What are you playing now?

Blarghagh

Logged into Origin to buy the new DAI DLC and saw Jaws of Hakkon on sale so bought that too. I guess I need to run through that before moving the story along now

That depends on your level and what you mean with moving the story along. Jaws of Hakkon is a bit more difficult than the base game, there's a reason it drops gear and crafting schematics that are leaps and bounds ahead of everything else. :)

• Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

I beat the game but haven't bothered with any of the DLC before now due to burnout but I heard once you do Trespasser that you can't go back and do the rest of the DLC. If so maybe I'll pick up the Deep Roads DLC too because there is no way that I'm playing through the whole game again

Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21

I beat the game but haven't bothered with any of the DLC before now due to burnout but I heard once you do Trespasser that you can't go back and do the rest of the DLC. If so maybe I'll pick up the Deep Roads DLC too because there is no way that I'm playing through the whole game again

Oh, I totally forgot that Trespasser came out today and with it being set two years after the main game it only makes sense for not being able to go back. Guess that means I'll be playing DA:I again this week. :)

Oh that explains why there was a huge patch waiting for me.  Le sigh.

According to what I've read you can't play Tresspasser unless you have a beaten game state, so I may finish the game an DL Tresspasser later.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I'd completely forgotten that DAI DLC is out today.  Reading reviews of the Descent one kind of soured me on replaying DAI, but since you need to have finished the main story to play Trespasser, maybe I'll just find an old save and just do that.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Personally I liked The Descent more than Jaws of Hakkon (but then I like the Deep Roads stuff, so I'm probably more inclined to like it than others over Hakkon which offers a large areas with similar gameplay to other areas).

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I think DA:I could have profited a lot by having more areas like the Frostback Basin and Emprise du Lion. They were nicely done and focused on a particular quest with a few sidequests here and there but none of the utter inanity that some other areas turned out ot be. Somehow all the low-levle content is kind of... bad. Bland. Oh, and boring.

Edited by majestic

I think DA:I could have profited a lot by having more areas like the Frostback Basin and Emprise du Lion. They were nicely done and focused on a particular quest with a few sidequests here and there but none of the utter inanity that some other areas turned out ot be. Somehow all the low-levle content is kind of... bad. Bland. Oh, and boring.

I think one of the things that hurt all those "side content maps" was a lack of cutscenes.  I know, I know, games don't need cutscenes, yadda yadda.  But considering THIS game, and how BioWare describes their games as "cinematic experiences", I think going from a huge number of cutscenes during the main quest to zero cutscenes and just text dialogue for receiving/completing texts made the two (main story and side content) seem like different games.

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Logged into Origin to buy the new DAI DLC and saw Jaws of Hakkon on sale so bought that too. I guess I need to run through that before moving the story along now

Wait-- Bioware DLC actually on sale?  Since when is that a thing that happens?

My DA2 game is into early Act 2, and I'm considering acquiring some of the DLC.  (It seems that "Legacy" is generally viewed as the one that is most enjoyable and most important to the overall series narrative.) 

More broadly, on DA2, the companion relation meters are bothering me.  It's an improvement over DAO, which allowed the player to disregard most in-story decisionmaking (apart from a few crucial moments like the Urn) and buy the companions' affections with waves of gifts.  And I like the idea of adding a "rivalry" mechanic as a counterpoint to "friendship," but it creates the ME2 alignment problem-- you can be either Red or Blue, but choices that are non-committal or inconsistent are Clearly Wrong.  This is further complicated by the fact that companions aren't strictly "yea" or "nay" on the range of issues confronting the protagonist-- to their credit, they appears to have somewhat nuanced views on topics.  Anders hates the Templars but also hates Blood Magic; Isabella wants the player to be greedy but not to the point of cruelty.  A player looking to build Rivalry with Anders would side with the Templars, but would be cool with the use of Blood Magic.  Would-be Isabella rivals would be well advised to be alternately selflessly generous and casually bloodthirsty.  Particularly when chasing rivalry points, the player sees lots of metagame incentives that work against character-consistent role-playing.  It's a less broken system than DAO's, but the raised stakes (i.e., it actually being hard to earn full Friendship/Rivalry) make the degree to which it is broken more prominent. 

In that vein, I've recently realized that I made the mistake of simply avoiding the characters who I didn't like much.  What I should've been doing is dragging them around on missions they hate.  Which is tedious (requiring time and thought invested in stuff like their gear and their Tactics) and not character consistent-- if Hawke thinks that Anders is dangerously unstable, why would she choose to bring him along on her murder-hikes?

The answer is probably to think less about min-maxing this kind of stuff, but, hey, certain CRPG habits are hard to break. 

Edited by Enoch
  • Like 1

Legacy provides the basis for Inquisition. So if you plan on playing DA:I and only want to get one of the DA2 story DLCs Legacy is the way to go - but Mark of the Assassin was more fun (but much less relevant to the lore of Thedas). Plus it had Felicia Day voice acting which is always a huge plus. :)

Edited by majestic

After long break, I have played another two sessions in Pathfinder Society, with my friends over roll20 :p

I have played this time a Nagaji Warpriest, I am level one, and we almost had TPK in the middle of module, because our Monk is to much trigger-happy :p

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Plus it had Felicia Day voice acting which is always a huge plus. :)

This statement is correct. 

In bizarro world.

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

A nice lore dump in Trespasser. A lot of good info even though I didn't really care for the story. Well maybe that's not exactly true, it's more that I didn't really like where they took it. Was hoping for more political stuff and some things unfold without much input from you for plot reasons.

Also, looking like Dragon Age Next may be in Tevinter

Free games updated 3/4/21

Played some more Beyond: Two Souls while I was away from MGS V. It turned out to be a pretty decent game actually. The characters are well presented, the visuals are nice, controlling Aiden is fun and there is always a change of scenery/location after an hour or so. 

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

Plus it had Felicia Day voice acting which is always a huge plus. :)

This statement is correct. 

In bizarro world.

Celebrity casting never did much for me.  And as someone who didn't know who Ms. Day was before she showed up in New Vegas, she barely qualifies for even that. 

To be fair, I don't think anyone could like any face rendered with that engine.

(I'm another one of those people who don't know Felicia Day from any other media, but game exposure from celebrities who are genuinely interested in video games instead of it just being another contract can't be a bad thing)

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Finished chapter 1 in MGS5. Looks like chapter 2 intruduces missions from chapter 1 with different rulesets... Hope to be able to snatch more tanks now!

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Melee combat in Mad Max is so much easier than car combat.  Max can easily fight his way through camps with 30+ enemies in them, barely ever taking damage, but my car seems to be only able to take two or three collisions before it's about to blow up.

Melee combat in Mad Max is so much easier than car combat.  Max can easily fight his way through camps with 30+ enemies in them, barely ever taking damage, but my car seems to be only able to take two or three collisions before it's about to blow up.

Shoulda just attached wheels to Max then.

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Eh, do enough of the story missions to get access to the.. Thunderpoon!

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."