What you having for dinner tonight?

Tale

its fat tuesday, so we is making something that makes us think o' new orleans: monkfish gumbo.

however, we dislike okra, so *add shame-faced emoticon here* we is gonna use filé powder instead o' traditional okra.  also, we do not have any fish stock on hand, so am gonna use vegetable stock and punch it up a bit. also, even though this is Gromnir's own recipe, and our recipe calls for 3 bay leaves, we always add 4.  

so, am guessing we ain't so much making monkfish gumbo as we is making a thickened monkfish soup. is easier to say monkfish gumbo.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Bar & Grill place, phone order:

Me: "I'd like the NY Steak sandwich."

Them: "That's not on the menu anymore, we have a ribeye with italian/pesto rub/spices etc. instead..."

Me: *doesn't want to stare at the menu again* ... "...ok, fine, I'll try that."

...never know, could be awesome.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I don't feel like making a separate thread for this so I'll just put it here.  We have some Brits on the forums, so I'm asking said Brits, transplanted or still in the UK, give me some crisps suggestions.  I'm thinking about importing some across the ocean to try some out. I'm tired of the chips we have here in the US, I'd like to try something a bit different.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I saw an ad for a potato and bacon pizza. Now, I'm not normally into what I'd call non-(US)traditional pizzas, but for some reason, that sounded good. I may have to try one someday.

But today isn't that day, so I had taco-truck tacos instead. Later I may cook up some teriyaki-marinated meat sandwiches.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I saw an ad for a potato and bacon pizza. Now, I'm not normally into what I'd call non-(US)traditional pizzas, but for some reason, that sounded good. I may have to try one someday.

But today isn't that day, so I had taco-truck tacos instead. Later I may cook up some teriyaki-marinated meat sandwiches.

Bacon & potato pizzas are quite commonplace, at least where I live.  They are insanely delicious, but they are massive calorie bombs, even more so than pizza in general.  Even better is bacon, potato, and chicken.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

^ I assume it's a not-red sauce?

Potato on pizza isn't common around here...by "here" I mean far out of San Fran. Might be everywhere in SF for all I know. ;)

I think Amici's has a version of it, but that's not where I saw it. Around here chicken+seafood+spinach or other vegies and feta/ricotta seems the main things on the 'artisan" pizzas, really.

^ I assume it's a not-red sauce?

Potato on pizza isn't common around here...by "here" I mean far out of San Fran. Might be everywhere in SF for all I know. ;)

I think Amici's has a version of it, but that's not where I saw it. Around here chicken+seafood+spinach or other vegies and feta/ricotta seems the main things on the 'artisan" pizzas, really.

I'm confused by the San Francisco comment.  Unless you think I live in San Fran, which I don't, I live on the opposite coast, then that's a weird non sequitur.

It's usually a white sauce with potato & bacon pizza in my experiences.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

^^ Sorry for any confusion. It's one of those auto-habits, from my experiences of how often others think "BayArea" = San Francisco. 35 minute drive away but I really know nothing about SF, except that sometimes what's common there isn't common here.  ;)

Pizza in general is fairly lacking in the Bay Area.

I'm pretty happy with Zachary's. It's Chicago style, but I like it.

• Like 1

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

I've had some pretty good casserole pizzas, I'm not going to lie, but my favorite is the New York style. Lucky for me we have some pretty good options here in Denver

EDIT: and to destroy any credibility that I probably never had, I actually liked Round Table Pizza the last time I was in the Bay Area. But in my defense it was my favorite pizza as kid (but they also went out of business in my hometown when I was a kid) so I have a soft spot for it 

Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21

EDIT: and to destroy any credibility that I probably never had, I actually liked Round Table Pizza the last time I was in the Bay Area. But in my defense it was my favorite pizza as kid (but they also went out of business in my hometown when I was a kid) so I have a soft spot for it

Round Table was a fair bit better 30 years ago, too. I still consider it one of the better "chains"...rather have it than Pizza Hut/Mountain Mikes, by far. Most better pizza I've had are at Italian restaurant combos. Although I did like Windy City's thick pies (I think they might be gone now tho).

So David changed their BBQ sunflower seed taste and now it's more similar to the inferior Frito Lay BBQ sunflower seed. I'm almost upset enough about this to write my congressman. It's bad enough that none of the stores around here carry the nacho flavored seeds so I don't even have a good fallback for when I want some good flavored seeds. 

• Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

I made extra dough from Tuesday so I could make something easy to eat on my hike today. So, last night I rolled it out, put mozzarella cheese and pepperoni on it, and rolled it up and baked it. It's in my backpack for when I decide to stop and eat.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Lady GD is at work and I just got home from a 4 hour drive. As hungry as I am the only thing I have energy enough to make is a microwave hotdog with a lowball glass of bourbon to wash the taste away. Maybe 3 glasses.

• Like 3

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Chicken breasts in a mushroom cream sauce.  Roasted cauliflower.  Rice. 

Aesthetically, a bit too all-white.  But the other veggies in the store didn't look too great, and the cream sauce was the wife's preference.  (I told her I could make either that or a red wine sauce and went with her choice.) 

Now I may follow GD's lead on that whiskey.  (Although mine is rye.)

Scotch Enoch. Lawyers drink scotch. You don't want to get in trouble do you? :lol:

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Boozehound bastards!  I felt unusually beat up after my hike today and even cut out a bit of my workout at the gym.  So, instead of making what I'd planned for myself and the Cantess, I used the last of the pizza dough to make a Zucchini, mushroom, and pepperoni pizza.  I've toyed around with different things, but I think for the time investment high gluten bread with an approximately one hour rise is perfectly good unless you want to go fancy.  I'm sautéing the leftover zucchini with yellow squash, garlic, and pepper for a side dish.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!