480 Discussion

Sensuki

The game says you get 3 accuracy a level now. Thats new right? Didnt notice that before.

You get +3 Accuracy and Defenses per level, always been the case.

Are you changing Dex in the IE mod...seems like a nice spot for Deflection.

Nah, but feel free to rename the strings of those attributes yourself though ;)

Edited by Sensuki

The game says you get 3 accuracy a level now. Thats new right? Didnt notice that before.

You get +3 Accuracy and Defenses per level, always been the case.

Are you changing Dex in the IE mod...seems like a nice spot for Deflection.

Nah, but feel free to rename the strings of those attributes yourself though ;)

Yea i think I'll put the stats the way i want them.

Just curious but you think dex is OK as is?

You guys lost me there with dat "clipping". Can I get some context? what is this clipping everyone is talking about?

Did you watch any of the videos? It's pretty obvious. The characters have no collision so they can stack on each other and or run through things.

I seen several video the others have recently upload. I got confused when I the whole bar started to rush in and attack the party.

There was some weird skills that was used in that video seem off.  One of the characters was using somekind of whirlwind skill (diablo and path of exile like abilities) that the npc rush into melee range and got one-shotted. However, the video didn't show it being casted. 

You guys lost me there with dat "clipping". Can I get some context? what is this clipping everyone is talking about?

Did you watch any of the videos? It's pretty obvious. The characters have no collision so they can stack on each other and or run through things.

I seen several video the others have recently upload. I got confused when I the whole bar started to rush in and attack the party.

There was some weird skills that was used in that video seem off.  One of the characters was using somekind of whirlwind skill (diablo and path of exile like abilities) that the npc rush into melee range and got one-shotted. However, the video didn't show it being casted.

Most of those attacks were engagement attacks or disengagement rather.... He was showing an exploit with the system.

More on shapeshifting:

* Shapeshift is now actually useful, if only for recovery-penalty-free 8-10 DT from being in a form + form specific benefits. I like Wolf for the extra move speed as well, and you can use knockdown to break engagement in melee. It serves a defensive purpose as an on-occasion thing. It does decent damage and might conserve a spell or two if you're in an encounter where it's safe enough to use your druid as melee.

* Building a Druid as a primary melee combatant is still a very bad idea. By taking stats making you more survivable in melee, you make yourself weaker offensively. By choosing generic melee talents you are reducing your effectiveness as a caster/ranged character.

* Spiritshift is 1/encounter and seems to have a duration which is not that long(or it's bugged and I'm getting dropped out of it for odd reasons). It doesn't display a duration in the tooltip. I've gotten dumped out of it at inopportune moments.

* Quite simply, you do way more damage as a caster and are more versatile. I have done a few tests on the early fights already. My caster druid easily tops damage(using the BB characters each time for consistency). My melee druid ... well he does not, at least not unless he just goes caster-mode and drops blizzards instead of running around being a werewolf. And in caster mode, he's less of a liability and I don't have to go emergency werewolf saving mode because I'm using a somewhat fragile caster class in melee.

* If I need to cast any of the druid's support, healing, crowd control spells to react to a bad situation, melee is not where I want him to be. For one, you're often engaged, limiting your movement so you cannot easily manipulate things such as PBAoEs or conal AoEs. And of course, you're much more vulnerable to interrupts.

* Claws do decent damage but still no accuracy bonus. This is a big deal, especially since Druids don't start with high accuracy.

* No armor enchants while in animal form. This means -2 Might, -2 Intellect for my Druid while in it.

Excuse me for butchering this portrait, but the hair on this portrait drives me nuts, it sits much better when the angle of the hair actually matches the angle of the head

like so

1D3SlmG.png

• Like 1

* Claws do decent damage but still no accuracy bonus. This is a big deal, especially since Druids don't start with high accuracy.

Yeah that sucks, you should probably get at least your level bonus when using it.

Excuse me for butchering this portrait, but the hair on this portrait drives me nuts, it sits much better when the angle of the hair actually matches the angle of the head

like so

1D3SlmG.png

Meh... that's what my hair looks like... when I do remember to apply the brush 

• Like 1

Were they able to tweak combat music so it fades out or in slower? The .5 sec fade they used before was way too short. I'm glad that they've added in more ambient sounds. I specifically requested that about a wk or two ago and sounds like they sure tried to do it.

Also, are Monks still bags of fun?

Edited by Falkon Swiftblade

I beat the Medreth fight on Path of the Damned difficulty with no one getting knocked down. My Khal Drogo 2-H Coastal Aumau Barb almost fell but I pulled through. I recorded it however my internet died and I'm posting this on LTE. The video will only be up tomorrow folks sorry!

Couple things to note for this fight was that I didn't recruit the an extra 6th adventurer, so I was only working with 5-man party. I used all the given equipment. Didn't buy any weapons or armor. I did enchant a sword. I effectively used a trap. Very micro-managey and pausing but its fine for me because it makes you think and puts you on your toes!

Edited by TrueMenace

Calibrating...

HAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHHAH

uploading a video

hahhahah

Auto attack is OFF.

In the past beta, we were able to make them clip manually, but I don't recall so much. :)

Maybe some additional tweaking lowering the party fluidness will be useful then... But I guess some clipping is better than no clipping.

If I uderstand it, there is this combat X non-combat distinction. Besides possible exploits by positioning before the start, I wonder whether the change of pathfinging wouldn't feel too much unnaturally different to due to no clipping in combat and a lot clipping outside. 

Doesn't the green clouds under the feet indicate that the character is being flanked?

I think so, but it's really annoying. I know if my character is being flanked if they are engaged by more than one enemy and I can see it on the tooltip. I don't need some green spew under my character's feet saying HOLY FK DUDE YOU ARE FLANKED - you can't really do anything about it anyway due to the engagement system.

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 5

confirmed, dexterity is fixed.

I see the dreams so marvelously sad

The creeks of land so solid and encrusted

Where wave and tide against the shore is busted

While chanting by the moonlit twilight's bed

trees (of Twin Elms) could use more of Magran's touch © Durance

No, they just fixed the bugs. Attributes are not difficult to change though, so tough luck everyone else I guess ... but I'm going to change it.

Yeah, but you like the 1-caster-stat-to-rule-them-all, I don't, and I'm not sure I can be arsed to try to fix the attributes myself for my first playthrough. :p

t50aJUd.jpg

I think so, but it's really annoying. I know if my character is being flanked if they are engaged by more than one enemy and I can see it on the tooltip. I don't need some green spew under my character's feet saying HOLY FK DUDE YOU ARE FLANKED - you can't really do anything about it anyway due to the engagement system.

Expert mode = removes helpers

• Like 2

But odds are that you don't actually want to remove all helpers. Until the current Engagement system has been fixed or removed, you really need those helpers to make any sense of combat. :| I'm with Sensuki, I don't even see why it's relevant to inform someone of something they cannot really do anything about, or why it needs to be so.. glaring.

Edited by Luckmann
  • Like 5

t50aJUd.jpg

But odds are that you don't actually want to remove all helpers. Until the current Engagement system has been fixed or removed, you really need those helpers to make any sense of combat. :| I'm with Sensuki, I don't even see why it's relevant to inform someone of something they cannot really do anything about, or why it needs to be so.. glaring.

There are multiple ways to do something about it when one's flanked, and I find that kind of visual feature actually useful, since that ui space is not used in any other way otherwise.

1669_planescape_torment-prev.png

More thoughts on shapeshifting-

-The models are still butt ugly.Would be nice if they could close their dorky mouths. They look like World of Warcraft mobs, constantly trying too hard to look like vicious animals but failing miserably and just ending up comically slack jawed.

-Damage is good, but they're still not up to par with enchanted weapons. They need +accuracy. That along with the high base damage could be too strong at early levels potentially, so I'd scale their claws a bit with character level.

-They could use their own attribute bonuses, to make up for lacking enchantments on their armor. These could vary based on form and/or scale with level a bit as well.

- It doesn't need a duration. I've considered this, and it's really a nuisance being popped out of form all of the sudden but most fights are practically over by the time you're out of it if you have high int - which a druid should stack of course. The game also isn't currently displaying duration anywhere I can see at least. The form isn't overpowered enough to need a time limit, and it shouldn't be - it should offer versatility/utility without usurping actual fighters, rogues, etc.

- There's no reason their special abilities such as roar/knockdown need to be per rest rather than per encounter. It seems an arbitrary limitation, more nuisance than anything.

- A bonus to stamina and deflection wouldn't hurt.

- Wildstrike doesn't seem to be updated or isn't displaying the changes in the text. It just says +10% freeze damage for base and greater, rather than:

wildstrike proc has been increased from 10% to 30%. greater wildstrike from 10% to 15%

- JE Sawyer's twitter.

Any good soul to post existing/old portraits that got a polish pass for this build? :D

Agreed on clipping being absolutely ridiculous. It has to go.

And for the sake of anything you hold dear, if we're to cope with engagement make it at least non-cheesable!

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus