What are you playing now?

Blarghagh

I just beat Apotheon and got the platinum trophy. The wait for this game was worth it for me. I've been following its development for years and I am happy that it did not disappoint me. I don't even know how the game review or what the general consensus about the game is but I had a blast. I did get some serious rage attacks but that's part of the fun.

Just finished Mask of the Betrayer. I can't believe I delayed the playthrough for so long. It was unbelievably good. Now I need a break from RPGs so I come in fresh for Pillars of Eternity. Will probably play some random games, maybe The Wolf Among Us.

• Like 2

Just finished Mask of the Betrayer. I can't believe I delayed the playthrough for so long. It was unbelievably good.

Did you go the good guy route or the bad guy?  I thought the devs did a great job with the evil options.  In some ways, it was actually better crafted than the good guy options, although that's hard to judge since they were all so good.  I always play the good guy, of course, but the *truly* evil ending in particular was absolutely stunning and grim.

• Like 4

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Just finished Mask of the Betrayer. I can't believe I delayed the playthrough for so long. It was unbelievably good.

Did you go the good guy route or the bad guy?  I thought the devs did a great job with the evil options.  In some ways, it was actually better crafted than the good guy options, although that's hard to judge since they were all so good.  I always play the good guy, of course, but the *truly* evil ending in particular was absolutely stunning and grim.

I don't really know how to categorize the route I took since I played as a chaotic neutral character and I was mostly out for myself and my team - Gann and Safiya. So I helped them - killed the hags, rival red wizards and spared the founder (I mean, ye the curse and all, but I hold no grudge, and I can't do this to my main girl). 

I avoided needless killing (being evil just for the sake of being evil), but if someone asked for a fight I was the first to start stabbing ;).

I also tried to role-play as follower of Leira - so I lied and bluffed at every occasion with no regards to consequences.

I loved the game because it had so many neutral options for me as I barely got any G/E alignment shifts. I ended up at 0/48 and I bet I could count all the shift cases on my fingers.

In the end I chose to simply take back my soul - I don't care about the crusade. Killed Kaelyn and spared Akachi. Sliders said that Gann and Safiya traveled with me until Safiya returned to take over the Academy. I also reunited with Khelgar and Neeshka and rest of my story is yet to be told.

I was very satisfied with everything, really great role-playing experience. If Pillars of Eternity will be anything like this I will be very happy.

Edited by Fluffsy

...I don't know what the bad guy route you're talking about is. Perhaps I should replay...

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

...I don't know what the bad guy route you're talking about is. Perhaps I should replay...

It seems there are more than two endings and the "epilogue sliders" also differ greatly depending on the alignment. At least that's what wiki says.

Trust me, I don't even like alignment as a mechanic, but Obsidz did it right with that one!

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Trust me, I don't even like alignment as a mechanic, but Obsidz did it right with that one!

I don't like to be categorized as "good" or "evil" either, but the Lawful - Chaotic arc is pretty fair as it made sense most of the time. Also as I play rogues in every single RPG game I tend to role-play as someone that will not just go about helping every single poor soul out there - I'm a poor soul too, I need money and I want to steal everything. I like to play as a compulsive liar and kleptomaniac but not without reason, so if game has great dialog options that route can bring unexpected results and I simply can't imagine thief, liar and scoundrel as simply "good" or "evil". So I end up being neutral :)

I finally talked myself into picking up Defense Grid 2, since it was 70% off. Finished the campaign with all gold medals (it's sad that a Tower Defense game can have a better story than many of the games out there, though DG1 story was better than DG2) and did one Grinder round, but only got a silver medal.

It's good, but I think it's somehow missing some of the charm from Defense Grid 1. Still looking forward to any DLC/sequel, as I want to see the continuation of the story.

Edited by Vaeliorin

The achievements/trophies must be messed up in Dying Light.  On my second play through, I got an achievement for finishing all sidequests after I'd completed a quest I did the previous time through.  This on the heels of me wondering why the achievement didn't unlock when I'd finished every single quest the first time around.

Then there's the "finish all quarantine zone" achievement.  I've unlocked all safe zones, and have been to every single area that needed visiting, and I still haven't got that achievement to unlock.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I decided to try and co-op a mission in Peace Walker I was having trouble with. Got three other guys in no time from elsewhere in the world, or at least that's what their flag emblems lead me to believe.

They carl gustav fultoned the enemy like it was a game of Quake. I ended up with 84 new soldiers. They would have fultoned the other 4 but I got bored of not doing anything, so tossed out a few headshots.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I've found a small statuette of a Vault Boy in Vault 15 in Fallout, it was in the last room on the lower right side of level 2. I have absolutely no idea what use this is, or why it's there. Most intriguing, I assume it was added by Fixt, however my Google Fu brings up nothing.

Edited by Nonek

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I've been trying to get into Ultima Underworld.  I don't have time to sit and really immerse myself in the game.  The combat system is a little weird and the movement and interface are quite archaic, but I'm going to give it some time to see if it grows on me.

Obsidian Plays

I was playing Avadon 2: The Corruption as it's an excellent game (screw you, haters!). Just running around, talking to people, fighting the finite amounts of enemies and having a blast in general. Then I hit level 30 and that was it. There are still more fights to fight, but my characters can't level up no more. It's fascinating how quickly that turned the game's combat from fun to a slog. Like, what's the point? Get it over with!

I will still complete the game (I think I am close and the story is excellent), but why, oh why would you put a level cap in a game with a finite amount of fights? It just seems so.. pointless.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Playing Dying Light to finish off the quarantine zones.  The idiot that I am, I didn't even notice them my first time through.  No wonder I didn't get credit for that achievement.  D'oh!

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Playing Dying Light to finish off the quarantine zones.  The idiot that I am, I didn't even notice them my first time through.  No wonder I didn't get credit for that achievement.  D'oh!

They put out a patch today that adds some outfits, some weapons (though I've yet to see any new ones yet), improves the textures on some items, and (this may just be placebo effect) the parkour feels a little bit smoother and more Mirror's Edge like.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

They put out a patch today that adds some outfits, some weapons (though I've yet to see any new ones yet), improves the textures on some items, and (this may just be placebo effect) the parkour feels a little bit smoother and more Mirror's Edge like.

It fixed the issue I was having about not being able to level up my survivor skill from level 24 to level 25.  Prior to the patch, I was stuck with needing 1000 survivor points to level up, but nothing I did gained (or lost) me survivor points.

I think I've come across some of the weapons.  I haven't noticed anything other than they've given existing weapons personalized names.  Like a sickle will now be called "Darkness", but I haven't seen a benefit to it in terms of its stats.

I beat Wasteland 2 the other day. STEAM says 90 hours played but the run that I completed probably took 75 hours. I restarted once when I realized that the skill points and attributes I had distributed to my characters wouldn't work in the long run. I did that at after having played for five hours. I also idled for about 10 hours.

Overall, I thought the game was decent. I don't regret backing the game at all, even if there were things about the game that I didn't like. The combat is serviceable but mostly, it was about killing the enemies as fast as possible before they would charge you. That's basically every encounter in a nutshell. Different weapons were good in different situations, so that's a plus. The fact that you could split up your characters and attack the enemies from both sides was also good.

Attribute distribution felt like it didn't matter that much after you had created your characters. I just pumped one until I got more action points. Skill point distribution, I have no problem with. What bothered me about the skills was the fact that when you use one, it takes forever to tell me if I am going to succeed or not. I hated that. Just tell me directly if I failed or not. That padded the game length quite a bit, I think. When you realize you failed to open a lock with a 91% chance after ten seconds, that kind of pisses you off.

I liked the questing in Arizona more than the questing in Los Angeles, but I liked the writing more in the second part. Los Angeles just didn't feel as fun even if it was a bit more open ended. The progression in Arizona felt a bit more linear. The story in general and the writing were mid tier in my opinion. It can't compare to games like Fallout 1, 2 or New Vegas. It's better than Bethesda and BioWare writing, but that is probably not saying much. Comparison to a newer game would be Divinity: Original Sin. It has better writing than that, but gameplay is not up to par. I don't know how much choices and consequences matter and I honestly won't find out because I don't see myself replaying the game anytime soon.

The voice acting was cheesy but in a good way in my opinion. I liked it. The soundtrack is good, but it felt like there weren't many tracks. One annoying thing about the audio was the sounds enemies made. Wtf was that about?

I hope inXile got some good experience working on Wasteland 2 and that we see improvements for Torment.

Cities Skylines, is quite fun.  Don't know why they thought a fake Twitter was a good idea though.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Just finished the "Pit" boss fight in Dying Light for the second time, this time in my New Game+ play through.  Much easier this time, not only because I knew exactly what to do, but because my character's health is a lot higher and because I have other abilities unlocked that I didn't the first time.

Still a really crappy boss fight, though.

Trying to play Hotline Miami 2, but it's kind of stressful. So I keep going back to Peace Walker completionism. I heard the rocket launcher pistol is good for the troops in outer ops!

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."