Journalism and Bias in the Gaming Industry

Blarghagh

The #SPJAirplay tag on twitter exploded saying someone phoned in a bomb threat.
I'm not watching at the moment because I'm cooking dinner and browsing twitter on my phone.

When in doubt, blame the elves.

I have always hated the word "censorship", I prefer seeing it as just removing content that isn't suitable or is considered offensive

So, SPJ Airplay is going on at the moment.

Apparently it was just disrupted by a bomb threat.

...the ****?

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Supposedly it was expected and measures were taken preemptively so it wouldn't be too disruptive.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Right, they've now been evacuated.

Edit: Now they're evacuating the WHOLE NEIGHBORHOOD.

Edited by GhoulishVisage

When in doubt, blame the elves.

I have always hated the word "censorship", I prefer seeing it as just removing content that isn't suitable or is considered offensive

What is SPJ Airplay?

The Society of Professional Journalism got a panel together to discuss the failures in covering Gamergate and other leaderless movements and how they can do better going forward.

• Like 1

Devastatorsig.jpg

What is SPJ Airplay?

The Society of Professional Journalism got a panel together to discuss the failures in covering Gamergate and other leaderless movements and how they can do better going forward.

Guys I can tell all of you exactly why GG failed...you don't need the SPJ 

I won't be condescending but its a fair amount of writing so I wont post it unless someone specifically wants to know :geek:  

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

What is SPJ Airplay?

I won't be condescending but its a fair amount of writing so I wont post it unless someone specifically wants to know :geek:  

Sorry Bruce but your post feels like a swan song of someone who's denying what has been achieved.

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

What is SPJ Airplay?

the Society of Professional Journalists agreeing with GG. Yeah, totally not needing that. Nope, nu-uh, no way. Absolutely not.

• Like 1

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

What is SPJ Airplay?

The SPJ approached Gamergate to discuss how journalists failed in their coverage of GG. One of the main points was how every other leaderless group journalists stressed that fringe elements were fringe elements, and shouldn't be defined by them, where with GamerGate the journalists went out of their way to define it by its fringe elements.

Devastatorsig.jpg

What is SPJ Airplay?

The SPJ approached Gamergate to discuss how journalists failed in their coverage of GG. One of the main points was how every other leaderless group journalists stressed that fringe elements were fringe elements, and shouldn't be defined by them, where with GamerGate the journalists went out of their way to define it by its fringe elements.

What is SPJ Airplay?

:lol:

Okay thanks for clarifying, I misunderstood what you meant. You are a nice  guy, you often explain things to the lost and confused

I respect that about you as it demonstrates a strength of character ...you need to tell your folks what I said, they may give you some relief of debt  :biggrin:

But I can still explain  the intrinsic failures of GG if someone wants...I just have less inclination now  :grin:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

What is SPJ Airplay?

the Society of Professional Journalists agreeing with GG. Yeah, totally not needing that. Nope, nu-uh, no way. Absolutely not.

Meshugger you make me laugh  :biggrin:

John Milton 

L0L GG succeeded. Gamers still exist therefore GG wins. That is what makes Bruce cry. He wants all gamers dead. That's SJWs for you - not satisifed until everyone is dead AND miserable.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

L0L GG succeeded. Gamers still exist therefore GG wins. That is what makes Bruce cry. He wants all gamers dead. That's SJWs for you - not satisifed until everyone is dead AND miserable.

Volo ironically that is part of the problem. Its a misperception alignment, you guys think these SJ changes and criticisms are about making people miserable when if you  just bothered to see the big picture you would realize they are about making society better for all

Despite all the explanations some of you guys refuse to get it but most people get it. Hurlshot for example, even if he denies it at times, gets it. People that live in a liberal state like California get it.

Of course not all SJ campaigns are valid ...we must recognize failures and wrong approaches. But these are then rectified and we move on 

John Milton 

"you would realize they are about making society better for all"

\HAHAHAHAHA!!!

"People that live in a liberal state like California get it."

L0LZ The state that had Ahnold as a governor. The state that is so poor despite it being most famous for having a whole population of millionaire.

LMAO SJWs are about making society better just like the nazis. Soemthing both those groups have in common. :)

Says the one who always cries about 'meanies'. Poor little Hurlshot. Crying likely a little SJW. The facts are facts. California is not in good condition. Do some research.

I believe the politically correct term is "maroon". Source: Bugs Bunny.

I was under the impression (solely created from half read headlines linked on facebook and twitter) that California has been teetering on the brink of bankruptcy for a while now. I don't know how true that is, but considering all I ever peripherally hear about california is "bankrupt" and "forest fire" I can understand that people might think that.

Huh, I'm surprised that is the impression you have TN.  It's far from the truth.

http://www.pacific.edu/About-Pacific/Newsroom/2014/September-2014/California-and-Metro-Forecast--September-2014.html

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-ucla-economic-forecast-20140911-story.html

California was hit hard by the recession in 2008, that is for certain.  It also did not fare well under the previous governors who had no idea how to work with the state congress and balance a budget.  But with a fiscally conservative governor, the budget has been in the black for a number of years now.  There has been slow and steady growth since then, and (sadly) property values are back to their pre-recession levels in most of your larger markets.  Another recession may be on the horizon, there is little California can do to prevent that, but they have taken more steps to be prepared for it.  I still think the tax system needs an overhaul.

http://wolfstreet.com/2015/06/11/what-does-california-gov-jerry-brown-know-about-the-next-crash-and-recession-that-we-dont/

The drought is obviously a big concern over the last few years, as California is a huge agriculture state along with the tech.  Conservation efforts are in place, but really we just need rain.  It isn't the first drought we've been through.

So yeah, I'm not all that worried about California.  We still have a GDP that is tops in the US and rivals a number of European countries.

Uh, California is not poor.   :blink:

It's also not as liberal as most people make it out to be.  

I mean this in the nicest way possible, but you guys are both morons.   :biggrin:

Come on Hurlshot ....lets use a little common sense when I say " California "  is a liberal state...I really didn't think I would to explain this one to you  ;)

If you take cities like San Diego areas like Silicon Valleys and events like Prop 8 you will notice the state is synonymous with Liberal values...as I mentioned stop denying you a liberal  :biggrin:

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

Conservation efforts are in place, but really we just need rain.  

the universe laughs.

a strong el nino is being predicted for the winter o' 2015-16.  so, following years o' drought and forest fires we sudden get torrential rains.

way to go, ray.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I always thought "SoCal" is so poor they are selling advertisement places in school. Stuff like the "Coca Cola Classroom" or vending machines or something.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."