What are you playing now?

Blarghagh

Tried to get back into playing Destiny.  It's just so boring, once you've finished the main story and done those raids/bounties a couple of times.  It just feels so empty.  Borderlands did a better job of making things seem engaging, even after you'd gone through the game a time or two.

• Like 1

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Wait, what, a street bike racing game, on country roads and Grand Prix circuits, with new and vintage motorcycles, including my own, plus all the bikes I ever wanted to ride. Okay, here's my money, take it. Dainese leathers will never be this cheap, even if it is paid DLC, I don't care, it's Italian. 

http://www.gamestop.com/ps4/games/ride/120479

Wait, I'm not playing this now. Not until May, looks like. Next week for Steam, though.  

Edited by ManifestedISO

All Stop. On Screen.

Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition to tide me over till PoE comes.

I think I'd rather that Beamdog compressed the audio files for the new characters so they don't sound so out of place.

• Like 1
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

Scooped up BInfinite with all the DLCs on sale.  The Linux port came out a couple days ago and the report is that it's a good port, despite it not being truly native.  It runs through a DirectX to OpenGL wrapper and was ported by the same company that did the TWitcher2 port (which was kinda poor at first but they patched it and is actually quite good now).  It will obviously never run as well as the Windows version, because a translation layer will always have some overhead, and obviously I'd prefer a truly native port, but so long as I can crank everything to maximum and get 60 FPS, I'll be happy, and all indications are that I will be able to (I ran it for about 15 minutes this morning and it ran smooth as a baby's bottom).  

I don't know how much of it I'll get to play, as once PoE releases, I'm all in on that game, but I might be able to finish the base game before then and save the Burial at Sea stuff for later.  Alternatively, I can play it sometimes as a change of pace from PoE.  I can use a change of pace from time to time when engaged in a deep, meaty cRPG.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I got bored with it before hitting the max level or finishing the story. It looks great but it's just so lifeless and boring

It's also weird how few people seem to be running around (at least in my experience on the PS4).

I've had to solo quite a few of those random Gold Tier event encounters because no other player was on the map with me at the time.  At most, there's maybe 1 or 2 people there.

I also think Destiny failed at the loot system.  The majority of the guns/equipment drops suck, and the time it takes to upgrade each individual good piece of armor is ridiculous.  You have to grind so much to upgrade, but the maps are so empty there's not enough stuff to spend your time grinding on.

• Like 1

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I don't suppose there are any texture mods for BInfinite?  While the game looks gorgeous from a distance, there are some downright horrible textures up close.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I think I can push hard to finish DA:I this weekend.  I just got past the Orlesian Ball and I'm on the hunt for the Templars.  I did way better at the Ball this time through, but I still couldn't find many of those stupid statues.  Ah well, not my primary goal.

It is definitely going smoother the second time around.  I am comfortable skipping enough of the content that I don't get hung up time wasters.  I'm also enjoying using the weirder cast, Cole and Sera are actually pretty entertaining.   

So, I've played about 4 hours of BInfinite so far and I keep trying to figure out how in the world this is the highest rated FPS of all time.  Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying it and I think it's a good game, but there are plenty of better single player FPSs.

• Like 4

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Exactly my thoughts Keyrock, it's narrative which is said by many to be its strength is nonsensical, illogical and full of holes, the gameplay is subpar and the forced clumsy railroading is abhorrent in a game series that should be about choice and of course interactivity. Overall I was left feeling that I was playing a far different game to the journalists declaration of BEST GAME EVAH.

• Like 2

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Exactly my thoughts Keyrock, it's narrative which is said by many to be its strength is nonsensical, illogical and full of holes, the gameplay is subpar and the forced clumsy railroading is abhorrent in a game series that should be about choice and of course interactivity. Overall I was left feeling that I was playing a far different game to the journalists declaration of BEST GAME EVAH.

I think a lot of reviewers felt pressure to fawn all over it.  The game condemns racism (I know, bold stance, right?) and in the ****ed up shaming and outrage driven culture we live in, if you don't immediately get 100% behind something condemning racism and declare it the greatest thing ever, that somehow makes you pro-racism and you will be shamed into submission by people (ironically bigots) that will label you a racist and a bigot.

As for the gameplay, the shooting is solid and the vigors are kinda cool, but the game feels like a massive missed opportunity.  Outside of the rails, which are mostly used for transportation, the cool floating city setting is never really used in gameplay.  They could have done a whole lot of innovative, or at least cool gameplay incorporating the setting, but instead it's really not much more than an artistic backdrop to rather standard FPS gameplay.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 3

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

tumblr_ml9b2siweH1rrezs9o4_250.gif

• Like 3

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Bioshock: Infinite is a 93 on metacritic reviews and 8.5 on userscores. It was very well received but in time there was a backlash.

There were people unimpressed with it from the very start.

They were just drowned-out and even censored for quite a while.

For the record, I think BInfinite is a good game, I just don't think it's the MASTERPIECE the media made it out to be.  I can name 5 single player FPSs I think are significantly better right off the top of my head:

Wolfenstein: The New Order

Metro 2033

Metro Last Light

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadows of Chernobyl 

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.  Call of Pripyat

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

None of the Bioshock games are much good as fps. B2 is probably best as an fps, and even it isn't all that good.

Conversely, what they are very good at  is creating an atmosphere and (as long as you don't pay too much attention) telling a story, things which most fps aren't very good at. It's been that way since System Shock 2 really, much as I like SS2 if you play it as a straight fps it isn't much good, you have to treat it more according to its Thief roots, savour the ambience plus play on a hard difficulty and not rush around everywhere blasting everything; much like a Stalker title, really. The Bioshocks are far more about standard fps gameplay which unfortunately they aren't very good at, they do have tons of freedom in terms of tactics but there's very limited point in using half of said tactics because, by and large, just shooting stuff works better and there are just too many enemies to be creative.

The stories and philosophy are pretty decent though. They're not great in any absolute sense, and if you look at the detail it's all too frequently incoherent but for games they at least try to put something a bit more into the story than most do, especially AAA ones.

Currently playing through Fallout 2 with Mr Killap's Restoration Project, this really is a masterpiece and improves the base game in so many ways, and the added content really does flow naturally into the base game. Really highly recommended, I think I may finish the game before moving on to Poe, as i'm a little obsessed.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

SWTOR at the request of a friend.

Currently playing through Fallout 2 with Mr Killap's Restoration Project, this really is a masterpiece and improves the base game in so many ways, and the added content really does flow naturally into the base game. Really highly recommended, I think I may finish the game before moving on to Poe, as i'm a little obsessed.

I'm probably going to wait until PoE is patched before playing it TBH.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I played a bit of SWTOR recently, but got bored at the end. The HL content is a bit poor. The leveling is very good for some classes (like Imperial agent).

I'm waiting for PoE and thus playing a new chracter of The Sacred World. I think it has very good points for a mmorpg : the character system is very flexible and allows for a lot of combinations (no level, you gain skill points and power points that allow you to buy every powers and every weapon skill in the end, yet you have to decide on a "deck" of 7 active abilities and 7 passives).

The atmosphere is quite good to, lovecraftian, playing as a member of a secet society.

There are some investigation quests that are pretty hard to solve, either because of the puzzles or the details.

Fights are a bit more easy now (they lowered a bit the difficulty), yet you may have to be careful not to attract too many mobs.

All in all, for a small price (this is a mmo you pay for the game and don't have to pay a subscription after), you get plenty of fun hours, even if you are not into mmos and group playing, lots of solo contents.

Bioshock: Infinite is a 93 on metacritic reviews and 8.5 on userscores. It was very well received but in time there was a backlash.

Personally I enjoyed it a lot.

I found it to be the best of the series.  I enjoyed my play through of Infinite, but only found the first two games decent.