Journalism and bias in the gaming industry

Blarghagh

The US census is actually pretty odd, there is a a box for Hispanic/Latino and there is a box for White Hispanic.

Do you get a such a thing in the USA as an Asian Hispanic ?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

The US census is actually pretty odd, there is a a box for Hispanic/Latino and there is a box for White Hispanic.

I think they should just let you choose all that apply since Brazilians are Latinos but they aren't technically Hispanic. (I sound like a SJW)

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Why do you say that? I dont much about the website it just was the first thing Yahoo search found but that webpage does contain links from George R R Martin himself so I assume you aren't questioning that?

No, I am talking about "themarysue" the website.

I think they should just let you choose all that apply since Brazilians are Latinos but they aren't technically Hispanic. (I sound like a SJW)

Come home my son, your  SJW family welcomes you back  :biggrin:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Journalism should only be named that way when it provides both side of a story on a neutral manner laying out the facts and thus informing the people. You don´t find much of that in traditional media though.

Of course, there is no such thing like real objectivity. There will always be a little bit of bias in one way or another because a human being wrote it, and no matter how objective you try to be there will always be an influence from your personality. Which can be a good thing.

If we rule out biased coverage of media we can still find a lot of mostly objective reviews/first looks etc for games thanks to the internet/youtube. There is something for everyone which is a good thing.

"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, the man who never reads lives one."

Journalism should only be named that way when it provides both side of a story on a neutral manner laying out the facts and thus informing the people. You don´t find much of that in traditional media though.

Of course, there is no such thing like real objectivity. There will always be a little bit of bias in one way or another because a human being wrote it, and no matter how objective you try to be there will always be an influence from your personality. Which can be a good thing.

If we rule out biased coverage of media we can still find a lot of mostly objective reviews/first looks etc for games thanks to the internet/youtube. There is something for everyone which is a good thing.

My friend I'm sure everyone appreciates your insight but haven't you realized this thread isn't really about journalism ( well maybe it once use to be )...its the eternal  battleground on these forums where we debate issues of SJ ...and we love it despite the heated exchanges  :dancing:

John Milton 

My friend I'm sure everyone appreciates your insight but haven't you realized this thread isn't really about journalism ( well maybe it once use to be )...its the eternal  battleground on these forums where we debate issues of SJ ...and we love it despite the heated exchanges  :dancing:

I stick with the topic, feel free to do otherwise. ;)

"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, the man who never reads lives one."

Okay...." lets discuss  the state of  Journalism "   :p

John Milton 

Other than PuppyGate there isn' anything else going on, but if these trends are an indication we might be seeing more Gates in the future.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Other than PuppyGate there isn' anything else going on, but if these trends are an indication we might be seeing more Gates in the future.

More Gates !!!! Oh no Orog.,....do you really think our fragile and sensitive states can handle more gates ....aren't two enough....plzzzzz...it must enough  :ermm:  

John Milton 

Heh, welcome to the WOT section.  We don't limit ourselves to bourgeoisie concepts like thread titles.  Down with conventions! 

• Like 1

Heh, welcome to the WOT section.  We don't limit ourselves to bourgeoisie concepts like thread titles.  Down with conventions! 

" bourgeoisie concepts like thread titles  " 

:lol: 

John Milton 

I see that :p I chose(!) to stick to it damn it :D

SJW talk is a waste of time, allready made my point about that :p

I see that :p I chose(!) to stick to it damn it :D

SJW talk is a waste of time, allready made my point about that :p

Nah, its only a waste of time if you don't care about it  :biggrin:

John Milton 

Oh.

1428793844069.png

Edited by Meshugger

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

https://i.imgur.com/rgowOqL.jpg

Apparently another journo fails to disclose relationship with a subject as recently as December 2014.

EDIT: Image has some profanity, changed to link.

Edited by KaineParker

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Apparently another journo fails to disclose relationship with a subject as recently as December 2014.

*looks up who this Anna Antrophy is*

giphy.gif

• Like 1

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

*looks up who this Anna Antrophy is*

giphy.gif

You+are+not+alone+_088679e528878caeb5f6d

• Like 3

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

So now I had to google the name as well. Is this another transgender person? Makes me wonder why there seem to be so many in this event thingy that is going on. Is it just because they are making so much noise or what? Or is it true what some girl on Reddit a while ago wrote "it's mostly men who want to be women complaining about men"?

Pls someone enlighten me.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

So now I had to google the name as well. Is this another transgender person? Makes me wonder why there seem to be so many in this event thingy that is going on. Is it just because they are making so much noise or what? Or is it true what some girl on Reddit a while ago wrote "it's mostly men who want to be women complaining about men"?

When I first googled the name, I thought it was Jim Sterling in drag and I was looking at an elaborate joke.

As to the prevalence of MtF trans, I have no idea.

Sorry, i do not know either. But i would speculate trangenders (why is 'tranny' a slur? it's just a shorter and easier word?!) automatically congregate since this is mostly about identity and gender politics.

Somebody should do a study on this phenomenon

• Like 1

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

(why is 'tranny' a slur? it's just a shorter and easier word?!)

It used to be perfectly acceptable, even a preferred term of reference, but it's gone through a couple of rounds on the euphemism treadmill, basically. Here's an old piece by Steven Pinker explaining the concept of the euphemism treadmill.

"People invent new "polite" words to refer to emotionally laden or distasteful things, but the euphemism becomes tainted by association and the new one that must be found acquires its own negative connotations. … The euphemism treadmill shows that concepts, not words, are in charge. Give a concept a new name, and the name becomes colored by the concept; the concept does not become freshened by the name. (We will know we have achieved equality and mutual respect when names for minorities stay put.)"

• Like 1

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." -Marcus Aurelius