480 Discussion

Sensuki

I don't know any game with a top down camera that has real-time gameplay that does not use unit collision, just saying. There are a bunch of reasons why it's a really bad idea - it looks bad and it is immersion breaking, but engagement is a unique case to consider. If anyone remembers the thread I made in December explaining how engagement works and why abuse is possible, they may remember that all you have to do to get them is to have engagement circles of different units overlapping like a Venn diagram.

Just like every other build there are a lot of new bugs, found about 50 of them so far and that's not even trying to look for them either.

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 5

So how much dev time is needed to realize disengagement is utterly broken and either needs to go or needs someone to sit down and actually fix it?

Depends, are we talking Sawyer or any other developer? Because I think pretty much everyone knows by now that Engagement has some really serious issues, and have had those issues for ages, but in order for it to still be in the game, there really has to be someone sitting there with their arms crossed, saying no, no, no, no, no.

t50aJUd.jpg

It would be fine if they kept the engagement AI stuff but removed the disengagement attacks - that's how the IE mod implementation works. Keeps the good bit about it, removes the bad bit.

• Like 1

I'd say that a pretty big part of the point is the disengagement attacks.

"You're a fool if you believe I would trust your benevolence. Step aside and you and your lackeys will be unhurt."

Baldur's Gate portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale 2 portraits for Pillars of Eternity

[slap Aloth]

Just like every other build there are a lot of new bugs, found about 50 of them so far and that's not even trying to look for them either.

*Sigh*.

I guess this will go the way of Wasteland 2. Lots of post release patches but not going anywhere fast.

They've fixed a lot of older bugs, I've checked between 1/3 to 1/2 of my bug reports from the last patch but I've got a lot more go through. They've fixed probably about 60% of the ones I checked that I reported in v435, but not many of the ones older than that.

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 1

Blunderbusses got reduced to 6-9, but gained some DT (4). Still -10 acc penalty.

@Sensuki - your worst fears come to life, Fun is being nerfed.

Also - I think weapon switching still has its issues, time between switches seems inconsistent.

Edited by Veevoir

Could we get some dev feedback on the clipping exploit? Is it atleast known and/or being pondered upon? :)

You know, I'm sure part of this is our fault for hounding them to give us a new BB to test and you could tell they weren't ready to release it, but felt like they needed to. But, sometimes it boggles the mind if we're only a handful of testers who aren't experts at finding bug's and they have a staff internally of like 8-13 full time, plus the guys at the publisher paradox or whatever they're called, and anyone else we may not know about testing this I can only imagine their bug list has got to be in the hundreds and hundreds of thing's they're working on. This is only a tiny snippet of the big game. Just imagine what's left in the real game they have to try and fix in the next few weeks. But, better to find em sooner than later. Sometimes it's a simple fix like closing a tag in code for example.

• Like 1

Like what?

I can only imagine their bug list has got to be in the hundreds and hundreds of thing's they're working on. This is only a tiny snippet of the big game. Just imagine what's left in the real game they have to try and fix in the next few weeks. But, better to find em sooner than later. Sometimes it's a simple fix like closing a tag in code for example.

The DotA 2 bug list has thousands of bugs still in the game, and that is a constantly updated game that has been in development for many years.

Edited by Sensuki

Also the BB is a week or so behind (or even more?), I'm not even sure if a lot of this recent issues are still in the actual game.

So, what?  They sent out the beta build to have people check for bugs that don't exist anymore?  Sounds... useful.

Also the BB is a week or so behind (or even more?), I'm not even sure if a lot of this recent issues are still in the actual game.

So, what?  They sent out the beta build to have people check for bugs that don't exist anymore?  Sounds... useful.

Because they are still bugs to be found and a day 0 patch to be filled with fixes.

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

Like what?

I can only imagine their bug list has got to be in the hundreds and hundreds of thing's they're working on. This is only a tiny snippet of the big game. Just imagine what's left in the real game they have to try and fix in the next few weeks. But, better to find em sooner than later. Sometimes it's a simple fix like closing a tag in code for example.

The DotA 2 bug list has thousands of bugs still in the game, and that is a constantly updated game that has been in development for many years.

true, I play a mobile game called honorbound and the same friggen bug has existed at least 7-9 months even though they keep putting out new versions and I've reported it dozens of times. Also some of the bug's seem too convenient like if you gain an item that fills up your bank vault or your xp to level up by a large amount the game crashes and you don't get the item when you try to activate it. 

Low level wizard self buff/defensive "gish" spells don't seem to've improved unless I'm missing something. I'm still taking the obvious "real wizard" picks.

Eldritch Aim is still really good especially since accuracy is gone from attributes as of 435, but that's not for gish reasons.

Edited by Odd Hermit

Low level wizard self buff/defensive "gish" spells don't seem to've improved unless I'm missing something. I'm still taking the obvious "real wizard" picks.

The changes Josh was talking about a couple of days ago are not in v480. The BB was made from a build generated earlier in the week. Which means we won't see them until release.

• Like 1

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

Because they are still bugs to be found and a day 0 patch to be filled with fixes.

Yes?  So you don't distract people with stuff already fixed.  That way they can focus on the still existing ones that need work.

The logic behind what you are suggesting makes no sense.  Not updating the beta build again with two weeks left is perfectly sensible, but there is zero reason to send out an old build rather the current build for the final beta cycle.

More thoughts on shapeshifting-

-The models are still butt ugly.Would be nice if they could close their dorky mouths. They look like World of Warcraft mobs, constantly trying too hard to look like vicious animals but failing miserably and just ending up comically slack jawed.

-Damage is good, but they're still not up to par with enchanted weapons. They need +accuracy. That along with the high base damage could be too strong at early levels potentially, so I'd scale their claws a bit with character level.

-They could use their own attribute bonuses, to make up for lacking enchantments on their armor. These could vary based on form and/or scale with level a bit as well.

- It doesn't need a duration. I've considered this, and it's really a nuisance being popped out of form all of the sudden but most fights are practically over by the time you're out of it if you have high int - which a druid should stack of course. The game also isn't currently displaying duration anywhere I can see at least. The form isn't overpowered enough to need a time limit, and it shouldn't be - it should offer versatility/utility without usurping actual fighters, rogues, etc.

- There's no reason their special abilities such as roar/knockdown need to be per rest rather than per encounter. It seems an arbitrary limitation, more nuisance than anything.

- A bonus to stamina and deflection wouldn't hurt.

- Wildstrike doesn't seem to be updated or isn't displaying the changes in the text. It just says +10% freeze damage for base and greater, rather than:

wildstrike proc has been increased from 10% to 30%. greater wildstrike from 10% to 15%

- JE Sawyer's twitter.

It's possible that change didn't make it into this build...

The changes Josh was talking about a couple of days ago are not in v480. The BB was made from a build generated earlier in the week. Which means we won't see them until release.

I figured. Barnacles!

oh my days! whats up with that no collusion abuse :w00t:

Edited by ruzen

Kana - "Sorry. It seems I'm not very good at raising spirits." Kana winces. "That was unintentional."

Yes?  So you don't distract people with stuff already fixed.  That way they can focus on the still existing ones that need work.

The logic behind what you are suggesting makes no sense.  Not updating the beta build again with two weeks left is perfectly sensible, but there is zero reason to send out an old build rather the current build for the final beta cycle.

They don't lean on backer beta players to find bugs, but get feed back of features and gameplay, which are things that they probably will not change anymore at this point before release. If players of backer beta find bugs that their QA team has not yet found it is added bonus. They released this latest patch for backer beta because lots of people have asked one last patch before release for couple weeks now and we have paid extra for that privilege that we get to play version of the game that is still under development. So in short they probably don't aim to gain much with this latest patch, but they released it because they felt obligated to do so and they know that it pleases us even though we complain about things in it. 

• Like 1