Journalism and bias in the gaming industry

Blarghagh

Look at Amentep. I didn't think he could be so edgy that he enjoyed bashing two groups for the price of one! LMAO

When your opinion is born of ignorance ala  Martin (whose tv show I enjoy) you deserved to be called out. But, see, unlike some I';m still gonna enjoy the show b/c I don't believe in censorship just b/c some's opinon is different than me even though he now has joined the side who wants to murder me. So, now I know, Martin is pro cold blooded murder.

\P.S. The issue is hating on those with a different opinion. It's about trying to censor them. Nobody is trying to stop Maertin from speaking. At least I'm not.

Waaaaaaaa...." George RR Martin has betrayed me " waaaaaaaaaa   ( I have to be honest I am quite partial to  some Volorisms and waaaaaaaaa  being my favorite )  :biggrin:

Its okay Volo at least you won't  "  cut your nose off to spite your face " and now not watch the Game of Thrones. I am same as you in some respects and will play GTAV despite some of the criticism leveled against it 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

So what exactly did Martin do?

Here is a summary

http://www.themarysue.com/hugo-awards-george-rr-martin/

Its really just more GG  hyperbole about " SJW  destroying everything we use to hold dear..and unchangeable " 

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Here is a summary

Its really just more GG  hyperbole about " SJW  destroying everything we use to hold dear..and unchangeable " 

Apparently you missed my previous link about the subject. It really was an excellent article where he makes great points and i highly suggest that you read it :)

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Here is a summary

Apparently you missed my previous link about the subject. It really was an excellent article where he makes great points and i highly suggest that you read it :)

Sure, I will read it

I am not going to get into a debate about this now because I have been debating various issues this whole week and to be honest I am a little fatigued...but I will read it 

John Milton 

The Taiwanese indirectly explained the mindset behind most aGGros:

I LOVE these guys! They always have the most apt and appropriate criticisms of the world around them, and dozens of times I've seen such videos and thought "WTF just let Taiwan handle journalism from now on."

And today I've learned "Bubbles" in Taiwanese is "mo-ren-pao-pao."

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

Reading now. A white male libertarian feels discriminated against.

That's pretty funny.

He's hispanic not white.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

That's pretty funny.

He's hispanic not white.

He's Transcracker according to certain ideologies.

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Whatever, PoE has combat that gets repetitive as hell and isn't really affected by a poem being changed to tell certain folks off.

I think the expansion could help fix that by introducing enemies that fall into the dreaded, "hard counter" category.

I think it needs more than that honestly. I don't know exactly what to do, but when I'm using the same tactics every fight something is wrong IMO.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

That's pretty funny.

He's hispanic not white.

He's Transcracker according to certain ideologies.

Good to know they're using the proper pronouns this time.

He's hispanic not white.

An affluent white-passing hispanic right-wing libertarian male feels discriminated against on the basis of his political beliefs.Better?

Interesting you feel the need to whitewash non-whites when they disagree with you. If being discriminated against on the basis of politics is what is happening, then why is his ethnicity, sex, or orientation relevant?

Interesting you feel the need to whitewash non-whites when they disagree with you.

Har-dee-har, playing with fire man. I can out SJ speak you any day.

Observe: White privilege is not determined by how one identifies but by how they're identified. Privilege is based on social relations and those who are of or are perceived as part of the privileged group will have privilege over those who are not.

White-passing privilege is REAL

Sincerely, a poc.

Edited by Barothmuk
  • Like 1

That's pretty funny.

He's hispanic not white.

Hispanic is not a race.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Interesting you feel the need to whitewash non-whites when they disagree with you.

Har-dee-har, playing with fire man. I can out SJ speak you any day.Observe: White privilege is not determined by how one identifies but by how they're identified. Privilege is based on social relations and those who are of or are perceived as part of the privileged group will have privilege over those who are not.White-passing privilege is REALWhite-passing privilege is REALWhite-passing privilege is REALSincerely, a poc.
Have you ever been to the Southwest US?

Because in that area Larry Correria:

larry.jpg

Would be identified as hispanic(or mestizo if you want to be correct) to anyone who has encountered those of mestizo descent on a regular basis.

But this has little to do with being discriminated against on the basis of his political views in a SciFi/Fantasy awards event. Would said alleged discrimination be more believable if it was a female, African, or homosexual individual alleging discrimination for holding similar beliefs?

That's pretty funny.

He's hispanic not white.

Hispanic is not a race.

Mestizo is, and I figured it would be easier to use the more familiar "hispanic" to describe Correia as most people will use those words interchangeably.

Here is a summary

You could not have found a less even handed source if you tried.

Why do you say that? I dont much about the website it just was the first thing Yahoo search found but that webpage does contain links from George R R Martin himself so I assume you aren't questioning that?

John Milton 

That's pretty funny.

He's hispanic not white.

Hispanic is not a race.

Hispanic refers to a racial grouping that covers many different counties.  Seems a little nitpicky to get on about it.  

I like how we discuss his exterior features and potential social standing that attributes to it instead of what he has to say.

He looks like typical spanish guy. Out of context, i would guess that he was galician fisherman.

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

Nope. What I saw (in my quick skim) was a man who is paler than me and has a whiter name than me and because of this I haphazardly assumed him to be white. Although I was facetious in my post, he does indeed have “white-passing privilege” however knowing America and his background, who knows, he probably has been subject to race based discrimination.

But this has little to do with being discriminated against on the basis of his political views in a SciFi/Fantasy awards event.

Indeed.

Would said alleged discrimination be more believable if it was a female, African, or homosexual individual alleging discrimination for holding similar beliefs?

No, libertarians aren't a materially oppressed group.

That's pretty funny.

He's hispanic not white.

Hispanic is not a race.

Hispanic refers to a racial grouping that covers many different counties.  Seems a little nitpicky to get on about it.  

Saying hispanics are not white is like saying that slavics are not white. If you're going to be that specific about it then you shouldn't use white but anglo saxon or germanic or aryan or whatever denomination they consider to be "white". 

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

village_idiot.gif

Nope. What I saw (in my quick skim) was a man who is paler than me and has a whiter name than me and because of this I haphazardly assumed him to be white. Although I was facetious in my post, he does indeed have “white-passing privilege” however knowing America and his background, who knows, he probably has been subject to race based discrimination.

Ah, but privilege is based on social relations. A Latino in the SW US will not be considered White by people in his area and therefore in his social interactions will not possess the privilege of being considered White. Therefore I must conclude that any "white-passing privilege" Mr. Correria would have in Australia(where you reside, IIRC) will not be applicable to him where he resides and is void when considering his current situation.

No, libertarians aren't a materially oppressed group.

But we aren't talking about being discriminated against by society, we are talking about being discriminated against in a SciFi/Fantasy award contest. With this in mind, how does Mr. Correria's politics invalidate his claims? Would claims by an Anarchist(not an-crap neo-fedualist) or Communist be similarly invalidated for not conforming to a specific neo-liberal ideology?

That's pretty funny.

He's hispanic not white.

Hispanic is not a race.

Saying hispanics are not white is like saying that slavics are not white. If you're going to be that specific about it then you shouldn't use white but anglo saxon or germanic or aryan or whatever denomination they consider to be "white". 

I'm not going to profess to know how it works in Europe with all the different ethnic groups, but that isn't how it works in the US.  Being Hispanic or Latino makes you part of a minority group, and you are not identified as part of the white majority.  It is a general term that covers a bunch of Latin American countries.  

If you want be specific (and really, you are the one who got up in arms about it) then you would say Mexican American (or wherever his family is from.)

That's pretty funny.

He's hispanic not white.

Hispanic is not a race.

I'm not going to profess to know how it works in Europe with all the different ethnic groups, but that isn't how it works in the US.  Being Hispanic or Latino makes you part of a minority group, and you are not identified as part of the white majority.  It is a general term that covers a bunch of Latin American countries.  

If you want be specific (and really, you are the one who got up in arms about it) then you would say Mexican American (or wherever his family is from.)

In the US it is necessary to have Hispanic as a group because both census and issues that only affect them, I'm not arguing against use of Hispanic as a term just the notion that its a race of brown people. I also find the whole "Noun-American" thing to be ridiculous, mostly because people actually identify with it.

I don't see the value of equating race with politics, as if you're white it means that you're more likely to be republican than if you're black. 

village_idiot.gif

It all started with ethics in game journalism, now i have see myself staring at the statue of Jefferson and thinking aloud: "I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.

https://archive.today/pyCMp

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy