Men killed outside Art Exhibition in Dallas

BruceVC

While the article is true overall, come on, gear meant for war zones ? Flashbangs and a carbine or SMG ? tongue.png

I'm guessing the article refers more to the $4.2bn worth of military aircraft, MRAPs and other hand-me-down hardware.

edit: btw, that comes 100% out of tax dollars.

Ah, duh, forgot about that, my mistake. If I recall right, not all the stuff was weapons and armour, but wow that is some scary lack of oversight - I like the redneck chief preparing for an NBC attack :lol:

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Better the police get it then throwing it away. Its a shame you guys never consider the environment. :no:

Thats actually  a very valid point ...why waste the hardware ?  Just because you guys are the richest country in the world it doesn't mean you have to throw away money ?

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Well, you could always scrap the weapons or sell the deadly stuff to client nations nations in need of security

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Would it have been better to have something like Judge Dredd?

At least that guy is actually enforcing the twisted laws of the future. Punisher's entire point is that he ignores the law and kills people he knows done "Bad stuff" which is exactly what you don't want LAW ENFORCEMENT to idolize.

But as I mentioned I doubt that is why they using that symbol, I really think its got to do with Chris Kyle 

I can completely understand your concern if they were using that symbol for other reasons apart from what I mentioned as the Punisher by nature isn't law abiding which would be problem for anyone who is in  law enforcement 

Except that even then, that's no excuse. In the same way it was no excuse when the Scout-Sniper teams were using the lightning bolt SS logo on their flags.  Just because somebody else is using it doesn't divorce it from the fact that it's basically a symbol for a guy who's the antethesis of the entire Justice system.

• Like 1

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

It's actually not arbitrary. Trichinosis is not something to laugh at even today. While largely eradicated from the US, it is still a problem elsewhere. The Jewish dietary laws were the easy way of limiting food-based illnesses when they were first formulated.

It's fair to say that the food safety explanation is... rather controversial.

Trichinosis is only a problem if you don't cook the meat properly- and if you hadn't cooked meat properly you've potential for a whole lot of problems whatever it is and whether or not it's kosher or halal. Chicken would be a good counter example, it's kosher but almost all chicken- even modern chicken- has things like campylobacter in it (and salmonella, and listeria in eggs plus a couple of others I can't remember- chickens are basically little bacterial fermenters, tasty but care must be taken). Cook it and store it properly and you're fine much as with pork, don't cook it and store it properly and you have a fair chance of getting life threatening food poisoning.

I may have missed it, but did we pause to consider how these two 'lone wolf' jihadis, armed with assault rifles, got shot down by a Texan rent-a-cop?

Do you chaps still have meter maids? You could raise a regiment and send them to Syria. ;)

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I have absolutely no problem with a well-trained SWAT team showing up loaded to bear.  We have practice drills to prepare for precisely that.  

I'm surprised you have drills at schools for SWAT showing up armed to the teeth. The only drills we had at our school were the once a year fire drills, if the teachers remembered to do it.

Have the cops ever arrived to actually stop a school shooting after it had started. Don't think any response time can beat the speed of a bullet. If it does ever happen you are probably screwed. Best not to dwell on it, the odds are vastly in your favor that it will never happen. 

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

I have absolutely no problem with a well-trained SWAT team showing up loaded to bear.  We have practice drills to prepare for precisely that.  

I'm surprised you have drills at schools for SWAT showing up armed to the teeth. The only drills we had at our school were the once a year fire drills, if the teachers remembered to do it.

Welcome to the post-Columbine world.

We practice Code Red drills, which involve barricading ourselves in our classroom.  I believe most states do this now.

Welcome to the post-Columbine world.

We practice Code Red drills, which involve barricading ourselves in our classroom.  I believe most states do this now.

When I was little in California... they were earthquake drills >.>

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I don't believe anyone's religion should be insulted...

While I'm generally against wonton provocation I also don't think that religion should be a sacred cow and above critique or insult, it's wonderful that we don't have blasphemy laws and I'd hate to see that change.

I don't think it's above criticism certainly, but I don't believe in gratuitous insults.

" Hate speech is free speech at least in the USA"....you right and that is why people like myself despite numerous visits to the USA don't understand this and how it is practically applied 

But Zora is also right, you could make any point you wanted about Islamic extremism without insulting the entire global Muslim community. So this whole event was an attempt to causes maximum consternation within the Muslim community and therefore get a reaction by a direct attack on there religion

WOD so you believe in the freedom of speech but don't support insults on religion, so you therefore condemn this art exhibition right ?

I don't agree with drawing the cartoons, though they certainly have a right to do that. They're doing it to get under the skin of Jihadists, but we also have many Muslim citizens and allies, so why insult them also?

I may have missed it, but did we pause to consider how these two 'lone wolf' jihadis, armed with assault rifles, got shot down by a Texan rent-a-cop?

Do you chaps still have meter maids? You could raise a regiment and send them to Syria. wink.png

Apparently it was a city policeman working security after hours, armed with a powerful handgun (.45 Glock according to CNN)

I'm sure there would be some pretty serious health code violations if you went around dumping loads of bacon.

I think what Zora is actually alluding to is if someone found a way to directly insult the entire Jewish community in the USA through some kind of " freedom of expression " there would be consequences and people wouldn't just be able to say " its okay, its just freedom of speech". I think the bacon story is just an analogy around the point he is making ?

And I agree that there would consequences that would be far reaching than just internet criticism

Actually a while back there was some controversy when the nazis wanted to march through a Jewish neighborhood, with many Holocaust survivors living there as well. The courts said they can do it though. Edited by Wrath of Dagon
  • Like 2

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

I don't agree with drawing the cartoons, though they certainly have a right to do that. They're doing it to get under the skin of Jihadists, but we also have many Muslim citizens and allies, so why insult them also?

Who is this and what have you done with WoD?  :p

Seriously, I couldn't agree with you more.   

• Like 1

"but we also have many Muslim citizens and allies, so why insult them also?
"

The FEELS THE FEELS THE FEELS.

What is hilarious that all these whiny  'the poor muslim feels are hurt' don't give a crap when other religions are mocked or made fun of.  Only Islam and to an extend Jews are obeyed when they cry like babies b/c someone mocked their religion. Islam b/c people fear extremists and Jews because peope don't want to be called Nazis. But, every time someone calls for any type of censorship they are acting like Nazi wannabes.

No group should have protected status because their feelings might get hurt. That's pathetic and anti freedom and anti goodness. If you can't mock Jihadists who commit mass murder that's really sad. And, if you can't make fun of someone's silly beliefs that also rather sad. I think it's  pathetic that people   don't eat bacon because it is 'evil' and theyd eserve to be mocked just like if I acted like a dwarf in RL I should be mocked.

Censorship is evil. PERIOD.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"

What is hilarious that all these whiny  'the poor muslim feels are hurt' don't give a crap when other religions are mocked or made fun of.  Only Islam and to an extend Jews are obeyed when they cry like babies b/c someone mocked their religion. Islam b/c people fear extremists and Jews because peope don't want to be called Nazis. But, every time someone calls for any type of censorship they are acting like Nazi wannabes.

No group should have protected status because their feelings might get hurt. That's pathetic and anti freedom and anti goodness. If you can't mock Jihadists who commit mass murder that's really sad. And, if you can't make fun of someone's silly beliefs that also rather sad. I think it's  pathetic that people   don't eat bacon because it is 'evil' and theyd eserve to be mocked just like if I acted like a dwarf in RL I should be mocked.

I don't think he was calling for censorship of the people insulting Islam as much as questioning their judgement.

Edited by Namutree

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

So I ask again " is this type of art exhibition worth it " ?

I thought you were a fan of the democratic values of the "western world"?

Should free speech only be tolerated when we like what we hear is pretty much what you are saying?

Who is then to judge what is OK and what is not OK to be critical of?

Most "civilised" countries already have a number of exceptions encoded in law that puts a limit on free speech. Would you let mob rule decide what should allowed to be said and what not?

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

"

So innocent people should be sacrificed on the alter of free speech. There is cause and effect here and a real cost to those ideals. So, although we can all agree with the principle maybe just let them have this one. Cartooning Mohammed is not vital ground that must be defended at all cost. In fact making this concession might be strategically advantageous. 

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

"So innocent people should be sacrificed on the alter of free speech. There is cause and effect here and a real cost to those ideals. So, although we can all agree with the principle maybe just let them have this one. Cartooning Mohammed is not vital ground that must be defended at all cost. In fact making this concession might be strategically advantageous. "

So.. you believe cowardice is a positive trait and threatening and bullying behaviour should be allowed to win? Okay.

In that regards, NK should be given everything they want since they threaten to bomb? Those who oppose the US also should bow to the US since he US can do what they want.

Yup. Freedom is all good but cowardice is the new positive trait.

LMAO

Now, I know. If a group/person wants soemthinjg... all they ened to do is make a threat of violence and people like Gorgon will give it to them out of fear.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I didn't say it was a desirable outcome, just that in practical terms it's the best way to deal with these people. What was achieved by this deliberate provocation other than exposing people to a dangerous situation?

removing dangerous people

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

And what is viable strategy? Bomb their home country to stone age? Monitor all people internet activity? These two evidently not working too much for US either :)

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"