What you having for dinner tonight?

Tale

Scotch Enoch. Lawyers drink scotch. You don't want to get in trouble do you? :lol:

Maybe them fancy private-sector attorneys.  Me, I'm just a humble public servant-- a patriotic American drinking a spirit of a type that was distilled by George Washington('s slaves) himself! 

(The Scotch in the cabinet is more of a special occasion thing.  For "just a normal Thursday" drinkin', the rye works fine.  I prefer its spiciness to the sweetness of the bourbons that I could get at a similar price point.)

• Like 1

I made brussels sprouts with balsamic vinegar and crumbled bacon for my wife and half a sandwich for myself

we got a roasted brussels sprout recipe that we only serve once per year.  poured over the roasted sprouts is a cream-based sauce that requires gorgonzola cheese, shallots, crushed pecan fragments, browned butter, fresh squeezed lemon juice (lemon zest optional) and a significant amount o' heavy cream.  ten minutes after introducing the sauce to the sprouts, the vegetable matter becomes a soggy and unpalatable mess, and there is no way in hell to refrigerate roasted sprouts or the sauce.  additionally, while we s'pose that roasted sprouts has health benefits, our recipe is admittedly a side-dish sized coronary event.

no more than once in a year.  

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I like my Brussels Sprouts simple.  Half 'em; sear 'em cut side down in a pan with a little oil; toss; add a little garlic and a good slug of whatever beer you have open (beef stock also works); lid the pan to let them steam until fork-tender; take the lid off and cook off excess beer; salt, pepper, and a little butter to finish. 

Cleaning and prepping the sprouts takes some time, but it still works out to a reasonable weeknight side dish. 

Edited by Enoch
  • Like 1

I smoking a turkey tomorrow. I made a brine wash for it tonight. It's in a bag in the fridge.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I don't like smoking poultry as much, but I never make turkey now without a brining solution.  Alas, Friday in lent.  I'm reading for the Stations of the cross tonight for church and then I'll be eating some sort of veggie delivery pizza or whatever my wife orders for when I get home.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Going out for my wife's birthday party to a place called Acorn.

I hope it's good

gonna order the t-bone for yourself?

based on nothing save the brief written descriptions, am admitting we would go with the braised belly bacon and the the grilled bone marrow... and either the shwarma or the beef tartare.  let the wife choose the healthy stuff... or not.

have fun.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Corn Chowder (made in the crock pot all day today) and grilled cheese.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Tomorrow, I will be smoking a corned beef brisket for several hours throughout the day. ...And I don't have an electric/gas smoker. I use coals on a cranked bed and put in my own wood chunks at my own timed intervals. I will also make pickled cabbage, roast carrots and potatoes, peas, and gravy. In addition, I'll pick up a decent bottle of port or sherry. ...And, while I'm at it, I'll pick up some sort of microbrew or some such. Maybe hard cider.

• Like 1

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Tomorrow, I will be smoking a corned beef brisket for several hours throughout the day. ...And I don't have an electric/gas smoker. I use coals on a cranked bed and put in my own wood chunks at my own timed intervals. I will also make pickled cabbage, roast carrots and potatoes, peas, and gravy. In addition, I'll pick up a decent bottle of port or sherry. ...And, while I'm at it, I'll pick up some sort of microbrew or some such. Maybe hard cider.

Sounds good and tasty, how long does a brisket last you once its cooked ?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

They're highly salted, so I'm assuming between smoking and salt, a good long time. On principle, I don't keep cooked meat over a few days out of an abundance of caution. I do, however, often make meals and then freeze half or more of them for later consumption.

Obsidian Plays

They're highly salted, so I'm assuming between smoking and salt, a good long time. On principle, I don't keep cooked meat over a few days out of an abundance of caution. I do, however, often make meals and then freeze half or more of them for later consumption.

That's what I was thinking, you could freeze what is left over for later

We often have braai's\barbeque in South Africa and there is always meat left over which you inherit if the event is at your house. I have eaten leftover braai meat 3 days after cooking it and it was fine. But I won't go longer than that which I probably could but I choose not to :)

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I went to one of my lady friends for dinner last night, she did hamburgers with spicy potato wedges. Very nice..yummy actually 

John Milton 

I mentioned that my best friend is immigrating to Australia so last night we went  to one of Johannesburg's most exclusive restaurants called Five Hundred at a 5 star hotel and conference center called the Saxon, it  was amazing. Check this place out

http://www.saxon.co.za/#TheSaxonHotel

We had a 6 course meal with wine pairing so we had a different bottle of wine with each course. We had lobster, skank ( a fish) , pork belly, veal, a cheese desert and the two deserts. Each meal was also a theme. So for example the skank fish was part of seaside recreation that included mussel custard and edible sea sand..as I said the food was incredible. The head chef is one of South Africa's most talented celebrity chefs and he didn't disappoint

Halfway through the evening the wine sommelier came to our table and said if we could guess the country and year of production of the wine we would win a bottle of Champagne..this is obviously very hard considering what a global export wine is. Anyway one of my friends g-friends lived in Greece for 10 years and she said it tasted like a Spanish wine and it was probably a 2010. It was also her birthday that night so we went with her guess..and she was right  :dancing:

She won a $500 bottle of Champagne. Only one other person in the 3 year history of that competition has got that one right 

• Like 4

John Milton 

Truly awesome, VeeCee! lol I wish I would have been there. I ate a later lunch with my inlaws and then the wife wanted pancakes for dinner. *Pancakes!* So I made pancakes, quesedillas, and eggs for dinner. Breakfast for dinner for the win.

Obsidian Plays