350 members have voted

1. 1. Which one will you choose? (digital)

• GoG
    • Steam
    • other

Simply put, legally:

- With GoG: the game belongs to you

- With Steam: the game doesn't belong to you, you just own the right to use it

There, I go for GoG of course..

Actually, legally, there's no difference. Either way, all you really have is a piece of paper saying you may use the software.

Now, functionally, you are entirely correct, and honestly, that's all that really matters. Sometimes, I just can't wait for Valve/Steam to bite it (however unlikely at the moment) just so I can drink the delicious tears of everyone that bought into the DRM scheme like willing little slaves. This poll illustrates the failure of democracy.

• Like 8

t50aJUd.jpg

Check your profile in the Pillars of Eternity backer portal to get info of what rewards you will be getting. I'm getting 6 or 7 copies of the game. I can't even remember. Seeing your badge, I think you'll get a fair amount of copies, too.

I keep forgetting about that backer portal site. blush10.gif

Does this mean, if I get lots of copies, that I can give some away? Or are they all tied to me. I have no idea what I'd need more than a couple copies for, myself.

Steam has an option for backing up indvidual games which compresses everything into a nice restore package. Manually copying off the directory works too, but adding things back can get a bit messy if you don't use the official tool.

I tried that once...there was some reason I didn't like it, but I can't recall what it was now.

You can give copies away. I will be giving one copy to my brother and one to my cousin. I will see what I will do with the other ones.

Simply put, legally:

- With GoG: the game belongs to you

- With Steam: the game doesn't belong to you, you just own the right to use it

There, I go for GoG of course..

Actually, legally, there's no difference. Either way, all you really have is a piece of paper saying you may use the software.

Now, functionally, you are entirely correct, and honestly, that's all that really matters. Sometimes, I just can't wait for Valve/Steam to bite it (however unlikely at the moment) just so I can drink the delicious tears of everyone that bought into the DRM scheme like willing little slaves. This poll illustrates the failure of democracy.

Just wanted to +1 this. Both sites sell you a license to use the game, there is no legal difference.

If you truly want to own a game, play freeware or open source games, like MegaMek, Battle for Wesnoth (excellent strategy game), roguelikes like ADOM (Ancient Domains of Mystery), remakes like FreeCiv or OpenTTD (Transport Tycoon Deluxe).

• Like 3

The Seven Blunders/Roots of Violence: Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character. Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle. (Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi)

Let's Play the Pools Saga (SSI Gold Box Classics)

Pillows of Enamored Warfare -- The Zen of Nodding

Just wanted to +1 this. Both sites sell you a license to use the game, there is no legal difference.

If you truly want to own a game, play freeware or open source games, like MegaMek, Battle for Wesnoth (excellent strategy game), roguelikes like ADOM (Ancient Domains of Mystery), remakes like FreeCiv or OpenTTD (Transport Tycoon Deluxe).

Didn't know any of those. Thanks :thumbsup:

i got the 2 copies tier so i will get 1 on each. if i hd to choose 1, it would be steam... far too convenient and for me that DRM barely counts as such

also i blame ubisoft for the DRM hate. DRM in various forms was there since almost forever. ubisoft started the fashion of using super intrusive (trojan-like) DRM and now even my grandma hates it without even knowing what it is.

• Like 1

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

Well, back when I backed I would have gotten the GOG edition... but now I fully go Steam with it.

That's the impact of time...

• Like 1

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Well, back when I backed I would have gotten the GOG edition... but now I fully go Steam with it.

That's the impact of time...

I can relate, although for me it's been a little longer. My waning gaming interest in general may have something to do with it...less concerned about some stuff, so I put up with more stuff.

I still don't love Steam, but they can be terribly convienent. I just see them as ... not as terrible as they used to be. The DRM/their method of such never really bothered me too much, it's other things.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

If you play nothing but mouse/KB-driven games and old titles, GOG is great. If you play a lot of different games, Steam is the better/only option. A PC hooked up to your TV with a controller is a great alternative to pathetically underpowered consoles for big budget releases, platformers, etc. Big Picture actually makes that a good experience.

Two things.

1: You can still use GoG and Steam but use GoG for when the game is on both.  You know like for Witcher 3, Legend of Grimrock 2, and all those other old ancient games GoG has.

2: Big picture is ass and I have no clue how you can possibly think it is better than the default UI.  Yes it works better on a controller but you know I can always just switch to the controller AFTER I launch the game.  The normal interface is far faster to navigate and much easier to use, you just don't use a controller for it.

• Like 2

If you play nothing but mouse/KB-driven games and old titles, GOG is great. If you play a lot of different games, Steam is the better/only option. A PC hooked up to your TV with a controller is a great alternative to pathetically underpowered consoles for big budget releases, platformers, etc. Big Picture actually makes that a good experience.

Two things.

1: You can still use GoG and Steam but use GoG for when the game is on both.  You know like for Witcher 3, Legend of Grimrock 2, and all those other old ancient games GoG has.

2: Big picture is ass and I have no clue how you can possibly think it is better than the default UI.  Yes it works better on a controller but you know I can always just switch to the controller AFTER I launch the game.  The normal interface is far faster to navigate and much easier to use, you just don't use a controller for it.

Eh? I suspect you're doing it wrong.

You know Big Picture is meant to be used with a TV you're sitting 6-10 feet away from, yeah? You prefer using the KB/mouse and the default interface on your couch?

• Like 3

You know Big Picture is meant to be used with a TV you're sitting 6-10 feet away from, yeah? You prefer using the KB/mouse and the default interface on your couch?

Wireless keyboards and mice exist.  Also yes, I use a tv as my monitor.  Have for a very long time.

Wireless keyboards and mice exist.  Also yes, I use a tv as my monitor.  Have for a very long time.

I don't think you get the scenario.

My Setup...

Two PCs.

System A: Current/beefy. At a desk with a pair of monitors. Used for games which work best with mouse/KB.

System B: Built almost entirely from hand-me-down parts, but still good enough to handle most games at 1080p (or 720p in a pinch).

A and B are not in the same room. B is connected to a TV/stereo via HDMI.

Now, I like plopping my ass on the couch and playing big-budget AAA nonsense on occasion, but I loathe consoles. What to do? Enter Steam Big Picture. With my cheaply-built secondary gaming system I have a PC that essentially works like a console without the compromises. Install Steam and set it to launch in Big Picture mode on boot. With an Xbox 360 controller and a wireless dongle, I now have a PC that can be comfortably controlled from a reclined position 10 feet away without the need for an awkward wireless keyboard/mouse setup.

Big Picture is exceptionally well-designed for this. Bonus: with cloud saves, I can easily move between the desk and TV PCs without manually shuffling saves over the LAN.

So... am I going to let an obsession with DRM override my interest in a good gaming experience? Nah. probably not.

• Like 1

So... am I going to let an obsession with DRM override my interest in a good gaming experience? Nah. probably not.

If outputting to TV is a requirement for you to have a good gaming experience, more power to you. I'm happy with my 24" LCD otherwise, and many others will be happy with less (particularly in more mobile environments). That's hardly a fair piece of advice for the OP the consider, though--an indecisive OP using a popularity poll to make a distribution platform decision, lol.

(Can't GOG games be put into the Steam library anyway?) And I don't see how Pillars will be controller friendly even with the fancy Steam layer.

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

(Can't GOG games be put into the Steam library anyway?) And I don't see how Pillars will be controller friendly even with the fancy Steam layer.

As threads often do, we've strayed from the original question.

Did you actually read the post you're quoting? I won't be playing PoE with a controller.

• Like 1

No wonder GOG is pushing galaxy. Automatic patching is really 99% of what people care about. I wonder how long it will take for people to notice once it's out - and what will be the reason then for still preferring Steam over GOG. :D

Edited by huang

If GOG can merge the ease of use and convenience of steam with what they already have, then I'm all for it.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

No wonder GOG is pushing galaxy. Automatic patching is really 99% of what people care about. I wonder how long it will take for people to notice once it's out - and what will be the reason then for still preferring Steam over GOG. :D

Gah...first time I'm hearing about this. Me no like. But...at least I think it's optional, like their downloader (which I don't use). So I guess...I won't use it.

On further thought....this implies a direction for GoG that I really don't like. More and more they seem to be moving away from their original premises. Not always a bad thing mind but...we shall see.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Gah...first time I'm hearing about this. Me no like. But...at least I think it's optional, like their downloader (which I don't use). So I guess...I won't use it.

On further thought....this implies a direction for GoG that I really don't like. More and more they seem to be moving away from their original premises. Not always a bad thing mind but...we shall see.

I'm not sure if I follow your reasoning?

This is their pitch: http://www.gog.com/galaxy

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

I'm not sure if I follow your reasoning?

This is their pitch: http://www.gog.com/galaxy

What is your question? Why I don't like galaxy concept?

...one thing I really dislike re: Steam is ... auto patching. Must have patch before you can play it again (if you go online and game detects it needs a patch). Yes I know galaxy is optional, which is why at the moment it's a tolerable concept - assuming it stays optional. I tend to find such stuff often doesn't, in the long run. I also don't care about a client organizing my games for me, achievements, or whatever else. Or having a client at all.

But GoG is trying to expand and grow, and is discovering that it may be difficult without changing their style as well. What direction this will take them in is anyone's guess. It often, to my personal way of thinking, doesn't end up very well.

• Like 3