Journalism and bias in the gaming industry

Blarghagh

Seems like giant censorship push has started.

Reddit announcement.

"We’re banning behavior, not ideas." Unsurprisingly that doesn't seem to be the case.

KotakuInAction getting vote locked.

Twitter announcement. If you don't think this is bad, Twitter is working with Randi Harper who made the horrible block list based on guilt by association.

Didn't she just get into a spat with Anne Rice over leaving bad reviews on books she didn't read? Seems like a strange person to work against harassment with.

As to the reddit stuff, I'll believe they're sincere when SRS gets nuked.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Oh no, where will all the people go to make fun of fat people?

"First they came for the fat people, yet i did nothing..."

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

"first they came for the miscacomorphs*, but I stayed silent because I didn't hate fat people"?

Pretty clear thin edge of wedge though, as the policy will absolutely inevitably be applied selectively.

*cacomorphobia is the fear of fat people, iirc, no idea if there's a 'real' term for hatred of fat people.

• Like 1

Funny how they chose which subs to ban first.
FPH, vile as it was, generally just stewed in its own little corner.
Yet subs dedicated to far more sinister things still stand, including subs that are known for doxxing people they do not like.

It's just like Twitter. Groups like ISIS have been preaching and using social media as a recruitment tool, which is a truly horrifying thought. Yet they managed to do so with only token complaints from both twitter and the press, then comes along GG and suddenly twitter is approving blocklists.

It seems that people only care about certain sensibilities.

The nicest guy on the internet, Boogie2988 has posted a video on recent events:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBmScggN-dc

Edited by GhoulishVisage

When in doubt, blame the elves.

I have always hated the word "censorship", I prefer seeing it as just removing content that isn't suitable or is considered offensive

https://news.google.com/news/story?pz=1&cf=all&ned=us&hl=en&q=reddit&ncl=dPDG6FcX47-qstMWD6wTE4BlVwzrM&cf=all&scoring=n

Someone should do a cross-check between the authors of these articles and the "gamers are dead"-articles.

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Here is the thing. Sure, who cares if some threads that are mean to fat people get deleted. But it wont end there if the PC cult isn't held in check. They'll turn everything into a giant "safe space". First you get banned for posting a fat people meme, next you'll be getting banned for using the word "bossy" or something equally ridiculous.

Apparently some subs are being votelocked so their posts can't reach the front page. Curious.

Didn't she just get into a spat with Anne Rice over leaving bad reviews on books she didn't read? Seems like a strange person to work against harassment with.

Doubt that matters, it's ok to harass and brigade if the target is right, I guess their thinking goes.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

https://news.google.com/news/story?pz=1&cf=all&ned=us&hl=en&q=reddit&ncl=dPDG6FcX47-qstMWD6wTE4BlVwzrM&cf=all&scoring=n

Someone should do a cross-check between the authors of these articles and the "gamers are dead"-articles.

This is welcome news, Reddit is attempting to implement a semblance of moderation. Long overdue but appreciated anyway 

Today Reddit...tomorrow RPGCodex !!!   :biggrin:  

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Here is the thing. Sure, who cares if some threads that are mean to fat people get deleted. But it wont end there if the PC cult isn't held in check. They'll turn everything into a giant "safe space". First you get banned for posting a fat people meme, next you'll be getting banned for using the word "bossy" or something equally ridiculous.

Its not a cult being PC, I wish you guys wouldn't be so dramatic 

Its about treating people with respect and maintaining a level of decorum. We should be happy that some aspects of society try to be PC  :geek:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Its about treating people with respect and maintaining a level of decorum. We should be happy that some aspects of society try to be PC  geek.gif

Certainly have some that act that way. But there is a line between politeness and treating someone as sacred lest they pout a bit. Why should be happy for that, by the way ?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Its about treating people with respect and maintaining a level of decorum. We should be happy that some aspects of society try to be PC  geek.gif

Certainly have some that act that way. But there is a line between politeness and treating someone as sacred lest they pout a bit. Why should be happy for that, by the way ?

Well in its proper implementation PC is suppose to be a way of making a point about groups of people  without offending them. So for example you don't  refer to gay people as " faggots" we refer to them as " homosexuals or gay folk " 

And since we don't like people to get offended this is naturally a good thing and should make us happy

But I do accept that sometimes PC can be taken too far when it gets to the point where you suddenly cannot criticize someone for bad behavior 

John Milton 

And since we don't like people to get offended this is naturally a good thing and should make us happy

We don't, you say ? Hm. Ah well, Reddit's admins are doing this half-assed as always, they've left other hate subs that don't leave their box, heh. Would be nice if this backlash led to the site's decline though.

We don't, you say ? Hm. Ah well, Reddit's admins are doing this half-assed as always, they've left other hate subs that don't leave their box, heh. Would be nice if this backlash led to the site's decline though.

Don't you support Reddit ?

John Milton 

Not really, it's useful for time wasting but large swathes of the userbase deserve a torture session (Chelsea fans, for example).

So I wonder how many alternate forums have opened their arms and welcomed Reddit's ejected membership?

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

This is sad..what is the purpose of  a forum dedicated to hating fat people ?

Why aren't you guys condemning this...at least because its so juvenile ? 

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

It's called "principle".

If you are for free speech, then you have to allow all speech, especially the kind of speech that you like the least.

Why? Because anonymity and free speech is the closest thing you can get to a truly honest opinion.

• Like 1

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

It's called "principle".

If you are for free speech, then you have to allow all speech, especially the kind of speech that you like the least.

Why? Because anonymity and free speech is the closest thing you can get to a truly honest opinion.

Is that  forum really an example of free speech that needs to be protected?

Or a knee-jerk reaction to some stupid and insipid concept  that was banned on Reddit?

Also how is saying you hate fat people honest?

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

Nah, homeless people freezing to death is sad, this is just people being jerks online as they are pretty much everywhere. As for the lack of condemnation, that's pretty much it, not to mention it'd be useless to do so here.

It is if you hate fat people :p

Edited by Malcador

Nah, homeless people freezing to death is sad, this is just people being jerks online as they are pretty much everywhere. As for the lack of condemnation, that's pretty much it, not to mention it'd be useless to do so here.

It is if you hate fat people :p

Fair enough, I agree homeless people freezing to death is more important 

But I doubt the people who participate in that forum really hate fat people. Its more to do with making a controversial point and hoping to get a reaction from people who would be offended by this type of view?

John Milton