points, but in the same time it takes to get +2 agility perks, you could get Action Boy for ~15 action points and Rapid Reload for 2-3 times the increase in reload speed; Intense Training was a beginner's trap and only useful for unlocking the ability to take additional perks if you REALLY wanted them). Every level you got skill points, and every two levels you got a perk. FO4 by comparison? In one level, you can get a perk that's functionally a skill, such as increasing your gun nut perk level. You could basically compare this to dumping ~20 stat points directly into Science only. Then comes the next level. You really want that fancy perk that actually does something, but unfortunately you lack the SPECIAL for it. Now you've put a level in that SPECIAL stat, and again you didn't actually get a perk. Now you've leveled up again and STILL you don't have access to any meaningful perks; you either spend the perk on a SPECIAL or on a skill, but actual perk perks? No. Eventually you finally get one, and after you get that one, it won't be long before you again find yourself dumping perk points into skills and SPECIAL.

The result is that this only provides the illusion that the system provides more perks and more interesting content while skills were cut. In reality, skills and perks (and to a lesser degree SPECIAL) were merged, and the resulting product is just as much a skill as it is a perk; skills have become more like perks in a way, but the quality of perks has diminished because they too have become more like skills.

Likewise, a big problem with Skyrim was that all those "20% cooler" perks were essential. If you did not take those, you did not deal sufficient enough damage to kill the enemies your level, or you didn't resist enough damage to live. You HAD to get them. There was nothing optional about those 20% cooler ranks, they were practically required, unless you wanted the game to feel like a visit to the dentist to get your teeth pulled. I have my worries this will be similar here, and that by the time you're level 30 or so, you'll find skipping those ranks is not an option, or at least very painful to skip.

What's weirder, at level 1 in Skyrim, you were proficient in every weapon and armor type. You could use any of them and manage kills. By level 30...? You can only use the ones you perked, anything else is useless to you. I much prefer it when perks feel like....yknow, perks? In New Vegas if I perked up shotguns, I used shotguns BECAUSE they were so versatile that they typically performed better. But if I find myself out of ammo, can I use a rifle or laser competently? Yeah I can, it's just not nearly as sure-fire, reliable and effective as the shotgun. The weapon type you perked was the one that could kill the enemy in 2-3 shots while the non-perked did it in 5-6. This was enough of a difference to matter. Skyrim? The one you perked killed the enemy in 10 swings, the one you didn't killed him in 50. It was insane. I firmly believe a character should feel MORE capable as they level, not less, which is exactly what Skyrim did as your skills seemed to shrink as you leveled. If Fallout 4 will be similar honestly depends on how they handle leveled enemies; if they changed this system and made enemies far more stagnant in level, this could not be a problem, but if it follows Skyrim's playbook, those 20% cooler perks are nothing more than permission to continue playing the game the EXACT same way you've been playing, except now you need 20% more damage to kill enemies with 20% more HP.

But I'm done ranting, question time:

You said Agility makes you better with pistols for example. Does agility as a SPECIAL stat itself actually do anything for them, or is it rather that you need agility to gain access to the perks that actually help pistols?

Edited by Longknife
  • Like 1

I just realized my internet connection has outrun my DVD-reader:

awk_zps5jolqojf.png

It's faster for me to download things than install from disk. What a time to be alive..

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I bought it on my lunch break, went home and installed, created my monster (world's first nuclear hipster!) and only just started moving before I had to go back to work.

Urge to play increasing!

I haven't been out in the world yet, but so far it runs great on my 290X. It automatically chose Ultra settings on everything too.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!