Quick saving and loading times increased greatly after 20~ hours

Gringos

Question

Hi everyone!

After 20~ hours in Pillars, the game began to slow down considerably in loading times.

I'm 30 hours in right now and the issue persists after computer restart.

I like to save often. When I saved in early hours of the game it took about a second - now it's up to 6 seconds per save.

Loading screens take about 10 seconds+ now. Going through 4 loading screens of purely waiting to advance a quest became the most annoying thing.

Does anyone have a clue how I can get the load times back down again?

My specs:

Windows 7

Intel Core i7-4770K CPU @ 3.50GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX960

16GB RAM

Edit: Here's my latest quicksave

Since the upload cap is 1mb here, had to host somewhere else

Edited by Gringos
  • Like 2

That is 97% of all stored objects being rime and frost traps!

Wow.  Wow, Obsidian.  Guys, I love you, I sincerely do.  You write the best RPGs in the business, hands down.   I am always ready and willing to defend KOTOR 2, I loved Alpha Protocol despite anything but the pistol being useless, and I genuinely want to punch people whenever they say Fallout 3 was better than New Vegas... but god damn, guys, how did you miss that?!

I'm also a little heartbroken that my favorite NPC is apparently the cause of my problems.  I forgive you, Kana.  I forgive you.

Edited by Kavonde

Same issue here. I'm just relieved that it wasn't (entirely) the fault of my rather weak setup and I'm looking forward to the fix. Won't stop me from playing though :p gotta use those transition times and slow saves for working on my game knowledge and theory crafting.

That is 97% of all stored objects being rime and frost traps!

Wow.  Wow, Obsidian.  Guys, I love you, I sincerely do.  You write the best RPGs in the business, hands down.   I am always ready and willing to defend KOTOR 2, I loved Alpha Protocol despite anything but the pistol being useless, and I genuinely want to punch people whenever they say Fallout 3 was better than New Vegas... but god damn, guys, how did you miss that?!

I'm also a little heartbroken that my favorite NPC is apparently the cause of my problems.  I forgive you, Kana.  I forgive you.

you should also ask those people that took part in the betas what the hell they were doing?

how the hell did so many bigs get through when those people are supposed to be helping test the game?

Edited by Valtonis

you should also ask those people that took part in the betas what the hell they were doing?

how the hell did so many bigs get through when those people are supposed to be helping test the game?

Ok, since you asked:

The backer beta was only the three Dyrford Village quests  and some exploration on the Stormwall Gorge map so this bug wouldn't have triggered even if someone had played the beta as a chanter and taken the "Rime and Frost Followed the Footfalls of Karth" chant at the beginning of the beta and used it in every fight.  

If you want to see the bugs that people did find (a.k.a. 'what the hell they were doing'), have a look in the Backer Beta sub forum where the bugs were reported. 

• Like 1

Hi, let me start by saying that I LOVE this game. Even though I didn't back it on kickstarter (what I'm now ashamed of, but after a few bad experiences I'm a bit reluctant to do so) it really lived up to my expectations. 

Anyway I'm 30+ hours into the game now, really digging it and stuff but I just can't "play" like that anymore. It takes more than 20s to quicksave (and I quicksave a lot) and I'm not even talking about the loading part, it's just too much annoying to stay calm & keep playing. So until an official fix comes up I'll just put this game (that I've waited for more than a year) aside...

By the way a great thanks to the few people who went looking into the files to see what was wrong with the game so quickly (arx, depili, sorry if I forgot names).

Anyway, I'm sure the devs will deliver a hotfix asap because that "bug" is really gamebreaking.

Hi there, 

Same problem here. Transition time between areas seems to get stabilised (around 10-14 seconds), but it takes about 3-4 minutes for the "Continue" and "Load Game" menu to appear in the main game menu... That's kind of scary !!

Except from that the game runs very smoothly,  I did not encounter any performance issue so far, neither did I experience any bug yet.

I'm playing on a Mac so this is not a PC/Windows related problem. Any other mac users have the same problem ? (I mean except the problem of having a mac itself ^^)

That chanter trap catch is excellent, in my main save i am using lots of kiting with the frost trap chanter thingie, which explains why it grows, and why number of people affects it so linearly - more people = more traps.

it doesn't explain though, why it happens on my save with 1 person and 0 chanters, though in a much less pronounced way. Maybe there are just so many NPCs and thingamadoodles around, that it just takes a bit longer anyway.

That chanter trap catch is excellent, in my main save i am using lots of kiting with the frost trap chanter thingie, which explains why it grows, and why number of people affects it so linearly - more people = more traps.

it doesn't explain though, why it happens on my save with 1 person and 0 chanters, though in a much less pronounced way. Maybe there are just so many NPCs and thingamadoodles around, that it just takes a bit longer anyway.

I originally counted each trap twice by mistake, see http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/73986-chanter-rime-and-frost-traps-get-saved-causing-mobileobjectssave-to-grow-out-of-control/ for more details. The more detailed analysis has revealed that there are about 1600 frost traps in the save, and another group of about 1700 of very similar objects.

I just want to add that there is a problem which is not that chanter traps are in the mobileobjects. It is for sure not good but the saveing time problem happens without changter traps.

I played the game without a chanter. My quick save and quick loading time is at almost 10sec. the mobileobject.save is agourd 6-7mb.

I'm having a similar issue. It just started today, yesterday I was able to play with absolutely no problems whatsoever. My mobilobjects.save is at about 2mb and my save files are at about 2mb each as well. Load times are about 30-45 seconds.

Also, I have very low framerates when I finally get into the game, about 20-25 max fps. Again, I was playing just fine yesterday with no framerate issues.

Setup:

i5-4690k

16gb ram

GTX 980

3440x1440 resolution (Tried bumping it down to 1920x1080, but same issues)

Installed on SSD

I just want to add that there is a problem which is not that chanter traps are in the mobileobjects. It is for sure not good but the saveing time problem happens without changter traps.

I played the game without a chanter. My quick save and quick loading time is at almost 10sec. the mobileobject.save is agourd 6-7mb.

Hey I totally agree, if the problem is linked in anyway with using a chanter in the party, it has to be linked with something else too. I also do not use any chanter in my team and still the loading time increases.

The mystery of long saving times has been now solved at least in my case: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/73986-chanter-rime-and-frost-traps-get-saved-causing-mobileobjectssave-to-grow-out-of-control/ and the devs are aware of it. That thread includes a trap-scrubbing script, but it requires a unix system and some knowledge to use. And no, I'm not making a windows utility, but there are now enough info for that if someone is interested.

The mystery of long saving times has been now solved at least in my case: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/73986-chanter-rime-and-frost-traps-get-saved-causing-mobileobjectssave-to-grow-out-of-control/ and the devs are aware of it. That thread includes a trap-scrubbing script, but it requires a unix system and some knowledge to use. And no, I'm not making a windows utility, but there are now enough info for that if someone is interested.

Thank you so much for that!

Hopefully they fix this soon, I don't have the technical know how to do anything about this on my own.