List of bugs that everyone should know about (Game Breaking)

zephiris

Question

Hello Developers,

As much as I love this game, I can not play the game in its current form. Which really saddens me. 

The reason being there are a few game breaking bugs that we can not even reverse ourselves.

List of game breaking bugs you should be aware about and fixing ASAP next patch. As we can NOT play the game as intended!!

Nr 1 http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/73449-stat-bonus-modifiers-can-erroneously-be-applied-multiple-times-allowing-stats-to-grow-beyond-intended-values/ 

The mother of all game breaking bugs and the main reason so many people are complaining that the game is too easy on HARD difficulty.

Loading a Savegame in the same map where you picked up a companion, and the companion is wearing armor that boost <random stats>.

Each time you load a savegame, the stats increase! do it 100 times and your character is INVINCIBLE. 

Nr 2 http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/72923-psa-game-breaking-bug-affecting-everyone-including-you-temporary-fix-for-party-members-only-currently/

Double clicking on a item (like armor, boots etc) and then it equipping on said character his perma stats disappear.

Nr 3: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/72764-quick-saving-and-loading-times-increased-greatly-after-20-hours/

I personally didnt experience this yet, but this also hinders gameplay that much that it falls under the category game breaking.

The more you save, the longer it takes to load/save again, people reporting 20-30 hours into the game saves are taking aprox 30 sec to quicksave, and similar time to load.

Nr 4: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/73289-so-many-bugs/

Summoning Bug, where after combat the summoned creatures do NOT despawn, leaving you permanently in combat. You can NOT control

your summoned creatures anymore and they go with you every map... Workaround is probably loading a previous save for now but I have not confirmed this.

Similar thing to Stronghold, there is also a bug at the stronghold that after an enemy wave and you kill it. They keep coming back EVERY time you visit. I tried finding the source but couldnt find it here,, the lovely search function on this forum seems missing.

nr 5: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/72614-endless-paths-level-13-is-uncompletable-major-bug/

Endless Path level 13, spirits not giving password so you can not continue.

Nr 6 : http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/73704-bugged-stronghold-tax/ http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/73737-empty-treasury/

Strong Hold doesn't give tax, it only claims taxes  (lol). There are multiple topics about it, I just picked out these 2.

Edited by zephiris
  • Like 23

I have to say something because I think we're not doing the game justice. Yes there are bugs, some are really weird and have significant impact BUT:
- They don't break the game except of rare occurences

- I PERSONALLY haven't dealt with any of them. I never doubled clicked and even though I play a ranger never had a problem with my animal companion. Also I finished Raedric and had no issues what so ever. 

So please let's be calm. The game is certainly not a buggy mess. It has bugs, as all games do on release, but it's a wonderful experience none the less. 
Still I find this list useful and important to maintain

The bugs are certainly annoying and mean I'm not playing until patched but, really, its only been 3 days guys.

With game breaking bugs you kinda have to put the team on overtime. Other games in the past with bugs breaking the game have had hotfixes in the range from a few hours to a day.

They have been working.  I had a QA guy message me on Sunday to ask about a bug I was experiencing, and a dev said they've got a fix done and being tested for the double-clicking items bug.

I love the game but the bugs are pretty terrible and many really are game breaking. No over drama here, I really do think the game is terrific but I just can't play it because the bugs have broken my game. I'll have start over and want it stable when I do so I can really enjoy it.

Edited by AstroCat
  • Like 1

Home/Gaming PC: I7-9700K@4.9GHz/Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero/EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC ULTRA /Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB)/Corsair Carbide Quiet 600Q/Corsair RM750i/LG 32GK850G 31.5"/BenQ G2400W 24"/Sound Blaster ZX/Samsung 970 EVO x2, 850 PRO x1/Win10 Pro 64bit/Saitek X52/TrackIR5 - TrackClip Pro

I disagree about pinning the topic, because most of these bugs are not game breaking. "Game breaking" means "makes it impossible to play the game". Making characters stronger, wiping a few active abilities, or making it impossible to complete some optional content is not game breaking.

We'll get a patch later this week that will likely balance some of these issues, but it's completely possible to play the game start to finish without a hotfix.

This reads like an up-in-arms, white knight post to me.  I think if a bug materially alters, limits, hinders, or diminishes central gameplay elements, including major questlines, equipment, and so on, that qualifies as "game-breaking," since it derails you from the planned trajectory of the game.

• Like 6

I have to say something because I think we're not doing the game justice. Yes there are bugs, some are really weird and have significant impact BUT:

- I PERSONALLY haven't dealt with any of them. I never doubled clicked and even though I play a ranger never had a problem with my animal companion. Also I finished Raedric and had no issues what so ever. 

So please let's be calm. The game is certainly not a buggy mess. It has bugs, as all games do on release, but it's a wonderful experience none the less. 

lol

You should look at you party member stats...chances are they're super buffed. I don't know really know how it happened, but Eder has 827 health at lvl 3. LOL. I think it might have to do with a food buff and loading/saving bug? I stopped playing.

I just have to accept that new releases are paid open-betas.

Edited by McPartyson
  • Like 1

Related to some bugs here :

Casting Firebrand spell for druid, and saving after combat while still active = loss of weapons in weapon slot after + cant equip anymore a shield in weapon slot

more details here :

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/73380-druid-firebrand-spell-is-game-breaker-after-a-reload-if-still-active-prevent-equiping-weapon/

no workaround exept reloading a save before Firebrand casting

If the spell is something that replaces their weapon with a magical summoned one like the wizard's corroding staff, I believe they've said there'll be a fix in the first patch that also fixes saved games.

lol

You should look at you party member stats...chances are they're super buffed. I don't know really know how it happened, but Eder has 827 health at lvl 3. LOL. I think it might have to do with a food buff and loading/saving bug? I stopped playing.

I just have to accept that new releases are paid open-betas.

I'm pretty sure you faced this weird "saving and loading in areas that you get companions" bug. I actually didn't do that, somehow. Lucky I guess. Still being buffed is not "game breaking", certainly very awkward and imbalancing though.

Guest Matt Sheets

For the level 13 Od Nua issue, there's a certain main quest that will allow you to pass this point.

Unfortunately the Strategy Guide is missing that step and I don't want to post any spoilers.

• Like 1

Well, hopefully they get a patch out in the next few days that resolves a lot of these. I'm about a third of the way through the game but planning on restarting anyway, with a cipher, but I definitely don't want to do that until they fix some of the bugs.

Speaking of which, I didn't see (did I miss it) the Cipher bug related to the couple of items, per this thread: https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/72492-bug-cipher-focus-gain-permanently-disabled-by-drinking-horn-of-moderation/

I'd say that's pretty game-breaking if your PC is a Cipher.

I think for the sake of good PR...

*It would be nice if Obsideon would pin a patch notice, if at all possible, or at the very least a post indicating that "We are getting this and woriking on it."

*An official list of defects that are being tracked and pin it to this list, so the boards don't get too crowded with repeat issues. A quick place for us to see if the problem we are experiencing is already noted. This way (hopefully) the new posts are new problems, not repeats. It is really hard right now to search the posts to see if the problem you are having has already been posted.

I think the rest of us posting here need to take a step back and realize that it takes a significant amount of time to reproduce the issues being presented so that they can fix it in the code. Without understanding what the real underlying issue is, how can any programmer make a fix in code? And, once you have a fix, that fix needs to be tested as broadly as possible to verify that you did not break anything. Patience everyone. I'm sure Obsideon is working on this. Also, keep in mind that some of these issues may be realted to the Unity Engine. Obsideon didn't develop Unity, they use Unity. Any Unity issues need to be fixed by the Unity team. And they have to go through the same development/test itterations to validate fixes.

My .002 (Speaking as a QA guy)

Edited by Plazmid
  • Like 6

*It would be nice if Obsideon would pin a patch notice, if at all possible, or at the very least a post indicating that "We are getting this and woriking on it."

*An official list of defects that are being tracked and pin it to this list, so the boards don't get too crowded with repeat issues. A quick place for us to see if the problem we are experiencing is already noted. This way (hopefully) the new posts are new problems, not repeats. It is really hard right now to search the posts to see if the problem you are having has already been posted.

I think the rest of us posting here need to take a step back and realize that it takes a significant amount of time to reproduce the issues being presented so that they can fix it in the code. Without understanding what the real underlying issue is, how can any programmer make a fix in code? And, once you have a fix, that fix needs to be tested as broadly as possible to verify that you did not break anything. Patience everyone. I'm sure Obsideon is working on this. Also, keep in mind that some of these issues may be realted to the Unity Engine. Obsideon didn't develop Unity, they use Unity. Any Unity issues need to be fixed by the Unity team. And they have to go through the same development/test itterations to validate fixes.

Well said, although I'm dying to learn about this Obsideon developer that you made multiple references to.  Are they also a maker of isometric RPGs?  :p

• Like 1

This game should be named Temple of Elemental Evil 2. Some of these bugs make me wonder what were the beta-testers doing...

There are, too, some memory leak issues crashing the game for 32-bit systems while the game is sold as 32-bit comaptible. This is big.

Unpaid beta testers are NEVER responsible for QA regardless of game. If you want to throw aspersions at anybody, do it at the people responsible for the game, namely those with a financial stake in the outcome and the authority to decide what is to be done during the development process, the game developers and publishers.

If for some reason the developers for a game haven't gotten as much as they wished out of their unpaid beta team, the fault is not the beta team's but a beta process that for whatever reason wasn't up to scratch, whether because it was badly run, had too great expectations, or failed in selecting or attracting a good group of active betas.

I am not saying that that was the case for Project Eternity. I have no idea how well the beta process was run on a weekly basis or how valuable the feedback was to the devteam, it may have been good, it may have been bad - I have no way to know.

But I object on general principles to people taking aim at the only people involved in the game development process who contribute their time for free and have zero authority to change the outcome. It is unworthy of you.

• Like 2

When I said death before dishonour, I meant it alphabetically.

Related to some bugs here :

Casting Firebrand spell for druid, and saving after combat while still active = loss of weapons in weapon slot after + cant equip anymore a shield in weapon slot

more details here :

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/73380-druid-firebrand-spell-is-game-breaker-after-a-reload-if-still-active-prevent-equiping-weapon/

no workaround exept reloading a save before Firebrand casting

If the spell is something that replaces their weapon with a magical summoned one like the wizard's corroding staff, I believe they've said there'll be a fix in the first patch that also fixes saved games.

It is more complex than just that (though its basically the problem). The spell replace the weapon, and any weapons in the weapon set is removed from game, and you cant equip any ofhand weapon anymore or shield, if you recast Firebrand, which "partially fix" the problem.

Edited by vahadar

My apologies to Obsidian. As I can't edit my post, I must lament my overly-fast typo ridden post. Including, it seems, my new name for your company. :)

BTW, I never said I could QA my own posts ;)

• Like 1

Well said, although I'm dying to learn about this Obsideon developer that you made multiple references to.  Are they also a maker of isometric RPGs?   :p

Now I have to laugh. At myself. :)

• Like 1

Well said, although I'm dying to learn about this Obsideon developer that you made multiple references to.  Are they also a maker of isometric RPGs?   :p

Now I have to laugh. At myself. :)

I have to admit I laughed too, mostly just because there's something funny looking about "Obsideon." It looks like the name of a comic book villain :)

• Like 2

Man, I'm super paranoid while playing this. I'm afraid to do anything xD. Double clicking anything is no go. Gotta double check stats, anytime I change gear. Gotta keep track of items put into stash, etc, in case they decide to vanish, etc ,etc. This game had a nice slower pasing to begin with, but with all of these issues, it's a snails' pace.

It's tiring ;p

• Like 7

The bugs are certainly annoying and mean I'm not playing until patched but, really, its only been 3 days guys.

With game breaking bugs you kinda have to put the team on overtime. Other games in the past with bugs breaking the game have had hotfixes in the range from a few hours to a day.

Not many games other then MMO's do this.  Single player off line games and even some with online components often do not get patchs, even for game breaking things, for a week or 2.

Not many games other then MMO's do this.  Single player off line games and even some with online components often do not get patchs, even for game breaking things, for a week or 2.

The problem isn't the speed of the patching, it's the fact that they released the game in this state. Somehow, they didn't catch any of these hilariously game-breaking bugs. It affects every single person playing this game, even if they haven't yet realised it.

As it stands, it's unplayable. Not just for a few people, for everyone. When the patch comes out it may not even be able to retroactively fix all the major issues, requiring a restart of the entire game. Obsidian has inadvertently wasted all of our time (even though that is the point of a game anyway, you understand what I mean). I myself played for days before deleting my saves after realising that all my stats were screwed up, my rangers bear was gone, and it took 30 seconds to load on a 500 dollar SSD.

A more buggy game release doesn't immediately come to mind.

• Like 3

Guest aeolisio

I have found a working savegame fix the will load savegames and create new working non corrupt savegames

This has been tested and working on 3 different machines with 5 different save files myself and have had 2 other friends fix their savegames with this method.

First delete the folder C:\Users\username\AppData\LocalLow\Obsidian Entertainment

Then delete the folder C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Temp\Obsidian Entertainment

If you have any saves in C:\Users\username\Documents\My Games\Pillars of Eternity 

Copy them to C:\Users\username\Saved Games\Pillars of Eternity

Run the game as admin and load the most recent save

Move your char and save a new save.  

Without exiting the game reload that new save.

Save again in the same save.

Exit the game.

That should work and create new files in LocalLow and Local\Temp

Though its probably unnecessary before i exit i save then i load my save and resave the same save everytime before i exit the game now.  I have my 60+ hour save now to 85 hours without an issue on multiple machines.

Please dont ask questions or expect me to explain this again if it works great if it doesnt or you cant figure it out good luck.

Here is another bug which happened to me. It is a paste from GoG forums.

There is a pack of ogres in the in the northern Elmshore area.

Two of them are druids and they would cast plague of insects which would stay permanently on you and your party. And the worst part is that the effect seem to be stackable. My entire party had two debuffs at once.

And I thought, my party is to weak for these fights after the plague of insects stayed with them until they go down. Thx for pointing this out!

I really find it a shame that I can NOT edit my previous posts after a certain time period. I see some other interesting 'high priority' bugs on the forum and I want to bundle them together in this thread to make it easier for the community to keep track of the high level bugs that you 'need' to know about. Either to prevent them from happening in your game, or that you know certain things are broken and you are not left with a 'WTF' moment :)

Also thanks for the likes, I honestly did not expect to receive so many upvotes for this. I did post it because I thought everyone should be aware of these bugs. As I was unaware of them until I was browsing these forums while being bored at work. And have since been spreading the list creating awareness both here and on the steamcommunity discussion threads.

The CRPG (I don't really understand the 'C' part) community here is really nice. For me it is a very welcome change to the usual MMO kiddies I am used to dealing with on game forums. Here people actually are more mature and grown up.

@aeolisio

Very nice work, I wish I could add this information to the 'first post' but unfortunately I am unable to do so with the current forum rights.

Edited by zephiris
  • Like 1