Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Companions - who wrote what?

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

Eric Fenstermaker

Eric Fenstermaker

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 38 posts

I've been asked who wrote which companions a number of times recently. I'd held off answering because there was a chance that it was going to tie into some of our PR around launch time, but I believe that is no longer the case. So for those curious:

• Aloth - Carrie Patel
  • Durance - Chris Avellone
  • Edér - me
  • Grieving Mother - Chris Avellone
  • Hiravias - Matt MacLean
  • Kana Rua - Olivia Veras
  • Pallegina - Josh Sawyer
  • Sagani - Carrie Patel

• Amentep, Leferd, Rostere and 33 others like this

Sonntam

Sonntam

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 385 posts

Nice to see all the great writers that worked on the game! Really got to remember all the names. Absolutely loved all the companions, I can't even say who I liked the most of them all. Obsidian truly has a lot of talented writers.

kaiki

kaiki

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 188 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Thanks for the list! I've been avoiding the custom companions since I've been enjoying the really great dialogue and quests that come with each of the premade companions. That you guys made this much content for such little money blows my mind. You need more kickstarters so I can give you more money, haha!

Lasci

Lasci

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 301 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Hats off to Chris for both Durance and the Grieving Mother. I'm pretty sure they're my favorite two NPC's so far.

Edited by Lasci, 01 April 2015 - 01:01 PM.

• Kai, bonarbill, quechn1tlan and 5 others like this

Rafkos

Rafkos

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 54 posts
  • Steam:rafkos1

Edér and Aloth are my favourite characters so far, great job.

Sylvanpyxie

Sylvanpyxie

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 111 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Edér is my favourite... Just because he's so freaking adorable.

Gotta love an animal lover, right?

Hatred

Hatred

(4) Theurgist

• Members.
  • 242 posts

Sagani is my favourite :)

Whosdriving

Whosdriving

The Insane Coachman of the Order

• Members
  • 77 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Eder is my favorite so far, his dialog with sagani made laugh so hard. plus the whole cheerful gallows humor thing.

Labadal

Labadal

Janitor of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3958 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

None of the characters are among my all time favorites (so far), but I like them all. I haven't recruited Pallegina yet.

Urthor

Urthor

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 215 posts
  • Steam:Urthor
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Surprised to see it was Avellone hitting it out of the park with BOTH of his, they were the truly stand out companions.  But then again the concept behind both characters was pretty fantastic to start with, probably a case of best man (read: studio owner) on the job.

TBH, Hiravias is probably the character that stood out as way better than you'd have thought he would be on paper.  Good concept, did a great job with the dialogue, and the v/a work was phenomenal as well.  

Edited by Urthor, 01 April 2015 - 03:48 PM.

Longknife

Longknife

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 996 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Good job on Eder. He's this nice little combo of "humble country boy" while simultaneously being smart and clever, just preferring things a simple way. There's a very obvious charm to it.

I'd be curious as to why Sawyer decided to make Pallegina ashamed or unhappy with her godlike state. Felt very out of character for me (or disgustingly weak, imo? Maybe it's a personal dislike) in a character I otherwise enjoyed. Durance was also a riot once his quest is completed. The scream he does during a certain scene is hilarious to me.

Oh and Kana. Kana legit reminds me of some Brazilians I went to school with, all coming to Germany to try and get an education so they can go back home and make Brazil a better place, all adoring their homeland but voicing concern for how disappointing it its. Even his outlook on life and - funnily enough - his facial structure reminded me of my Brazilian friends. Almost makes me wonder if the writer also hasn't encountered some big-hearted Brazilian hoping to show their country the potential of the world.

Edited by Longknife, 01 April 2015 - 03:53 PM.

Katarack21

Katarack21

Chief Eldritch Abomination of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3060 posts
  • Steam:Katarack21
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Good job on Eder! He's one of my favorite companions. I really enjoy his cynical, world-weary point of view and I find his cynical humor quite funny.

Thank you!

• Luckmann likes this

rf5111918

rf5111918

Time Lord of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 67 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

I've been asked who wrote which companions a number of times recently. I'd held off answering because there was a chance that it was going to tie into some of our PR around launch time, but I believe that is no longer the case. So for those curious:

• Aloth - Carrie Patel
  • Edér - me
  • Sagani - Carrie Patel

Chris can WRITE. Durance and Grieving Mother really stood out for me. 

Some of the dialogue for Hiravias was also hilarious. 

• Luckmann likes this

Heijoushin

Heijoushin

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1293 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Durance and Grieving Mother were definitely interesting. Though at times it was hard to tell what the heck they were going on about;)

I also like Aloth and Eder... those two are just very likable.

• Luckmann likes this

Aramintai

Aramintai

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1424 posts
  • Steam:Aramintai
  • PSN Portable ID:Aramintai
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Avellone's npcs were the most interesting ones, imho. I've high hopes for his companion in Torment: Tides of Numenera.

• Luckmann and Kai like this

Leferd

Leferd

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2903 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Thanks for the info Eric. Really enjoying the NPC's.

Luckmann

Luckmann

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3497 posts

• Aloth - Carrie Patel
  • Edér - me
  • Sagani - Carrie Patel

Well then a cookie to you for Edér. I really like Edér, a truly down-to-Earth character that doesn't feel like he's there to make some odd point or have a schtick. Other than that, Avellone should write more characters. Just.. more. No, have him write like 18. Grieving Mother is psychadelic and Durance is bloody amazing.

Hiravias is.. what little I've seen, hilarious.

But either way, there's some real great characters here. Great, great job.

Spoiler

Edited by Luckmann, 02 April 2015 - 08:56 AM.

Jasta11

Jasta11

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 147 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

So far I've really liked Hiaravias and Kana a lot. The former in particular is pretty funny.

Edér reads like an Alistair (from DA:O) with more gallows humor. He's also a blond sword ans shield warrior type whose quest revolves around family issues. Not that it's a bad thing at all, the similarities are just amusing.

Haven't used Grieving Mother a lot since my PC is a Cipher.

Durance, however, is freaking fantastic. He's a classic ChrisA character, but you can talk back to him and unlike, say, Ulysses, his struggles made me feel for him. he's going through the mother of all crises of faith.

Gallenger

Gallenger

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 219 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I was pretty nervous about eder - I thought he was going to turn into the perpetually whiny NPC that seems to have been made obligatory in games recently - but he ended up being one of my favorites hands down.  I really didn't have any issues with any of the NPCs all were lots of fun and I found myself really enjoying just getting to talk to them - I honestly didn't expect so much NPC interaction lol.   

Stun

Stun

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2857 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Durance is my favorite. Leave it to Chris Avellone to write the perfect party freak.
  • Luckmann and Bhazor like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users