Quick saving and loading times increased greatly after 20~ hours

Gringos

Question

Hi everyone!

After 20~ hours in Pillars, the game began to slow down considerably in loading times.

I'm 30 hours in right now and the issue persists after computer restart.

I like to save often. When I saved in early hours of the game it took about a second - now it's up to 6 seconds per save.

Loading screens take about 10 seconds+ now. Going through 4 loading screens of purely waiting to advance a quest became the most annoying thing.

Does anyone have a clue how I can get the load times back down again?

My specs:

Windows 7

Intel Core i7-4770K CPU @ 3.50GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX960

16GB RAM

Edit: Here's my latest quicksave

Since the upload cap is 1mb here, had to host somewhere else

Edited by Gringos
  • Like 2

And how can we do this? ;)

I kinda doubt those of us who aren't programmers can.  Sounds like he cracked open the game's code to do that.

Of course, like I said a couple pages ago, sure would be nice if a code-savvy person could create a mod to disable autosaves and share it with the rest of us...

And how can we do this? wink.png

I kinda doubt those of us who aren't programmers can.  Sounds like he cracked open the game's code to do that.

Of course, like I said a couple pages ago, sure would be nice if a code-savvy person could create a mod to disable autosaves and share it with the rest of us...

I haven't actually tested it, but it looks like IE Mod adds an option for that.

Scratch that. Sorry. It just moves when the autosave happens. That said, it means it should easily be possible to remove the autosave completely for modders.

Edited by azgult

Could we get more information on loadtimes vs. mobileobjects.save, and someone who has small mobileobjects.save to test with a file that has too large mobileobjects.save on other people? Just test and post results.

I'd also like to see someone upload a fast loading far in the game save, so the ones of us with slow loadtimes could try if loading a normally fast loading save affects us in some way.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5zAvgW4BGD6a29BY2IxOHhnTFU/view?usp=sharing That's my end-ish of act 1 save, where quicksave takes about 23 seconds and area transistion about 65 seconds for me. On my comp the mobileobjects.save related to that file is about 125mb, if someone could load that save and check how big the mobileobjects.save is for them?

Vegetable if we load your save and save again, it just further bloats and we will all have this load time with your save ;)

But if you are bored and want to test my save that for me has around 23 seconds area change time in act 3 you are welcome

http://www.mediafire.com/download/769xor490rtou8o/e6f43dbc06824c1c981e0bc38ad015b9_14680329_Northweald.zip

My MobileObjects.Save inside that savegame is a mere 7mb so transition times remain SANE (but for me way out of what I consider acceptable)

I want to note that I have a lot of open quests though and didn't explore everything 100% because of these load times ;)

Ps.: And of course I would welcome a "no autosave on map transition" as well as a "autosave on REST" option...

Edited by eRe4s3r

Zipped and uploaded to nexusmods with instructions. Had to finish the game first :)

http://www.nexusmods.com/pillarsofeternity/mods/14/?

This isn't compatible with IE Mod, since it includes a modified version of the same game file. It'd be pretty easy for its author to add this in there though.

• Like 3

Vegetable if we load your save and save again, it just further bloats and we will all have this load time with your save ;)

But if you are bored and want to test my save that for me has around 23 seconds area change time in act 3 you are welcome

http://www.mediafire.com/download/769xor490rtou8o/e6f43dbc06824c1c981e0bc38ad015b9_14680329_Northweald.zip

My MobileObjects.Save inside that savegame is a mere 7mb so transition times remain SANE (but for me way out of what I consider acceptable)

I want to note that I have a lot of open quests though and didn't explore everything 100% because of these load times ;)

Ps.: And of course I would welcome a "no autosave on map transition" as well as a "autosave on REST" option...

EDIT: man, i fubared typing.

So i tested with your save, and quicksaving took about 5 seconds. Not a big deal. On my own save it takes 23 seconds. Only direct difference i could see was the mobileobjects.save size, so i think that is exactly the problem.

Also when saving, looking at explorer in the other display, i can see the backupping and rewriting of mobileobjects, and as soon as it's done, the game continues.

Which also reminds me: If you have fast save, can you write here if you play windowed or maximized and if you have one or more displays. Same for slow saves too, really.

I have two displays, running windowed 1920x1080. and am slow as hell.

Edited by vegetable
  • Like 1

do you have many items? did you update your keep often? did you craft anything out of your crafting material?

I just want to make sure what you did differently. maybe I should check out your save, too ;)

edit: okay just checked. I cannot see much of a difference. you have a ton of items, many buildings, hired companions, same as me. But my mobileobjects is way larger :(

Edited by Druckerpatrone

Zipped and uploaded to nexusmods with instructions. Had to finish the game first :)

http://www.nexusmods.com/pillarsofeternity/mods/14/?

This isn't compatible with IE Mod, since it includes a modified version of the same game file. It'd be pretty easy for its author to add this in there though.

YOU ARE A GOD AMONG MORTALS.  ALL HAIL THE NEW AVATAR OF EOTHAS, AWAKENED GOD OF REDEMPTION AND DESPERATELY NEEDED MODS!

Ahem.

Little happy that you did this, y'see.

• Like 2

Sorry for my bad english but i have the same issues ! Area change take more than one minute now and i start going crazy ! Can anyone report this ******* bug to the staff of PoE so they fix that in the last patch ?? I'm very hopeless a this moment. Thank you.

Just finished the game, absolutely loved it and want to replay BUT the save and load times from half way through the game to the end were really damn long. Sometimes like 90 seconds. On a Samsung SSD 840 EVO. This should not be happening! 

Please investigate a fix to this asap.

do you have many items? did you update your keep often? did you craft anything out of your crafting material?

I just want to make sure what you did differently. maybe I should check out your save, too ;)

edit: okay just checked. I cannot see much of a difference. you have a ton of items, many buildings, hired companions, same as me. But my mobileobjects is way larger :(

I regularly sold my ENTIRE stash of weapons and armor and "hoods and stuff" but aside that, as you say and saw, I wasn't exactly keeping my myself restricted ;) Stronghold is nearly fully upgraded, 7 levels and a half of 8th of the mega dungeon are completely cleansed, and I honestly think I explored every major area pre Hearthsong 100% and picked everything, literally every, single, loot drop ever dropped, up. With the exception of maybe 2 or 3 things.

I crafted maybe 8 things at most in the entire playthrough so far, enchanted tons of things though, and I am broke after spending nearly all my money on rare enchantment materials ;P

Using no auto-save mods my load times are now... 8 to 12 seconds.. lmao.. My god.. you are a hero whoever made that. A HERO !! game is playable again!

But quicksaving is of course still a major chore

Edited by eRe4s3r

Sadly, I'm still dealing with ~30 second load times... but that's literally HALF of what it was before, so I'm not complaining too loudly.  Not sure why my load times are still so high, though I suspect that the game still has to READ the MobileObjects file when I move from map to map, even if it doesn't have to make a brand new copy anymore.

Yeah that doesn't explain what bloats the save and increases these load times so massively. Maybe.. and this is a big maybe, it is related to you LOADING autosaves or certain quicksaves made in certain situations? I think in my entire game so far I loaded exactly... zero autosaves. Only normal saves (quick and proper manual saves)

Also while I welcome that I can disable auto-saves with only 1 quicksave slot this is now very dangerous indeed....

I'm also getting 30+ second area transitions and so have stopped playing until the fix. 

If any of the devs are monitoring this thread, it would be nice to get an update on whether the fix for this will make it into the next patch (whenever you know).

The no autosave fixes just a part of the problem at least for me.

The black screen before the loading screen is still appearing longer and longer. Also the loading screen itself is still at about 30 seconds whereas when i started the game, a loading screen took just 5 seconds.

The issue seems to be that the longer you play the game, the longer both loading AND saving is.  So, if you cut out the autosave, you save time because you won't be loading and saving every time you zone.  Even still, the game is unplayable for me.  With all the constant zoning, I am looking at loading screens more than I'm looking at the actual game.

Edited by Baleros

3 secs to quick load when the game started. When I reached Gilded vale, it takes 30 secs- I tried to go to cadnua, but the loading times are horrible... Spend more time loading than playing, unless i want to start a new game (again!) ...

So, the massive silence is a sign that Obs is working really really fast on solving this (unity?) issue ???? I sure hope so ... :)

UFWDJRj.jpg

Should maybe later take a peek at what is inside the mobile objects file, as it compresses with such good ratio. Either stuff is repeated many many times inside or there are long strings of same bytes.

A quick and dirty fix would be to change the compression settings on the savegame zips to "store" where there aren't any compression, so then the cpu bottleneck vanishes, but your savefiles will be 50+Mb

Edit: Quick look into the mobileobjects.save shows that most of the file is repeated object headers with keys stored as text and taking up most of the space it needs. The file also seems to store the locations and status of each and every npc encountered, which explains the rapid growth when entering defiance bay with so many npcs around. Oh, and every trap, like the traps created by the Chanter abilities! So that might be the real culprit:

Edit2: Yeah, there are 3k Rime and Frost traps on my mobileobjects. It appears the the firetraps don't get saved, so its a bug with Rime and Frost. Next someone just needs to write a script to strip the rime and frost traps from the save...

Root
ObjectName    LevelNamePrefabResourceMobileGlobalGUIDObjectIDLocationxyzRotationPackedLoadManuallyParentComponentPackets 
TypeString    Variables    ScriptTagRestoredTeamTagHostileTeamsCapacityNeutralTeams
FriendlyTeamsname    hideFlagsm_scriptTagDefaultRelationshipGameFactionInjuredReputationChangeMurderedReputationChangeParamPrereqSerializedSourceSourceSerializedm_id
m_stackingKeym_slot    m_applied
m_durationm_durationOverridem_needsDurationCalculatedm_timeActivem_intervalTimerm_intervalCountTargetSerializedm_deleteOnClearm_effect_is_on_main_targetm_generalCounterBundleIdm_scalem_durationScalem_religiousScalem_suspensionCountm_suppressed
m_timeAppliedm_numRestCyclesExtraObjectSerializedAbilityTypeAbilityOriginSerializedEquipmentOriginEquipmentOriginSerializedPhraseOriginPhraseOriginSerializedAfflictionOriginAfflictionOriginSerializedAfflictionKeywordm_damageToReapplym_damageToAbsorbm_triggerCountDurationAfterBreakTicksAfterBreakIncreasePerTickFriendlyRadius
IsFromAuram_forceStackableOwnerSerializedAppliedSlotParamsOnDamagedCallbackAbilityTrapPrefabSerializedTrapSerialized2EquippablePrefabSerializedEquippableSerialized2AttackPrefabSerializedAttackPrefabSerialized2AfflictionPrefabSerialized!OnDamageCallbackAbilitySerializedDescriptionIsCleanedUpMergedValue    IsHostileApplyAffectsStatDmgTypeValue
ExtraValueDurationLastsUntilCombatEndsLastsUntilRest
MaxRestCyclesIntervalRate    OneHitUseChecksReligionVisualEffectAttachRaceTypeKeywordDontHideFromLogIgnoreAbilityDeactivationScaleAppliedFXNames
DeleteOnClearEffectIDTriggerTypeTriggerValueTriggerValueAdjustmentTriggerDurationAdjustmentTriggerRadiusAdjustmentTriggerMaxTriggerCountTriggerRemoveEffectAtMax TriggerResetTriggerOnEffectPulseTriggerResetTriggerOnEffectEndm_is_checking_melee_path _ObjectPersistencePacket, Assembly-CSharp, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null bComponentPersistencePacket, Assembly-CSharp, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=nullZSystem.String, mscorlib, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089ZSystem.Object, mscorlib, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089LTeam, Assembly-CSharp, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null[System.Boolean, mscorlib, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089YSystem.Int32, mscorlib, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089ZSystem.Single, mscorlib, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089XSystem.Guid, mscorlib, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089]System.Boolean[], mscorlib, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089ÊSystem.Collections.Generic.List`1[[System.Guid, mscorlib, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089]], mscorlib, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089NGender, Assembly-CSharp, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null[CharacterStats+Race, Assembly-CSharp, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null^CharacterStats+Subrace, Assembly-CSharp, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null^CharacterStats+Culture, Assembly-CSharp, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null\CharacterStats+Class, Assembly-CSharp, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=nullVReligion+Deity, Assembly-CSharp, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null]Religion+PaladinOrder, Assembly-CSharp, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=nullaCharacterStats+Background, Assembly-CSharp, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=nullÄSystem.Collections.Generic.List`1[[Affliction, Assembly-CSharp, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null]], mscorlib, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089RAffliction, Assembly-CSharp, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=nullÇSystem.Collections.Generic.List`1[[GenericTalent, Assembly-CSharp, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null]], mscorlib, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089UGenericTalent, Assembly-CSharp, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null\System.Single[], mscorlib, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089ZSystem.UInt32, mscorlib, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089eCharacterStats+NoiseLevelType, Assembly-CSharp, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null[System.Int32[], mscorlib, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089ÆSystem.Collections.Generic.List`1[[StatusEffect, Assembly-CSharp, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null]], mscorlib, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089TStatusEffect, Assembly-CSharp, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=nullXPrerequisiteData, Assembly-CSharp, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=nullÌSystem.Collections.Generic.List`1[[System.String, mscorlib, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089]], mscorlib, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089  
Rime_and_Frost_Trap(Clone)
$ strings MobileObjects.save | grep Rime_and | wc -l
$ strings MobileObjects.save | grep Root | wc -l

That is 97% of all stored objects being rime and frost traps!

Edited by Depili
  • Like 7