350 members have voted

1. 1. Which one will you choose? (digital)

• GoG
    • Steam
    • other

I'm not sure if I follow your reasoning?

This is their pitch: http://www.gog.com/galaxy

What is your question? Why I don't like galaxy concept?

...one thing I really dislike re: Steam is ... auto patching. Must have patch before you can play it again (if you go online and game detects it needs a patch). Yes I know galaxy is optional, which is why at the moment it's a tolerable concept - assuming it stays optional. I tend to find such stuff often doesn't, in the long run. I also don't care about a client organizing my games for me, achievements, or whatever else. Or having a client at all.

But GoG is trying to expand and grow, and is discovering that it may be difficult without changing their style as well. What direction this will take them in is anyone's guess. It often, to my personal way of thinking, doesn't end up very well.

Gotcha.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

I will go with steam : yes on GoG you don't have those DRM stuff and what you buy is what you get, but since for me it's a lot more convenient to have all my games centralized in a same place with all automatic patch downloads... let's go steam :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

GoG without question. There is literally no reason for me to go with steam. I do not need auto patching as I have no problems or issues installing a patch myself. Even if I have to wait an extra day to get the patch because sometimes patches get released through steam a little faster, I am more than fine with it. 

Seriously, downloading and installing a patch manually takes like an extra minute or two compared to having auto patch, so I don't see the big deal about it.

• Like 2

Gog, Steam would be more convenient though.

Unless it so happens the next automatically installed patch isn't save compatible and everything breaks.

Anyways, most my game discussions are on gog forums, a good place I want to support.

Good Old Games !! DRM-free !!! Death to the Empire !

• Like 2

Matilda is a Natlan woman born and raised in Old Vailia. She managed to earn status as a mercenary for being a professional who gets the job done, more so when the job involves putting her excellent fighting abilities to good use.

Now that I think about It, PoE will most likely to have Steam Workshop. Modders are easly patching their mods. My mind is now set

Kana - "Sorry. It seems I'm not very good at raising spirits." Kana winces. "That was unintentional."

Now that I think about It, PoE will most likely to have Steam Workshop. Modders are easly patching their mods. My mind is now set

PoE is going to have it's own Nexus site. Setting up a Steam Workshop would be incredibly counterproductive, so I wouldn't count on it.

t50aJUd.jpg

GoG without question. There is literally no reason for me to go with steam. I do not need auto patching as I have no problems or issues installing a patch myself. Even if I have to wait an extra day to get the patch because sometimes patches get released through steam a little faster, I am more than fine with it. 

Seriously, downloading and installing a patch manually takes like an extra minute or two compared to having auto patch, so I don't see the big deal about it.

The "big deal" is knowing a patch exists. I've probably got a few hundred PC games in total. Even if I were to set up an RSS reader dedicated to following the patch notes forums of all the games (which would be an insane amount of work and even the upkeep would be killer) It'd still take me crazy amounts of time to keep everything updated.

Steam also offers:

-one-login downloads (for other games as well as PoE)

-file corruption checking (for when mods go awry)

• Like 3

Steam takes 30% of the gross sales from the game companies that make the game... That's more than Sony and Microsoft take from companies releasing game on the consoles Sony and Microsoft make. Why the hell should valve get such a ridiculously high % for doing very little?

Yes they help drive sales for game companies... But 30% is just atrocious. I cannot support their company as long as they do that.

Steam takes 30% of the gross sales from the game companies that make the game... That's more than Sony and Microsoft take from companies releasing game on the consoles Sony and Microsoft make. Why the hell should valve get such a ridiculously high % for doing very little?

Yes they help drive sales for game companies... But 30% is just atrocious. I cannot support their company as long as they do that.

Isn't 30% fairly standard for digital distribution storefronts? I think that's the same cut Apple's app store takes. Does GOG take less?

Edit: The Humble Store only takes a 25% cut, which seems to be the best deal for publishers/developers out there. Short of buying directly from the developer, that is.

Edited by Litany

if ur seriously consider buying games. You want go with GoG since you can get refunds. Steam doesn't give refunds unless their is a fault with the game. If you want to take a risk and want steam achievements go with steam. You can totally get robbed in 2015 and pay 60 bucks for a game like dying light and have the game run like crap because you have a AMD card and the developer choose to do a secret deal with nvidia.

Edited by Failion
  • Like 1

Steam, just because I'm lazy (slacker backer very much appropriate tyvm). I wish the concept of DRM would just die off already, 

DRM will never die if people keep throwing money at it. Never.

There are multiple factors that go into the Steam v. Gog decision but, understand what you are doing when you pay for a DRM version of a game. You are saying, in the only language that companies understand, that DRM is just fine.

Wishing doesn't make DRM go away. Refusing to to pay for DRM games makes DRM go away.

• Like 1

To derail the thread further.

To say DRM is about fighting piracy, that it's futile, is missing what it's all about.

DRM isn't about piracy, it's about clamping down on used games trade, and it's highly successful.

Register a game, as you must to play, and it's tied to you by chains of pure drm.

Game shops are dying left and right, a good deal of business of which publishers didn't get a cut is soon history.

In this respect, gog is just about as bad as Steam. Though in case gog, kids, filthy little thieves as they are,

can just slip the installer into an USB stick and share the fun with friends. Which scares the hell out of many a company man.

Aannd.. I don't know, might be a percentage that will share with friends, that wouldn't just grab a torrent. Dunno.

Anyhoo. Gog.

Edited by Jarmo

GOG for me. Although I use Steam, I don't like DRM (yes, I know Steam isn't inherently DRM, let's not get into that discussion) and won't tie a game to a particular client if a DRM-free option exists (I also have a strict policy of only buying games that are tied to clients when they're on a deep, deep discount: tie your game to a client and you severely devalue the game in my eyes).

So yeah, GOG will always be my first choice over Steam.

*edit* Oh yeah, one of my rigs on which I play games is not connected to the internet. So Steam means I can't play them on that rig. A further reason to go with GOG.

Edited by Ink Blot
  • Like 1

GoG all the way.

On the auto patching issue, you can turn off auto patching in Steam. Doesn't prevent one from playing the game. As GoG is mod friendly and DRM free, I think they'll be lenient with the auto patching options. Lets wait and see what they do.