List of bugs that everyone should know about (Game Breaking)

zephiris

Question

Hello Developers,

As much as I love this game, I can not play the game in its current form. Which really saddens me. 

The reason being there are a few game breaking bugs that we can not even reverse ourselves.

List of game breaking bugs you should be aware about and fixing ASAP next patch. As we can NOT play the game as intended!!

Nr 1 http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/73449-stat-bonus-modifiers-can-erroneously-be-applied-multiple-times-allowing-stats-to-grow-beyond-intended-values/ 

The mother of all game breaking bugs and the main reason so many people are complaining that the game is too easy on HARD difficulty.

Loading a Savegame in the same map where you picked up a companion, and the companion is wearing armor that boost <random stats>.

Each time you load a savegame, the stats increase! do it 100 times and your character is INVINCIBLE. 

Nr 2 http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/72923-psa-game-breaking-bug-affecting-everyone-including-you-temporary-fix-for-party-members-only-currently/

Double clicking on a item (like armor, boots etc) and then it equipping on said character his perma stats disappear.

Nr 3: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/72764-quick-saving-and-loading-times-increased-greatly-after-20-hours/

I personally didnt experience this yet, but this also hinders gameplay that much that it falls under the category game breaking.

The more you save, the longer it takes to load/save again, people reporting 20-30 hours into the game saves are taking aprox 30 sec to quicksave, and similar time to load.

Nr 4: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/73289-so-many-bugs/

Summoning Bug, where after combat the summoned creatures do NOT despawn, leaving you permanently in combat. You can NOT control

your summoned creatures anymore and they go with you every map... Workaround is probably loading a previous save for now but I have not confirmed this.

Similar thing to Stronghold, there is also a bug at the stronghold that after an enemy wave and you kill it. They keep coming back EVERY time you visit. I tried finding the source but couldnt find it here,, the lovely search function on this forum seems missing.

nr 5: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/72614-endless-paths-level-13-is-uncompletable-major-bug/

Endless Path level 13, spirits not giving password so you can not continue.

Nr 6 : http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/73704-bugged-stronghold-tax/ http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/73737-empty-treasury/

Strong Hold doesn't give tax, it only claims taxes  (lol). There are multiple topics about it, I just picked out these 2.

Edited by zephiris
  • Like 23

Nothing beats coming home after a hard day's work expecting to play Pillars of Eternity for a few hours before going to bed, only to realize the thing is so buggy you end up spending those hours performing the role of an unpaid game tester instead.

This game is great, but the state it has been released in is inexcusable. Why do developers keep doing this (don't bother answering, I know why, it's because we keep accepting it)? So far I have encountered five bugs that, while not strictly game breaking, are still bad enough that I'm not going to play this game again until they're fixed.

Some of these issues may have been acknowledged by Obsidian, but I'll list them anyway (I'm not scrolling through every thread to see if they have):

- Plague of insects never wears off and the debuffs are permanent.

- A character's inventory will vanish when dismissing him/her from the party and then adding him/her later on.

- If you gain an additional weapon slot either through leveling or due to racial bonus (island Aumaua) it gets locked again after a while (this also happens to the Aumaua companion).

- You don't receive any taxes from the stronghold. They don't appear in the treasury and they don't get transferred directly to your inventory either.

- The hirelings at the stronghold don't get paid (game keeps listing them as currently unpaid even if you have more than enough money to pay them).

The last two may not be bugs, but I suspect they are. Even if they aren't, the first three (plus all the ones that have been mentioned in this thread) are enough that I can't enjoy the game due to always being on the look out for things that might potentially break or diminish it. I don't really care much for excuses. I paid 40 euros for this product, so it should work. Get it fixed.

Well, hopefully they get a patch out in the next few days that resolves a lot of these. I'm about a third of the way through the game but planning on restarting anyway, with a cipher, but I definitely don't want to do that until they fix some of the bugs.

Speaking of which, I didn't see (did I miss it) the Cipher bug related to the couple of items, per this thread: https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/72492-bug-cipher-focus-gain-permanently-disabled-by-drinking-horn-of-moderation/

I'd say that's pretty game-breaking if your PC is a Cipher.

It's not gamebreaking, just as ~95% of the others bugs mentioned here. I'm playing a Cipher on hard difficulty and had this bug since I equipped that amulet as well. It's annoying and kinda spoils the fun of playing a Cipher but it's by no means at all gamebreaking...

You guys should think a bit more before you call a bug gambreaking. A bug might make the game less fun or even frustrating to play but gamebreaking means you literaly can't play the game anymore, even if you could get over being annoyed or frustrated about a bug. I have bugs too, I'm annoyed and sometimes frustrated too that the game got through QA in this state but this overdramatizing that is going on here, calling every little bug gamebreaking is ridiculous...

Also, some of you who cry for patches and demand to get the patch yesterday should maybe give this http://mrlizard.com/rants/why-havent-they-fixed-this-bug/ a read, even though it's mainly about MMOs it also applies to other games.

just my 2 cents

Why are we getting bogged down by this pointless discussion about whether or not a bug is game breaking? The point is that many of these bugs are severe enough that they ruin/interfere with many people's enjoyment of the game. That is bad enough.

• Like 3

Adam Brennecke @adam_brennecke 2h2 hours ago

The next patch for Pillars should be able to restore most of the stats bugs that people are encountering.

Adam Brennecke @adam_brennecke 2h2 hours ago

Including the animal companion issues.

Woot.

Quote from that tweet:

The next patch for Pillars SHOULD be able to restore MOST of the stats bugs that people are encountering.

• Like 1

Typos? Aliens. Errors? Aliens!

I disagree about pinning the topic, because most of these bugs are not game breaking. "Game breaking" means "makes it impossible to play the game". Making characters stronger, wiping a few active abilities, or making it impossible to complete some optional content is not game breaking.

We'll get a patch later this week that will likely balance some of these issues, but it's completely possible to play the game start to finish without a hotfix.

Well, Durance is around plus 4600% DMG. I killed Adra Dragon with 1 hit! For me this is a game breaking.

To me it sounds like the opposite - it's making it easier for you to play the game, not harder.

Not everyone wants to cheese their way through the game because of bugs....

• Like 1

Nothing beats coming home after a hard day's work expecting to play Pillars of Eternity for a few hours before going to bed, only to realize the thing is so buggy you end up spending those hours performing the role of an unpaid game tester instead.

This game is great, but the state it has been released in is inexcusable. Why do developers keep doing this (don't bother answering, I know why, it's because we keep accepting it)? So far I have encountered five bugs that, while not strictly game breaking, are still bad enough that I'm not going to play this game again until they're fixed.

Some of these issues may have been acknowledged by Obsidian, but I'll list them anyway (I'm not scrolling through every thread to see if they have):

- A character's inventory will vanish when dismissing him/her from the party and then adding him/her later on.

- If you gain an additional weapon slot either through leveling or due to racial bonus (island Aumaua) it gets locked again after a while (this also happens to the Aumaua companion).

- You don't receive any taxes from the stronghold. They don't appear in the treasury and they don't get transferred directly to your inventory either.

- The hirelings at the stronghold don't get paid (game keeps listing them as currently unpaid even if you have more than enough money to pay them).

The last two may not be bugs, but I suspect they are. Even if they aren't, the first three (plus all the ones that have been mentioned in this thread) are enough that I can't enjoy the game due to always being on the look out for things that might potentially break or diminish it. I don't really care much for excuses. I paid 40 euros for this product, so it should work. Get it fixed.

Well I wouldn't exactly call it "inexcusable", considering this game has far less "gamebreaking bugs" than most AAA titles these days and those have budgets that amount to 100s of millions of $. Personally I did notice several bugs while playing, but none of them were "game-breaking", some repeat audio problems (when I turned short tutorial msgs), that I fixed by disabling tutorial msgs all together, several small combat issues when I got interrupted while trying to drink a potion, stacking active effects bug (strangely only on my main character, I noticed totaly by accident that my fire-godlike's battle forged DR stayed active non-stop and stacked with itself) and a minor issue of Monk's Transcendent Suffering not being affected by Might dmg increase.

Still the game is more than playable, especially when compared with some other recent games that were launched in a state so broken you couldn't play for more than 10 minutes without crashing to desktop due to memory leaks, directX violation or just plain simple code problems. Not to mention some older games that had their main quest totally broken that you needed to use cheat codes to progress further (Sacred 1, VTM: Bloodlines).

All in all PoE came out in a pretty decent state (IMO), there are still buggs but hopefully Obsidian will fix them soon enough, and TBH I prefer to wait for them to make a good patch and address these issues corectly, than have them rush a hotfix that ends up causing more problems than it solves (Hello Bioware!).

"We must all fear evil men. But there is a kind of evil we must fear most and that is the indifference of good men!"

I didn't see this bug in here, but it should be added to the list. This is truly game-breaking and it happened to me:

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/73273-maerwald-dialogue-bug-in-caed-nua/

I'm pretty much done with this game for a few months. I couldn't make it to Defiance Bay without main-quest-breaking, companion-ruining bugs. Once the game gets a few patches under its belt I'll pick it back up, and hopefully I won't have to restart three times in two days.

This is really bad, even for an Obsidian game.

• Like 1

Update on workaround for stat-stacking bug

Hi, tfigment released v9 of his CT file, now including various Accuracy Bonuses. I modified his original file to include Endurance Bonus, Healing Bonus, and AOE Bonus. However, I cannot find DR data anywhere, may be it is calculated by code, and isn't a variable.

My latest moded CT File: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4w071v6jhfe6wns/PillarsOfEternity_1.0.2_figment_v9_add_end_heal_aoe_bonuses.CT?dl=0

Original tfigment's CT file: http://forum.cheatengine.org/viewtopic.php?t=580596

Original thread at reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/projecteternity/comments/30x84n/unofficial_bugfix_easy_fix_for_attributesdefences/.compact

Edited by sanpats

Folks, I understand the wide range of sentiments expressed here. It's not fun to deal with issues where, ideally, there should be none.

Rest assured, we've been working on getting anything that comes up addressed as soon as possible.

I want you to know that we appreciate your patience and support. I hope we can return the kindness in the way we know best - continuing to make this game awesome.

Thanks, everyone.

Jorge

• Like 10

Update on workaround for stat-stacking bug

Hi, tfigment released v9 of his CT file, now including various Accuracy Bonuses. I modified his original file to include Endurance Bonus, Healing Bonus, and AOE Bonus. However, I cannot find DR data anywhere, may be it is calculated by code, and isn't a variable.

My latest moded CT File: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4w071v6jhfe6wns/PillarsOfEternity_1.0.2_figment_v9_add_end_heal_aoe_bonuses.CT?dl=0

Original tfigment's CT file: http://forum.cheatengine.org/viewtopic.php?t=580596

Original thread at reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/projecteternity/comments/30x84n/unofficial_bugfix_easy_fix_for_attributesdefences/.compact

Dev said this should not break the coming patch: https://twitter.com/adam_brennecke/status/583043829244125184

The bugs are a game breaker for me as well. :(

Honestly, and I really am somewhat pissed off. I bought a game I really had been looking forward to, just to find out it is not working well and better left alone for until it is patched into a state where I can consider it playable. :down:

"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, but I'm not absolutely sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Well I wouldn't exactly call it "inexcusable", considering this game has far less "gamebreaking bugs" than most AAA titles these days and those have budgets that amount to 100s of millions of $. Personally I did notice several bugs while playing, but none of them were "game-breaking", some repeat audio problems (when I turned short tutorial msgs), that I fixed by disabling tutorial msgs all together, several small combat issues when I got interrupted while trying to drink a potion, stacking active effects bug (strangely only on my main character, I noticed totaly by accident that my fire-godlike's battle forged DR stayed active non-stop and stacked with itself) and a minor issue of Monk's Transcendent Suffering not being affected by Might dmg increase.

Still the game is more than playable, especially when compared with some other recent games that were launched in a state so broken you couldn't play for more than 10 minutes without crashing to desktop due to memory leaks, directX violation or just plain simple code problems. Not to mention some older games that had their main quest totally broken that you needed to use cheat codes to progress further (Sacred 1, VTM: Bloodlines).

All in all PoE came out in a pretty decent state (IMO), there are still buggs but hopefully Obsidian will fix them soon enough, and TBH I prefer to wait for them to make a good patch and address these issues corectly, than have them rush a hotfix that ends up causing more problems than it solves (Hello Bioware!).

The fact that other titles are more broken than PoE doesn't really absolve Obsidian of blame. And the fact that you, personally, haven't experienced the same bugs as others doesn't mean they're not there. Also, even if the bugs are not gamebreaking, they can still undermine your enjoyment of the game severely (which I already explained). When I play a game I want to relax, not constantly worry that if I forget to check my character stats every other minute I might be stuck with a permanent debuff.

So yeah, the game is not totally broken and it came out in a better state than some other titles. You somehow seem to think that this makes everything acceptable, which quite frankly I don't get. Obsidian might manage a slightly higher standard than some triple A studios when it comes to dealing with bugs, but the standard is obviously still too low compared to what should be acceptable.

No I don't think it makes "everything allright" if I did think like that why would I even bother posting anything on this thread? Let's just focus on pinpointing bugs in this thread and leave other discussions for other threads (sry for sidetracking during that last post)

Anyways another minor issue I noticed (mby it was reported I don't know) is that many of the skills in game, especially skills that in some whay modify wpn dmg during combat are not working corectly, another one I found is Monk's lightning fists that should add +10% dmg, instead they add just 1%, also when used in combination with Turning Wheel ability (but only when you stack 2 or more wounds) the Lightning Strike works as intended, once you spend the wounds it reverts back to doing just 1% dmg.

"We must all fear evil men. But there is a kind of evil we must fear most and that is the indifference of good men!"

Wounds not working as described during development would be nice to see fixed.  Currently you take damage and spend wounds...and that's it.  There's no observable damage threshold protection with overflow causing wounds to bleed and having to balance spending them to alleviate that or accrue more to make certain talents more powerful.

Folks, I understand the wide range of sentiments expressed here. It's not fun to deal with issues where, ideally, there should be none.

Rest assured, we've been working on getting anything that comes up addressed as soon as possible.

I want you to know that we appreciate your patience and support. I hope we can return the kindness in the way we know best - continuing to make this game awesome.

Thanks, everyone.

Jorge

Thanks Jorge,

Is it possible to get a quick update if the stat duplicating bug works on current savegames? Or is it inevitable to restart? Not that I mind restarting (that much).

But it is something that I was wondering for a while, since I would love to continue playing on the current save, but can also understand it might not be possible.

Found a bug that will permanently ruin a cipher:

If you equip the neck item "Talisman of the unconquerable" on a cipher he will suddenly only be able to generate 2 focus per hit, even with draining whip,aswell as get a permanent +2 int bonus.

If you remove the item he will no longer be able to generate focus in combat at all.

• Like 2

Hi,

i started the headhnter quests.

And i can't believe it (sry my english) the second quest and i can't gain the head.

It is Cyrdel ind Magmars whatever.
No Head nothing.
I tryed it several times always the same no head, so the quest is still open but he is gone.

And as i read correctly if i dont fullfill the first four headhunter quest i don't get the next quests which would be awesome ****.
Cause i am some Baldurs Gate guy which want to explore everything!!! :-)

Please what can i do?

Will there will be fixes in future?

When do you guys think the patch will come out? any hints in the forum? being as lazy as i am i did not search it very much...i know the devs said this week.

Other than that?

1.03 this week (confirmed by obsidian, currently being tested)

1.04 next week (my guess)

I fund two +2 int amulets and was swapping them between my wizard and priest ...

Yrt8Yt0.png

Its Talisman of the Unconquerable thats broken, it seems the +2 intellect buff keep applying itself over and over again.

Edited by Mungri

So I'll just put my disappearing Aloth bug here, it doesn't seem to be getting much attention, so maybe its only me. But I would like it fixed as it's pretty bad. Who knows how else this bug can creep up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nphWpgm-SLc

No, it's not just you. 

Here I am at an inn, about to swap characters. Only to find Kana missing. I found him stuck somewhere else.

The same thing happened with Grieving Mother.