Journalism and Bias in the Gaming Industry

Blarghagh

Another relevant video: 

How is this relevant?  The 2 seconds he says "it's a AAA game so we have to give it a good score"?  Because otherwise it's 12 minutes of a guy yelling and swearing, basically doing the shock jock routine of voice an unpopular opinion, sprinkle in just enough truth to get people interested, then be as belligerent and insulting about it as possible for shock value.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

What I heard listening to that video:

"Woo, look at me and my video! I have a hard-on for Jedi Knight and hate everything else because it obviously suxors because I say so! Look at me making random ad hominems against people who like them because obviously if they disagree with me they have to be ten and have no mad skizz! Whaa, whaaa, whaaaa..."

:facepalm:

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

That's weird, I thought people here would love Mack because he talks exactly like all of you guys do.

EDIT: Well that was a lot less funny when my smug looking smiley hotlink didn't work. :(

EDIT EDIT: This Mack video demonstrates his problems more clearly, around the 5:30 mark he literally does a demonstration of why he hates AAA Combat. The problem is that he's essentially done this particular argument twenty times this year so he's just pissed. He's complained a lot that AAA titles have taken all the fun out of being a reviewer.

https://youtu.be/j30PKp_Wub0?t=328

Edited by TrueNeutral

To be honest, I prefer his Let's Play channel to his reviews (because he essentially hates everything, he's like Yahtzee without the funny snark). His Outlast playthrough is hilarious and also about 3 times longer than it needs to be because he's constantly hiding in dark corners.

He doesn't like the Arkham melee system but seems to like the Batmobile tank combat... That's a bizarre opinion.

I've yet to play a single Arkham game myself, but the combat looks awful.

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

I am surprised by the reactions here, i thought that it was quite selfevident that combat in AAA-games is horribly simple.

In other news, the mod for /r/Polygon was inactive so a new mod emerged....a pro-GG one:

scQtVNq.png

• Like 1

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I've yet to play a single Arkham game myself, but the combat looks awful.

It's not though.

The combat in Arkham has never been about the challenge of just getting through the enemies. It's how you win. The challenge is winning with perfection. It's fun and pretty addictive imo.

In other news, the mod for /r/Polygon was inactive so a new mod emerged....a pro-GG one:

An explanation for non-reddit people: when the accounts of the moderators of a subreddit are inactive for long enough, you can make a request to the admins to take over the subreddit in question. This basically never happens with larger subreddits, and seems to usually only happen when someone wants to repurpose a particular subreddit name (though not always; they may just wish to jump-start an inactive community). This also happened with the subreddit "gamergate", which anti-GGers got a hold of and permanently set it to redirect towards an anti-GG subreddit. I think both these cases are kind of BS and shouldn't be allowed, but that's just me.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

I feel like I have been neglecting this thread and not engaging with you guys....sorry for that. I hope you guys don't think I was being rude ?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

No, by all means continue neglecting it. :p

:lol:  

Its nothing personal, I am just focusing on other topics 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I am surprised by the reactions here, i thought that it was quite selfevident that combat in AAA-games is horribly simple.

And that is a good thing. Well, it would be better if it was governed by character stats.

I couldn't care less about fighting games. But in RPGs, I hate it when my ability to fast-click the mouse or smash at the keyboard becomes the most important thing. His waxing lyrical about positioning, blocking, special moves, dodging and all this crap is what ruins an RPG for me. AAA or not.

[/OT]

Also, how is the video relevant to the topic?

Edited by Varana

Therefore I have sailed the seas and come

To the holy city of Byzantium. -W.B. Yeats

Χριστός ἀνέστη!

The video also touches on enthousiast games press (i.e. YouTube reviewers) vs traditional games press for a bit, as he accuses traditional games press of pandering to large publishers by giving their games-for-babies high marks, which is why I assume it got posted as "relevant" and why I didn't split it off into a seperate discussion. Yet.

And that is a good thing. Well, it would be better if it was governed by character stats.

I couldn't care less about fighting games. But in RPGs, I hate it when my ability to fast-click the mouse or smash at the keyboard becomes the most important thing. His waxing lyrical about positioning, blocking, special moves, dodging and all this crap is what ruins an RPG for me. AAA or not.

[/OT]

And that's why you have easy difficulty, so that less skilled people can play the game.

Yet the problem is with the core mechanics and how tame their are, lots of flash but no control or strategy.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

The video also touches on enthousiast games press (i.e. YouTube reviewers) vs traditional games press for a bit, as he accuses traditional games press of pandering to large publishers by giving their games-for-babies high marks, which is why I assume it got posted as "relevant" and why I didn't split it off into a seperate discussion. Yet.

But thats normal. Magazines and press have being doing this for decades. Giving good reviews for publishers in response getting first looks to drive their sales.

**** that was the reason why i stoped buying magazine over a decade ago...their online portales are just the same now.

"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, the man who never reads lives one."

[/OT]

If your ability to fast-click the mouse or smash the keyboard is the most important thing, it's not an RPG.

That said, I personally find the Arkham combat system awful (admittedly, I've only played the first one, but I did beat it.)  It's not challenging, you can basically win by just smashing the attack button.  I'd rather have something like Dark Souls (without the semi-forced PvP if you're at all interested in co-op) in terms of challenge in an action game, personally.  Or at least something that lets you make the cool looking combos yourself, like Kingdoms of Amalur (which would have been a great game if it wasn't so ridiculously easy.)

But thats normal. Magazines and press have being doing this for decades. Giving good reviews for publishers in response getting first looks to drive their sales.

**** that was the reason why i stoped buying magazine over a decade ago...their online portales are just the same now.

I don't think status quo neccesarily equals desired or even acceptable behaviour.

Yup. That was my intension.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I watch the maker of said video stream on Twitch a lot and he mentioned he's gotten a share of abuse and death threats for his negative Arkham Knight and Witcher 3 reviews and that happens every time he negatively reviews a popular AAA title.

Got to be honest nothing in this thread I am finding interesting enough to engage in debate in ...sorry guys

But I don't like starting a debate unless I feel I can commit to it 

John Milton