New Real Time With Pause Dungeons & Dragons RPG - SWORD COAST LEGENDS

Infinitron

I didn't get my hopes up with this.  The last D&D game I enjoyed was NWN2 MotB.  I agree with the sentiment that mentioning the IE games was disingenuous.  They made a much more casual game, and that is fine.  However, they tried to use less casual games with a cult following to gain attention.  It worked, but then they showed those people the game, and many find it leaves a lot to be desired.  I don't believe many fans of the PnP games want a game that is a huge leap from the source books, but they also understand that those turn based mechanics will go through some changes to make them applicable to a RTwP game.  This is why the IE games were enjoyed.  They didn't change things unless they were needed.  DAO was what it was, but they didn't have a library full of rules that people expect either.  

I am not saying that I won't pick the game up and give it a go.  I won't get it day 1, though.  I will likely get it on the cheap when a sale comes a ways after release.  If you are going to use the D&D license, and want my day 1 support, then you gotta try to adhere to the source.  Otherwise, you may as well have some originality and create your own world.  

Heck, Pillars of Eternity seems more like D&D than the full blown D&D licensed game.  That to me seems strange, and it makes me a bit sad for the D&D game.  

• Like 2

The CEO of n-Space posted on one of the threads:

14 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:13 PM

Hello, all.

Earlier today I joined the forums and introduced myself. To recap, I'm Dan O'Leary, Co-Founder and CEO of n-Space. I've been catching up on things today and will continue to do so. I can't promise I'll be on every day, respond to every thread, or answer every question, but I am here and I am listening. So is the rest of the team, either personally or by proxy through others. We also watch Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, etc. Or try. We do have a game to make, after all.

So far I've seen a pretty good dialog overall on these forums. Some are happy about things that others are unhappy about. I won't address specific hot topic criticisms in this thread, but we are making notes to review with the team.

Thank you for being a part of this community. Stay frosty.

Well, the upshot is they are listening. He didn't give away much info but at least they are listening. I guess bitching might serve some purpose after all.

Honestly, that sounds like standard corporate "We're listening! Really!" talk, without any real intentions to do anything about it other than hopefully assuage customers long enough to trick them into buying the product/service. Basically, I'll believe it when I see it.

Reminds me of DA:I's hype/PR train before release.  Made for PC my arse.  Got burned there, not getting burned by this.  My interest is still very much there for SCL, but no way will I be pre-ordering, or even buying Day 1 if this is more DAO in the Realms than it is D&D in the Realms.

I'm definitely one of the ones complaining over there and it remains to be seen if they really are listening and what this will turn out to be. Based on what I've read so far I'm guessing it will be a puree of vanilla mush that might have a passing wave at something resembling D&D but has been dumbed down to appeal to the 15 year old MMO gamer that names his characters after bodily functions and uses words like pwned.

Man I hope I'm wrong. But the truth is if we get a robust toolset that is accessible and comprehensive as what we had in NWN I (sorry Josh the NWN II toolset was a mess) I can live with all that. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I'm definitely one of the ones complaining over there and it remains to be seen if they really are listening and what this will turn out to be. Based on what I've read so far I'm guessing it will be a puree of vanilla mush that might have a passing wave at something resembling D&D but has been dumbed down to appeal to the 15 year old MMO gamer that names his characters after bodily functions and uses words like pwned.

Man I hope I'm wrong. But the truth is if we get a robust toolset that is accessible and comprehensive as what we had in NWN I (sorry Josh the NWN II toolset was a mess) I can live with all that.

Honestly, I don't think the NWN2 toolset was that bad, it's just freaking hard to build stuff that isn't tile-based and make it look decent. Or maybe that's just for me...

Youre referring to post 240? Nothing official by the developer though, right?

Regarding point 1, thank god that's gone.

Regarding point 2, with as "confused" as THAC0 makes newer players, this is probably a step in the right direction. PoE started out the same way, no missing.

I haven't seen anything on resting / healing and death / resurrection but hopefully there isn't any moronic limiters to those either.

You're having a different discussion than me. You're talking about whether you like those changes or not and whether they seem fun to you. I obviously can't prove you wrong on that. What I'm saying is that those aspects show a very clear divergence from how D&D CRPGs of the past played, so much so that the combat gameplay we see in that video doesn't really evoke games like Baldur's Gate or NWN. That much is quite obvious from that video - unless you think we need to read the manual and play the full game to be able to tell. 

From what I know of you personally, I think you don't really enjoy hardcore RPG mechanics and would prefer a relatively casual and actiony romp. I don't mean that as an insult - and I don't think you'll take it as one, given your self-professed preferences. I think you may well enjoy SCL. Which is my point. I don't have a bone to grind with SCL not being my cup of tea - that's not a problem. I do think it was disingenious of them to announce themselves as the return of good old D&D CRPGs.

Oh no....I have the feeling the support of this game isn't going down well on RPGCodex....am I right Tigranes ? Tell me I''m right ...and if I'm  right its not because I went to the Codex its because I have certain psychic abilities and sometimes I just see " images " of the reality of certain situations  :biggrin:  

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

The player campaign video reminds me a lot like dungeon seige 1. Everything from the look and feel of the game reminds me of DS1. SCL have a lot of potential but I think the devs missed their mark and did not capture the feeling of a D&D games.  

Regarding point 2, with as "confused" as THAC0 makes newer players, this is probably a step in the right direction. PoE started out the same way, no missing.

I haven't seen anything on resting / healing and death / resurrection but hopefully there isn't any moronic limiters to those either.

You're having a different discussion than me. You're talking about whether you like those changes or not and whether they seem fun to you. I obviously can't prove you wrong on that. What I'm saying is that those aspects show a very clear divergence from how D&D CRPGs of the past played, so much so that the combat gameplay we see in that video doesn't really evoke games like Baldur's Gate or NWN. That much is quite obvious from that video - unless you think we need to read the manual and play the full game to be able to tell. 

From what I know of you personally, I think you don't really enjoy hardcore RPG mechanics and would prefer a relatively casual and actiony romp. I don't mean that as an insult - and I don't think you'll take it as one, given your self-professed preferences. I think you may well enjoy SCL. Which is my point. I don't have a bone to grind with SCL not being my cup of tea - that's not a problem. I do think it was disingenious of them to announce themselves as the return of good old D&D CRPGs.

Tigranes is right on the money. If I invited all of you for dinner promising steak, prime rib, and an open bar and then when you all get there you find out I'm serving hamburgers  and potato chips with one can of cheap beer you'd be a little disappointed. That is not to say burgers and chips are not good, it just wasn't what I promised you.

They pitched this project by throwing around the D&D brand and the promise to live up to the IE games and NWN. That attracted a vocal and passionate audience. But the meal they are serving up, even though it's not out of the kitchen yet, is something else entirely. Their own forums have gone from being full of mooning fanboys to shark infested waters. 

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Tigranes is right on the money. If I invited all of you for dinner promising steak, prime rib, and an open bar and then when you all get there you find out I'm serving hamburgers  and potato chips with one can of cheap beer you'd be a little disappointed. That is not to say burgers and chips are not good, it just wasn't what I promised you.

They pitched this project by throwing around the D&D brand and the promise to live up to the IE games and NWN. That attracted a vocal and passionate audience. But the meal they are serving up, even though it's not out of the kitchen yet, is something else entirely. Their own forums have gone from being full of mooning fanboys to shark infested waters. 

Oh now I understand, Tigranes in future use analogies that involve food..they much easier to understand  :biggrin:

By the way GD are you really inviting me for dinner....or was this just part of your post and not to be taken seriously..because I love steak and prime  rib !!!

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

:lol:

You said it "indisputably" doesn't have much to do with D&D. I ask why, you say "see above". I ask if the devs said anything official and you evoke a few minute video and say you don't need to see the rules. Oooookaaaay. Good talk. And yes, I like my games to not have built in suck mechanics. 

Ah, you feel all bait-and-switched. I get that same feeling from PoE so I can commiserate.

Ah, you feel all bait-and-switched. I get that same feeling from PoE so I can commiserate.

Sure. They are promising a modern IWD, BG, etc and it LOOKS like they are making DA:O lite in a D&D setting. Whatever. I'm already in for $50 so if it sucks as far as I'm concerned I just bought a really expensive soundtrack.

How do you figure PoE was bait & switched. I haven't really been following it. They didn't decide to go MMO did they?

Thomas Sowell

Oh now I understand, Tigranes in future use analogies that involve food..they much easier to understand  :biggrin:

By the way GD are you really inviting me for dinner....or was this just part of your post and not to be taken seriously..because I love steak and prime  rib !!!

I think the real message was: "Do you like hamburgers?" :p

• Like 2

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

I'm not sure if you guys know but I found out that they stream sword coast legend on twitch a day ago. (during pillar launch). I saw a bit of it.

And? How was it, don't leave us hanging  :biggrin:

John Milton 

Here you go Bruce.

Thx  :thumbsup:

John Milton 

Cool video. Dig the Hellbolt spell and it looks like there are several tilesets to choose from. :thumbsup:

Also they do talk about D&D terms like a DM so its not completely dissimilar to D&D ?

John Milton 

Careful Bruce, you're libel to kick over hornet nest with that question. :lol: Looking at the spells and abilities, its clearly using D&D, however the devs are apparently tight lipped on how much (5E) they are using. It has the blessing of WotC so it would seem they cant deviate too far from source. Other posters seem very upset though so I dunno.

• Like 1

Careful Bruce, you're libel to kick over hornet nest with that question. :lol: Looking at the spells and abilities, its clearly using D&D, however the devs are apparently tight lipped on how much (5E) they are using. It has the blessing of WotC so it would seem they cant deviate too far from source. Other posters seem very upset though so I dunno.

I can completely understand Tigranes criticism but he is looking at this type of game from a RPGCodex perspective so they generally would be more pedantic and critical  around how developers promote there games if they are perceived to be disingenuous 

I am just looking to be entertained but obviously the game must be good

But its important that we get Tigranes view on why he is disappointed with this game because then I have more information about the overall game :)

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

I am just looking to be entertained but obviously the game must be good...

Amen brother. Although the warm cloak of familiarity (D&D) makes me very excited. I don't even understand the terminology in PoE. For example, this is an excerpt from the strategy guide on a dagger:

Interrupt: 30 (Weak)

Damage: 8-12 Slash vs. Defl ection

Accurate: +5 Accuracy

Exceptional: +8 Accuracy, x1.3 All Damage

What the hell does that Accuracy even mean? Plus 5 out of what, 100? Do those two stack for a total of +13 Accuracy?

What would this be analogous to in D&D terms?

Wheres my pants? laughing.gif

• Like 1

I am just looking to be entertained but obviously the game must be good...

Amen brother. Although the warm cloak of familiarity (D&D) makes me very excited. I don't even understand the terminology in PoE. For example, this is an except from the strategy guide on a dagger:

Interrupt: 30 (Weak)

Damage: 8-12 Slash vs. Defl ection

Accurate: +5 Accuracy

Exceptional: +8 Accuracy, x1.3 All Damage

What the hell does that Accuracy even mean? Plus 5 out of what, 100? Do those two stack for a total of +13 Accuracy?

What would this be analogous to in D&D terms?

Wheres my pants? :lol:

:lol:  

I normally wouldn't have stated this because I also have NO idea how the ruleset works in PoE but I'll apply myself once I start playing the game plus I know there are many people on these forums I could ask who really really understand the PoE ruleset like Sensuki, Stun or Tigranes 

John Milton