"It's not working!"

Ichthyic

Question

at some point, not sure when, my main character started shouting:  "IT'S NOT WORKING!", every time they make an attack, no matter what kind of attack, no matter successful or not, no matter what it is she is attacking.

it's become irritating enough to actually notice.

I could understand saying that... ONCE, during a combat, IF a particular attack type was mostly or completely ignored by a specific type of monster (like trying to use cold against shades for example).

...but this is for every attack.

not game breaking... just irritating.

• Like 1

20 answers to this question

I've noticed this as well. It hasn't bugged me, no pun intended, but it is noticeable.

• Like 1

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I didn't hear this too often, but I did hear it EVERY time somebody used one of the healing talents (field medic or whatever it's called) "IT'S NOT WORKING!" and at the start of the game it was *really* confusing to me, because I assumed that it hadn't worked lol. 

• Like 3

Let's just say everyone's a pessimist.

Yeah, that's what happens. "It isn't working! Oh... Wait... No, you really *are* healed?"

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Yeah I hear it all the time when my custom priest casts Holy Radiance. Probably if there are 8 enemy targets and 6 friendly targets, chances are that it's going to miss one of them, and the message will trigger. It's a little annoying, but nothing big. Probably a good idea to fix it so that the "it's not working" messages only trigger if the attack didn't work at all on any of the targets.

That reminds me of the exclamation from BG2:  "My weapon has no effect!"   That phrase sure annoyed me back when I first played the game before I understood the effects of certain spells, resistances, and counter spells (still don't understand them all!) and I had no clue how to make the weapon have an effect.   I think the annoyance was more from being unable to beat the enemy rather than hearing the words.

My girl warrior does the same thing, saying it's not working, even though it appears to be, such as Flames of Devotion. Now that I think about it, I don't remember her saying anything like, yeah! just like that! or, that's it, right there! or whichever sound bite is supposed to be used for successful penetr--a critical hit or high damage. 

All Stop. On Screen.

I've actually gotten criticals where my character was still saying her attack wasn't working.

I've seen her say it.... when she outright kills something on a single hit critical.

uh, i'd say doing 70 damage on a critical hit at level 4, and annihilating the opponent is definitely... working.

I've actually gotten criticals where my character was still saying her attack wasn't working.

I've seen her say it.... when she outright kills something on a single hit critical.

Maybe you aren't understanding the context.  Perhaps she isn't referring to the attack not working and being unable to injure or kill her opponent but rather she's just hitting things in a futile attempt to relieve stress.   And it's not working.

Just trying to dig into the psychology of the PC is all.  :p

Edited by TCJ
  • Like 2

uh, i'd say doing 70 damage on a critical hit at level 4, and annihilating the opponent is definitely... working.

Maybe she just has issues with unemployed monsters? Would explain why she terminates them so violently.

"It's not working!!" - Headshot!

Edited by Zwiebelchen
  • Like 3

Let's just say everyone's a pessimist.

Yeah, that's what happens. "It isn't working! Oh... Wait... No, you really *are* healed?"

I noticed that game has bug that cause party members shout it's not working etc. because their heals don't do enough damage, which probably tell too much about what these characters actually would want to do to each other.

EDIT: It seems that there is no sound set for companions for healing others, but they use default in VOs for healing too, so there is no bug, but it seems to work as intended.

Edited by Elerond

Hmm yeah after further testing, it seems that the sound file is just wrongly assigned. I've had several of my characters successfully killing/critting/healing and going "It's not working!" or "Well that didn't do much" etc. 

At first I thought it triggered only when you did a AoE and for example it hit 7 enemies and missed 1, and the "It's not working" was due to the one that didn't get hit. But it's not that. It's really triggering a wrong voice message even when it's obvious that what you wanted to do was fully successful.

I've taken to believing its an anti-jinx exclamation.

"If I say it works great, it'll fail spectacularly.  I shall fool fate by announcing 'ITS NOT WORKING' very loudly so that it shall always work."

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Maybe she just has issues with unemployed monsters? Would explain why she terminates them so violently.

..maybe she's thinking of her ex every time...

"It's not working!"

headshot.

"It's not working!"

headshot.

Or maybe she just has tourette syndrom?

"Hey guys, don't you think that hat suites m- ITS NOT WORKING ... ahem, sorry ... I was trying to say that ITS NOT WORKING ... damnit!"

Anyways I don't have this bug. Maybe that only happens for one of the available voices?

Edited by Zwiebelchen
  • Like 2

"It's not working!"

headshot.

Or maybe she just has tourette syndrom?

"Hey guys, don't you think that hat suites m- ITS NOT WORKING ... ahem, sorry ... I was trying to say that ITS NOT WORKING ... damnit!"

Anyways I don't have this bug. Maybe that only happens for one of the available voices?

actually, ALL of my characters do this now, but I have noticed it only happens when they use abilities.

so the priest is always complaing his interdictions did nothing, my paladin complains her flaming strike didn't work, my wizard complains his fireball missed everything... etc.

on normal attacks, no comments are made.  only when combined with an ability.

so that at least narrows it down.