Backer Beta Build 480 Portraits

Karkarov is simply wearing generic helmet #4. That's the nicest and coolest thing about the cowl and the helmet portraits in my opinion, there can be anyone underneath there (which you define in character creation on the appearance section).

Karkarov is simply wearing generic helmet #4. That's the nicest and coolest thing about the cowl and the helmet portraits in my opinion, there can be anyone underneath there (which you define in character creation on the appearance section).

Hey Osvir.... this is Generic Helmet #1.... #1!!!!  You got it?!?!?!?!?!!?

Hopefully the game is successful and when the sequel is made, you are allowed a bigger budget for 2D artists :)

That's the goal. I've already spoke to many of the principal folks around here. I'd love to get more 2D artists on the team full time. If the game does well it will almost assuredly be a high priority.

Any chance that in the future, the team will revisit old areas to give it an updated art? Like items, area maps that did not get a paintover job due to time constraint, and other elements. Kinda  like how League of Legend update their earlier art , giving them new textures and champion portraits. 

• Like 2

Also, is it just me, or is that pale elf just a little bit *too* pale?

It didn't even occur to me that it is a pale elf before reading this. I was like:" Cool drow portrait" and now it just dawned on me, that there are no drows. :D

• Like 1

@Bobby Null

Thanks for chiming in.

The portraits Kaz and the rest of the art team pulled off for PoE are amazing and I am very appreciative of their quantity, especially in light of the fact that joinable NPCs have their own unique portraits (which didn't happen in BG and BGII).

More orlan, aumaua, and godlike portraits for the expansion sounds great (and even more so if you can sneak in a few more for human, elven, and dwarven subraces).

Quick, mildly related question—currently there are many unique items in PoE that lack unique icons/animations. I appreciate that it takes a long time to do those, but they also add a great deal to those items' feeling unique/special. Is there any hope that the expansion may add unique icons/animations to those items (even if they are not new, expansion-only items)?

Edited by AndreaColombo
  • Like 2

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Unfortunately, companion portraits are being compressed by the game to DXT5 and they look sh1t compared to the external lossless ones.

Damn :(

Guess you reported this as a bug? It really should be fixed!

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

You know what we need? A remake of the extremely old, extremely classic "Edwin"-style portrait.

O6uFzhf.pngFs8Nvm2.png

And honestly, after the travesty that was the BG2 version, the closer to source material, the better.

I realized I wanted this after someone mentioned people using avatars based on PoE portaits, and for a second I almost changed into the hooded female (because it looks amazing) and then I realized that I really want a male version of that, followed by the sudden realization that damn, we need the ol' mage portrait up in this, "as according to Kaz".

• Like 1

t50aJUd.jpg

It's possible, but doubtful (don't quote me). We may do a few in patches but that would be up to production. Once the game ships we will quickly need to move people on the team over to the expansion. Remember, we promised the expansion and many backers have already paid for it. Kaz is the only full time concept artist on the team right now and he will need to get busy on new scripted interactions, icons, bestiary entries, etc etc.

The list of portraits I originally created was always intended to have some for the expansion, that's why the list was so big. While we feel there are plenty of portraits we would like to (and need to) do, we feel really good in what the art team managed to accomplish for launch.To put it in perspective. Baldur's Gate (the original) had 32 portraits. Pillars of Eternity will ship with about 70, give or take.

Quoted! But no worries, if the whole production process doesn't allow for it, then it doesn't allow for it. I'll chime in with the other guys saying that having an additional 2D artist would be awesome (especially if it allows for IE-style 2D item portraits). But when the expansion comes out, a backport of the portraits would be nice. I'm one of the ones that paid for the expansion already, so it doesn't really matter to me, but some others might appreciate it. I know seeing the expanded list of portraits in b480 made me pretty happy. More portraits is always good. Especially on Aumaua/Godlike/Orlans since we can't really rely on existing portrait packs for those.

Either way, cheerio. Have this Bugbane Keyboard +3 in the meantime. And this 24-pack of Redbull. And also steak. Steak is awesome. Unless you prefer lasagna. Lasagna is also awesome.

Edited by Headbomb
  • Like 2

It's such a cool design for my paladin, I don't want my paladin to be Karkarov, I want my paladin to be me. Please. 

To be serious for a moment I don't get a "paladin" vibe when I look at this helmet.

It's such a cool design for my paladin, I don't want my paladin to be Karkarov, I want my paladin to be me. Please. 

To be serious for a moment I don't get a "paladin" vibe when I look at this helmet.

It's pretty Bleak Walker-y.

But yeah, the new portraits made me switch the character I was going to play completely. The female wild orlan one is just too good not to use. Seriously good work, whoever drew that.

• Like 2

Hum, for the beta testers, how does the portrait selection works? Because there are a lot of portraits with just slight variations in colors and clothing details. I don't know, it might be just a personal thing, but I think it would look better if there were side arrows to search between different portraits and up/down arrows to swap between color variations of the same portrait. Otherwise it all looks kind of mixed and thown there, i don't know. What do you guys think?

Edited by LuccA

Hum, for the beta testers, how does the portrait selection works? Because there are a lot of portraits with just slight variations in colors and clothing details. I don't know, it might be just a personal thing, but I think it would look better if there were side arrows to search between different portraits and up/down arrows to swap between color variations of the same portrait. Otherwise it all looks kind of mixed and thown there, i don't know. What do you guys think?

The selection start at the gender/race selected and you can go left/right for changing it. Portraits with variation of each others are one after the other and there is usually no more than 3 of those.

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

I do.  That's totally the helmet of someone who will set you on fire for believing 'wrong.' 

It's possible, but doubtful (don't quote me). We may do a few in patches but that would be up to production. Once the game ships we will quickly need to move people on the team over to the expansion. Remember, we promised the expansion and many backers have already paid for it. Kaz is the only full time concept artist on the team right now and he will need to get busy on new scripted interactions, icons, bestiary entries, etc etc.

The list of portraits I originally created was always intended to have some for the expansion, that's why the list was so big. While we feel there are plenty of portraits we would like to (and need to) do, we feel really good in what the art team managed to accomplish for launch.To put it in perspective. Baldur's Gate (the original) had 32 portraits. Pillars of Eternity will ship with about 70, give or take.

Quoted! But no worries, if the whole production process doesn't allow for it, then it doesn't allow for it. I'll chime in with the other guys saying that having an additional 2D artist would be awesome (especially if it allows for IE-style 2D item portraits). But when the expansion comes out, a backport of the portraits would be nice. I'm one of the ones that paid for the expansion already, so it doesn't really matter to me, but some others might appreciate it. I know seeing the expanded list of portraits in b480 made me pretty happy. More portraits is always good. Especially on Aumaua/Godlike/Orlans since we can't really rely on existing portrait packs for those.

Either way, cheerio. Have this Bugbane Keyboard +3 in the meantime. And this 24-pack of Redbull. And also steak. Steak is awesome. Unless you prefer lasagna. Lasagna is also awesome.

There are still a few portraits that are done or really close to done that didn't make it into b480. There are also a few revamps on existing portraits that will be in release. So you guys and gals will still have a few surprises when you load the game up for reals.

• Like 4

If I didn't say it earlier in the thread: I absolutely love the "Copy/Clone" technique you use on the portraits you've done now (the older ones are fine, female nature godlike, but the new ones are way way better). It's easy to see that they're using the same template, or is a template of the other, but they still differ enough to feel unique on their own :)

The Female Pale Elf (Old) + Wood Elf (New) are definately favorites.

• Like 2