Journalism and bias in the gaming industry

Blarghagh

to deny that there are objective measures in video games is dishonest and a pathetic excuse or justification for failing to do ones job.

Could you give an example of an objective standard by which we can measure video games?

You can examine the technical aspects of it, a good game shouldn't be a bug ridden mess even if the developers are 'visionary' but don't know how to design software or what QA stands for. I suppose other things like the capability of the engine used or even how the game runs under low-spec hardawre are some other ways.

For all the nonsense people talk about games as art, there's a lot of good old software engineering at play.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

• Like 1

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Because it accurately describes who we've been opposed to for (at least)the last 8 months?

I do admit, whenever I see another self-hating white male nerd I must laugh at the cuck. Anyone else pick up on how SJWs are composed of the groups they dislike the most?

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

Because it accurately describes who we've been opposed to for (at least)the last 8 months?

I do admit, whenever I see another self-hating white male nerd I must laugh at the cuck. Anyone else pick up on how SJWs are composed of the groups they dislike the most?

Yaaaay, I knew you guys would get this topic back to what you really enjoy discussing the most  " questioning  SJ causes and finding contradictions in the SJ narrative " 

And thats fine, personally I prefer it as well. So lets not pretend we want to really discuss '" bias in the gaming industry " ...that was been discussed to death 

@ KP 

No I have never noticed that and I have to say that makes no sense as it would be a counterproductive to have people we criticize in the movement. And consistency is important to get a message across and to get that message to resonate with people 

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

The patriarchy strikes again: http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2015/04/08/1418878112.abstract

No wonder gaming-journalism is in trouble, just look at the staff at Polygon!

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

The patriarchy strikes again: http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2015/04/08/1418878112.abstract

No wonder gaming-journalism is in trouble, just look at the staff at Polygon!

Patriarchy is convincing women to do all the work while we stay at home and drink. Well played patriarchy, well played.

• Like 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

I'm just so jaded and sick of all things SJW. Yesterday I watched a video by that Laci Green girl where some disabled woman was telling people that "disabled," "handicapped," and "crippled" are offensive terms and that the proper term is "people with disabilities."

I'm going to challenge that woman to a cripple fight, in which I am a blackbelt.

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

I'm just so jaded and sick of all things SJW. Yesterday I watched a video by that Laci Green girl where some disabled woman was telling people that "disabled," "handicapped," and "crippled" are offensive terms and that the proper term is "people with disabilities."

I'm going to challenge that woman to a cripple fight, in which I am a blackbelt.

Check your privilege, you white cis-het ableist scum!

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

I'm disabled. :U

OH WAIT IMSORRY, I'm a person with a disability. Almost offended myself there.

• Like 1

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

I know, thus the joke :)

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

You've internalized ableism.

Also, watching Laci Green? Why torture yourself man!

• Like 1

Oh dear, the amount of sass: http://www.breitbart.com/london/2015/04/14/im-sooo-bored-of-being-gay/

I’ll never forget the precise moment I chose to be gay. It was the endpoint in a process of rebellion against my white middle-class parents that climaxed with me smuggling a black drug dealer into my bedroom at 3 a.m. on a school night aged 15.

On a more serious note, Usher has a new article out: http://blogjob.com/oneangrygamer/2015/04/games-journalist-complains-about-gamergate-while-more-corruption-surfaces/

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

Like Milo could ever be a straight male.

BzjIpzKIEAAWIgD.jpg

http://www.theouthousers.com/index.php/news/131231-liefeld-campbell-chin-others-call-for-stand-against-artists-being-crucified-in-wake-of-frank-cho-spider-gwen-controversy.html?utm_content=buffer093af&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Another Comic Book controversy and comic artists are sick of it. It describes a lot of things we see.

I spoke up about the absolutely appalling behavior, and the senseless outrage, and got a bunch of crap for it, because apparently women who want women to speak out, only want them to do so if it's the same opinion they have about it.

- Joyce Chin, Marvel pencil artist and Asian-American woman.

http://www.theouthousers.com/index.php/news/131231-liefeld-campbell-chin-others-call-for-stand-against-artists-being-crucified-in-wake-of-frank-cho-spider-gwen-controversy.html?utm_content=buffer093af&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Another Comic Book controversy and comic artists are sick of it. It describes a lot of things we see.

I spoke up about the absolutely appalling behavior, and the senseless outrage, and got a bunch of crap for it, because apparently women who want women to speak out, only want them to do so if it's the same opinion they have about it.

- Joyce Chin, Marvel pencil artist and Asian-American woman.

Okay that does seem unreasonable...good example of unfair  SJ criticism 

How would you guys feel if all comic book characters just looked like stickmen...would you accept it  :teehee:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Stickmen are an unreasonable and unattainable representation of physical appearance and subliminally encourage anorexia and bulimia in their readers. They should also be referred to as 'linepeople' rather than stickmen, since 'stick' and 'men' are respectively a phallic codeword with intimations of the sexual act, and a sexist term that marginalises 51% of the population.

And, of course, while linepeople on the face of it have an excellent proportion of lines of colour and properly low representation of privileged white lines this is only because the background- usually the largest proportion of the comic- is disproportionately white.

• Like 2

"Creating safe space at Game Events", presented at GDC2015: https://imgur.com/gallery/RJYEj/

*sigh*

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

"Creating safe space at Game Events", presented at GDC2015: https://imgur.com/gallery/RJYEj/

*sigh*

I'm sure segregationists are kicking themselves over that they could've gotten their way if they sugar coated "separate but equal" with safe spaces.

Any news on the FBI investigation? Have they found the dank memes?

*sigh*

I'm sure segregationists are kicking themselves over that they could've gotten their way if they sugar coated "separate but equal" with safe spaces.

Any news on the FBI investigation? Have they found the dank memes?

*crickets* so far.

And in other news, Zoe Quinn has appeared in a congressional briefing on online harassment against women. It's only time before we will see the first bills on ending internet anonymity.

Edited by Meshugger

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

I just need to point out with a separate slide from the earlier link:

hsB0tV7.png

"Do you think that you can stop me?

You better think again

Because my name is eternal terror and my quest will NEVER end"

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy