Most enjoyable companions?

The only character I really dislike is Hiravias. Not because he's a badly written character or anything, it's his personality I'm simply at odds with. To a lesser degree Aloth.

Eder is somewhat boring, but I can see myself enjoying travels with all of them except for the aforementioned two.

Sagani seemed really interesting, and what I got of her conversation was good. However I put her in the stronghold pretty soon in the interest of having a second off-tank, so I haven't gotten more than her opening conversation. And Pallagina I haven't even picked up yet, so I know literally nothing of her.

I've been using Itumaak as a second offtank all the time, he was great in the role. Also an excellent choice for baiting and pulling. Particularly when the puller gets insta-dominated e.g. by spores. D:

I like Pallegina most, everyone else is below. Hiravias and Sagani aren't bad at all either.

Grieving mother I didn't give a chance to, my party was full and well balanced by the time I got her. 

Edited by Emerwyn

Enjoyable - all of them except Durance. Best one - Durance.

Durance is well written and real. Grieving Mother well written but unreal. Aloth boring and seen before. Same goes for Eder, but he has good vo and down to earth charm. Sagani has good background story but boring character. Hirasomething is funny at the times but nothing more. Kana is cool to have around, likable, but the concept feels unoriginal. Pallegina has the looks but she is undeveloped and uninteresting.

Characters that sounded lame before the release are great. Characters that I liked before the release are lame.

Oh, and that talking chair in the stronghold is just...ugh. Who wrote that and why!?

Oh, and that talking chair in the stronghold is just...ugh. Who wrote that and why!?

:( I love the talking chair. She's my bro.

Still can't say I feel comfortable sitting on that throne. ...on her lap. :p

Edited by Primislas

I'm very impressed with Eder. And a fighter is usually more difficult to make unique to their mechanics being non-flamboyant. But it also lets the creator truly focus on the persona instead of the characters gimmicks.

Kana is a cool guy, though I don't care about his personal goals. Durance's is a very strong minded maniac, I enjoy having him along. Sagani is well written, nice story. Not a very interesting character (kinda the opposite of Kana for me) but I take her along. Haven't met grieving mother, pelledina(sp?) or hiraivas yet.

Edit: forgot the companion I actually don't like so far. Aloth. Oh man I'm just sticking around hoping it'll get better and it'll be all worth it. But he sucks. So far. God damn.

Edited by Duncan

Hey, why did nobody mention Cadegund? Wasn't she supposed to be a companion or something? I am not that far into the game yet, but now I wonder if she got the cutz.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Hey, why did nobody mention Cadegund? Wasn't she supposed to be a companion or something? I am not that far into the game yet, but now I wonder if she got the cutz.

Hazarding a wild guess here, but I'm guessing that somewhere along the line in development Cadegund morphed into what is Durance today. 

Which is...interesting, to say the least.

Damn. Was looking forward to get a rifle swinging plate armor wielding fighter woman in my party. Now I'll guess I have to create my own in the tavern.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I like Eder and Sagani the most.  Eder is extremely well written, hats off to whoever did him because almost everything he 'says' fits him perfectly.

Sagani talks a lot less but I like the concept/background of the character a lot.

Top (common sense) tier:

Pallegina, Eder, Sagani

Mid tier:

Everybody else, but...

Bottom tier:

Aloth, he is not bad, the other companions just have better/more dialog.

Derpdragon of the Obsidian Order

Derpdragons everywhere. I like spears.

No sleep for the Watcher... because he was busy playing Pillars of Eternity instead.

Wow I'm surprised how many people don't like Durance.  He's been my favorite by far! 

I also like Eder, Sagani and Aloth.  Though I kinda wanna pull an Edwina on Aloth heheh.

The druid and cypher came a little too late to the party for me as I already had a solid crew by the time they showed up.

Tier 1:
Durance and Grieving Mother.

Might be that they remind me most of the PS:T companions, but I really like the way their stories unfold, and their dialgoues are great. Hated Durance for the first hour or so, then he grew on me. I loved GM from the first time I got her, there's just something about they way she's written that I really enjoy.

Tier 2 (or Tier 1B rather): Aloth, Eder & Sagani
Like them all for different reasons, Sagani and Eder seems so grounded which is feels comforting for my orlan. Aloth is interesting as well.

Tier 3: Kana

He's nice, but I tend to dislike bards in most RPGs (which chanters sorta are), too cheerful. So he's left on the sidelines most of the time.

Haven't used Pallegrina and Hiravis enough to have an opinion on them yet, only halfway through the game so. They do seem promising. Overall I think the companions are far better than the average. I really don't care at all about optimized stats either, I just want companions that give context and make the world seem more alive and real, and I think all of them pull that off well.

Edited by Kai
  • Like 4

Eder is the best so far, all around.

Sagani's character/story/quest is cool too, but I'm put off by her portrait (looks like a child's face) and voice acting (doesn't come across as fitting or believable to me).

Durance and his crazed pseudo-philosophical monologues, not sure yet. Feels like he suffers from "trying too hard to emulate Planescape Torment" syndrome. Though of course he could turn out actually interesting in the end.

Aloth and Kana, are okay I guess but not someone I'd miss role-playing wise.

Haven't gotten the others yet.

"Some ideas are so stupid that only an intellectual could believe them." -- attributed to George Orwell

After finishing the game;

1. Durance. Classic Avellone charatcer, but he works very well, and you can (at last!) talk back to him. He has a lot of interesting things to say and is probably the biggest source of information about the backstory. Plus, it takes a rather special sort of priest to refer to his goddess as a whore. Also great voice actor.

2. Hiravias. At first I thought he would be the comic relief midget, but there's much more to the character. Hats off to his writer, he has loads of hidden depths. Plus lots of funny lines. And his comeback to a certain someone at the end of the game is just brilliant.

3. Éder. Another one with hidden depths. You need to do his personal quest to understand him, but he has a pretty interesting blend of cynism and optimism. His VA did a great job.

4. Pallegina. Just the right blend of idealism and pragmatism that makes paladin types interesting. 

Kana, Sagani and Aloth kinda blend behind those. I was a Cipher so I didn't use Grieving Mother much.

• Like 2

Durance is one of the best.. like I him because I don't really like him. I don't want the NPC's to just bend to what ever I want them to. I think I even failed his quest. but that only added to my experience.

Honest warning: I'm not done yet, but I've spent many hours getting used to the characters and their interactions:

1:

- Edér: Having a calm disposition does not make you a 'flat character'. He's honest, reliable, likeable and has some pretty amusing interjections. I'm just happy to have him with me to protect my paper wizard. Not every character needs to be axe-crazy or have a background where they performed great heroics or traveled half the world - it's nice to have someone down-to-earth to balance things out.

- Durance: How is my party supposed to work without my crazy hobo veteran keeping everyone alive yet slightly rattled? I do like how most characters are perfectly able to handle his temperament - Pellagina by disdain, Sagani by sticking by her ways, Kana by being.. well, himself. No unavoidable conflict like in BG2 with Korgan-Aerie or Keldorn-Viconia here. Also one of the most interesting backgrounds thus far... In many ways he reminds of of Kreia from KOTOR2, and that's not a bad thing in my book.

- Sagani: I don't even know why I like her in particular. I think it's partially because I would group her with Edér as an honestly good person, who's also believable.

2:

- Pellagina: She can be a bit aloof, but she's not really antagonizing the other characters and her interactions are often about her taking an interest in other people. I like her pragmatism and determinism to help her country, mixed with a desire to also do the right thing. I can relate to the conflict between duty and morality.

- Kana: I just like having someone a little jolly and optimistic, yet not stupid, around. Someone needs to keep Durance from souring up the place too much. Him being this earnestly curious about the world is nice to see.

3:

- Aloth: Maybe because I'm a mage from Aedyr and didn't use him after i got Pellagina? I don't want to micromanage two wizards when I've got Durance already. Call me lazy. Unlike Edér he never really struck me as very interesting.

- Hirvinas: Just seemed pointlessly crass and I had no use for him when I found him :-l.

4:

- Grieving mother: I'm just not up to the task of the crypticism and I don't like being forced to bring her along everywhere. I only got her after I finished every side quest in Defiance Bay with my stock party from the two first groups, and now I feel like I want to complete the game with it, so I only brought her for a peaceful resolution to the quest in the place east of Dyrford. I hope I'm not missing out on a lot by not bringing her along for per personal quest?

I'll probably bring at least two of the companions from group 3 and 4 for my second play through. Aloth in particular, since I won't be a wizard then.

• Like 1

Love Durance, as in I hate Durance but he's a really memorable character. Love Eder because he's just a bit of a "lad" but with a cool story, ending of his quest left me wanting a bit more though.

Aloth was okay, liked him for having the piss taken out of him by Eder, they both have a really funny line with Sagani when she sees you doing your special thing for the first time.

Kana is okay, haven't done his story yet.

The rest are for my second playthrough, brought GM along but I was already nearly done with Act 2 and did no sidequests in Act 3.

Edited by ComplyOrDie

Tier 1:

Aloth, Edér and Sagani.

Those three are already regulars on my Team.

Aloth I liked since I met him. His weirdness at the beginning was just wonderful. Him being mage is a bonus, since I love Mages in RPG over everything. Next point he got when his plot started to be revealed to me. It reminded me of the Mage that I had created in one of my Fantasy Novels, however mine had a bit more of amnesia.

Edér was really likeable due to his character writing. He connected the concerns of religions of this game, a chevalious soul and peasant humor really well. His background story since I have siblings, too, and I adore my older siblings as well. I tried placing myself in his shoes often and that drew me deeper into the game as well.

Sagani is simply just like my mother. Tries to be nice, educated and formal in the presence of children, but also loves to swear a lot. Even my father said she reminds him of her xD

Tier 2:

Grieving Mother and Hiraivis

Grieving Mother  is a rather interesting concept, much like Cole. I liked Cole a lot in DAI, but Grieving Mother does not piek my interest that much.

Hiraivis is just way too funny. Much like Grobnar and Kelghar in NWN2. I really like his complex personality and quirky/jolly nature. He's always good for some unexpected witty one-liners xD

Tier 3:

Pallegina and Kana

Kana ruined it for me during battle actions. I like his persona, but whenever the battle started and he had to speak this darn line, it got so on my nerves that right after I got Hiraivis, he was out of the team.

Pallegina I do not mind having around, but I really don't like her persona. She's too...Paladin... I blame Cassavir for that. He ruined my view on Paladin Class Characters forever...

Tier 4:

What was his name? Durance?

The moment I saw him... I actually didn't take him along for long. Right after I got the chance to exchange him, he was out.

He's far too weird for my taste O_O

I like weird characters, but this one was just lunatic! Where is Batman? Take him to Arkham Asylum! Give me Riddler, Joker, hell the Scarecrow! But not that!!