What are you playing now?

So, I wandered into the ruined temple in Gilded Vale by myself and decided to give it a go.  I managed to get around a little bit of it by being sneaky and skillfully pulling enemies with a crossbow bolt then retreating and going melee, but then I got horribly murdered.  Repeatedly horribly murdered.  Turns out, there are packs of beasties in there that it's not advisable to tackle alone.  I do love that though.  If I do something stupid, like wander into an old abandoned temple all by my lonesome, I should get punished for it, and punished for it I got, by being repeatedly horribly murdered.  Don't have enemies level scale with me, allow me to make my own mistakes and punish me for them severely.  I do have a companion now (and another level under my belt), so maybe I can try that temple, but I'm going to head back to Valewood first and pay a visit to those bears.  Good times.

• Like 2

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Maybe I'll see if PoE runs tonight on the laptop I have access too.

Otherwise it's more Borderlands 2! After Chapter 10 there's kind of a flood of sidequests, ones I'm overleveled for by 3.

Considering that it runs on my notebook, albeit badly, you should be able to play. With some patience.

Your notebook is probably more powerful than the laptop I have access to. The PoE beta was completely unplayable.

I also can't play Dreamfall Chapters or the new Broken Sword. I couldn't play Broken Age until after an update. Though Shadowrun and Banner Saga run well enough.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

So, I wandered into the ruined temple in Gilded Vale by myself and decided to give it a go.  I managed to get around a little bit of it by being sneaky and skillfully pulling enemies with a crossbow bolt then retreating and going melee, but then I got horribly murdered.  Repeatedly horribly murdered.  Turns out, there are packs of beasties in there that it's not advisable to tackle alone.  I do love that though.  If I do something stupid, like wander into an old abandoned temple all by my lonesome, I should get punished for it, and punished for it I got, by being repeatedly horribly murdered.  Don't have enemies level scale with me, allow me to make my own mistakes and punish me for them severely.

Yeah, I did that temple solo on hard mode: it's really stupid to do without picking up the two party members in Gilded Vale. Very frustrating and time-consuming. Now that I'm out in the wilderness with an actual party, I'm having a grand time.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

I was playing PoE but then I decided to redo my character and start from the beginning and then realize that the appearance I chose and the portrait don't match. Now I'm in Photoshop doing a custom portrait of my next character who looks a lot like Ragnar the Red, except that he's an elf...a Pale elf.

• Like 2
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Bloodborne. For 2 days straight or at least it feels like that. ... I want to try PoE but BB's grip on me is too strong for now. :S

I put in about an hour and am a little worried to go back right while starting to play PoE since I know BB will be just as addictive.

Maybe I'll see if PoE runs tonight on the laptop I have access too.

Otherwise it's more Borderlands 2! After Chapter 10 there's kind of a flood of sidequests, ones I'm overleveled for by 3.

Considering that it runs on my notebook, albeit badly, you should be able to play. With some patience.

Your notebook is probably more powerful than the laptop I have access to. The PoE beta was completely unplayable.

I also can't play Dreamfall Chapters or the new Broken Sword. I couldn't play Broken Age until after an update. Though Shadowrun and Banner Saga run well enough.

Shadowrun I can only play in 30 minute sessions or so. Then it starts to crawl.

Lenovo ideapad Flex 10. Feel free to compare :)

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

From some other posts I've seen, seems those certain npc's are the backer npc's. Interesting. I guess none of them really shook me out of immersion (yet) so they (sort of) fit in to me. Although I did notice one of them had a rather plain, single first name. Kinda cool tho.

I'll probably be amused by the tombstones, when I get around to them. I know some don't like them (understandably) but ... I shall probably giggle.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

From some other posts I've seen, seems those certain npc's are the backer npc's. Interesting. I guess none of them really shook me out of immersion (yet) so they (sort of) fit in to me. Although I did notice one of them had a rather plain, single first name. Kinda cool tho.

I'll probably be amused by the tombstones, when I get around to them. I know some don't like them (understandably) but ... I shall probably giggle.

Here's an interesting mental quirk, I really enjoyed reading the NPC's souls but after I found out they were backer contributions I started noticing lots of spelling/grammar issues and lesbian erotica...yep  :dancing:

*edit*

Oh yeah, played PoE for far too long again, almost ready to visit my first city.

Edited by WDeranged

oHH  good. I had been clicking them all afriad that I would miss out on a quest or something.

Don't stop, you'll be missing out on lesbian erotica and that's even worse.

• Like 6

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

Oh good, I thought Obsidian wrote those and gave them to an intern or something, was mildly disappointed.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Pillars of Eternity PSA: Don't equip items by double-clicking on them, otherwise you lose all non-equipment active effects...permanently, including racial and class ones. All I've been doing this entire time has been double-clicking. :( Gonna wait a few days until some of the worst bugs are cleaned up to keep playing...

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Pillars of Eternity PSA: Don't equip items by double-clicking on them, otherwise you lose all non-equipment active effects...permanently, including racial and class ones. All I've been doing this entire time has been double-clicking. :( Gonna wait a few days until some of the worst bugs are cleaned up to keep playing...

Happened to me too mate. Think I'm gonna shelf PoE until the worst bugs get ironed out, perhaps a week or so.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

Bugs aside this is the best game I've played in years. The level of detail is amazing.

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Am I the only one who is getting a kind of Arcanum vibe from Pillars of Eternity? It almost feels like a pre-Arcanum to me, the world turning into a more steampunk-esque setting within the next 100 or so years.

Or maybe it's just the music.

Damn, I want to replay Arcanum.

• Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Finished InFamous Second Son.  Surprisingly fun game.  And while the story was straightforward and you knew where it was going, it was actually pretty good.  Side missions were fun, especially the ones where you have to liberate an area by destroying the mobile DUP unit in that area.

I bought it for $19.99, and combined with First Light which I got for free from PSN, that's one of the better $20 I've spent on games recently.  More fun than I've had with a lot of the games I paid full price for.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

It turns out that Hard Difficulty in Pillars of Eternity is actually hard.  My party's been savagely obliterated a fair number of times already.  :yes:

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

More hours of PoE, reached Defiance and am helping small children loose their fingers...I should probably have a break tomorrow and play some Stick of Truth.

It turns out that Hard Difficulty in Pillars of Eternity is actually hard.  My party's been savagely obliterated a fair number of times already.  :yes:

Normal is going ok for me at the moment, I just about scrape through most situations but I really don't know jack about combat system, just learning as I go.

Edited by WDeranged

Decided my 1st chr. was going to suck, so spent the last couple hours using her party to quick-run around and get the lay of the land/early quests and suss out the combat system more before starting over. Both Aloth and Eder's quips have made me lol so far, and I made one extra adventurer at the first Inn to see how that worked.

I don't like resting very much, often feels too cheesy situation-wise, so mages aren't all that useful to me yet, especially with all the friendly fire. Just need curse/blessing casters I guess.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I realized that one of the two hero versions of the game was actually a royal version associated with my box. So the bad news is that I'm going to have to buy a hero copy to give to the buddy who thought he had a copy. The good news is that I can now play the game! So, I'm playing Pillars of Eternity. I've been jonesin' to play, and I'm clearly a backer, but I will say now that I've been impressed so far. I haven't played enough to feel comfortable giving it my unreserved approval (having been burnt in the past by various games) but if it stays this good... *awesome!*

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!