Journalism and sexism in the games industry

Gorth

If a female scientist wore a dress with images of a male character in sexy poses would anyone react differently if she would've received similar treatment to Dr. Taylor?

If the answer is yes, you're a sexist. The most harm this shirt could do is assault the fashion sense of a vanilla person. If someone feels that a tacky shirt is keeping them out of STEM(and not the intense course work and study) then they probably won't be able to handle a job where they regularly interact with people.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

I agree. Pakman being attacked because he is actually being and "investigative" JOURNALIST is pretty terrifying and disgusting. Just because the feminists want to just spread a single message doesn't mean a person actually asking questions is harassing.

Just so we are clear, claiming someone asking questions is harassing people with no proof isn't harassment in and of itself. However asking questions is harassment. :/

Dude, one of the Mojos attacked him SIMPLY FOR TRYING TO SET UP AN INTERVIEW. 5 tweet messages were harassement to her.

In other news, SJW's abusing the Twitter WAM system:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B2fQw_LCIAAtLSI.jpg

B.t.w. - Bruce, should anyone wearing this also be shamed and attacked?

B2bbUfRCIAAHUu8.jpg

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!

Until further information is revealed, I'm going to give the CBC the benefit of the doubt and think of this as a simple case of a news organization running a sensationalist clickbait type piece (not sure if "clickbait" applies to television, but you know what I mean) and just rushing it out the door with minimal effort and no fact checking.  That, of course, still reflects poorly on them as it shows a complete lack of professionalism, because doing actual journalistic investigative work would require time and effort and who does that any more when they can just blindly run something someone handed them?  Of course, given the guilt by neutrality stance of the SJWs and the ferocity with which they attack anyone not just opposed to them but even those that are simply questioning, trying to do their due diligence as a journalist, or even mostly agreeing with them but being more moderate and reasonable about it and not spewing hate hard enough, it's understandable how this could be viewed as something more sinister.

I heard that they had a interview with a pro-GG female game dev, but they decided not to run it.

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!

*Peeks back, decides to not waste his time reading ALL TEH PAGEZ*

Could anybody tell me what does a scientist's choice of attire have to do with Ethics In Gaming JournalismTM?

Edited by aluminiumtrioxid

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

The guy that attacked the shirt guy worked at Polygon and was on the GameJournePro-list before this.

It's the same arguments as being used against GG, basically. 

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Until further information is revealed, I'm going to give the CBC the benefit of the doubt and think of this as a simple case of a news organization running a sensationalist clickbait type piece (not sure if "clickbait" applies to television, but you know what I mean) and just rushing it out the door with minimal effort and no fact checking.  That, of course, still reflects poorly on them as it shows a complete lack of professionalism, because doing actual journalistic investigative work would require time and effort and who does that any more when they can just blindly run something someone handed them?  Of course, given the guilt by neutrality stance of the SJWs and the ferocity with which they attack anyone not just opposed to them but even those that are simply questioning, trying to do their due diligence as a journalist, or even mostly agreeing with them but being more moderate and reasonable about it and not spewing hate hard enough, it's understandable how this could be viewed as something more sinister.

I heard that they had a interview with a pro-GG female game dev, but they decided not to run it.

They did, her name is Jennifer Daww.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

He was bullied into apologizing, since he's obviously not used to being under that sort of hate fueled pressure. The poor man actually ended up thinking it was his fault, judging by the way he broke down. 

They just chose the opportunity to tear him down, and considering that it started from his colleagues, there was probably no small amount of jealousy (over his involvement in the project) in play.

And what if he wanted to apologize? Is that just not possible, he could have realised he made a lapse of judgement wearing that shirt and on further reflection decided that an apology was the best option

That's what people do in RL, not every thing is about feminists or SJW forcing people to do things they don't want to do. Sometimes people do decide to do things on there own

Firstly, the guy's an eccentric and he should be allowed that. Secondly, we all know the double standard, a female scientist in his position wouldn't have been taken to task, and she'd likely be celebrated. Feminist hate themselves and their sex. Women can't celebrate their beauty anymore than men can.

"I really don't think comments like this are very helpful."

Actually, it is. It's a harsh but legit questions. We all know rape victims often get blamed because of what theyw ear even though it is 100% not their fault.  Clothes are irrelevant no matter the situation.

"I know, I am angry about it too. But bringing rape victims into it, even in jest, really doesn't help. I know you don't mean harm with it, but imagine one of our board members might actually have a history of being raped and they'd see your comment. It's not your intention to hurt anyone (with possible exception of Bruce) but you might still, inadvertently."

Oh, you are one of those.

TRIGGER! Disucssing this stuff in a serious matter doesn't cause harm. Calling anything uncomfortable the equivilant of rape or serious sexual assault is what causes harm.

"I just get annoyed that people want to try to diminish the heinous deed of rape in order to make a point"

L0L That's what SJWs and feminists do. They believe someone saying hi to someone walking is the equivelant of sexual assault. THAT demeans the heinous action of rape. But, you are okay with that.

"Of course others are judged on there clothing, that's the nature of society. We judge people everyday about there appearances"\

And, it's wrong. Why do you support such evil behaviour? Why do you accept harassment, bullying, intimidation, and nazish behaviour?

"I can understand why he apologized without pressure from feminists and SJW. He apologized because he wanted to, simple as that

But that doesn't mean now this is an orchestrated campaign by SJW to control mankind and have dominion and power over all. You are being completely dramatic, that's the part that I mean is not serious"

But, he didn't apologize without pressure.  This nonsense got into the mainstream news and all over the internet. He was sent harassment, and threats. This was mostc ertainly an orchestrated campaign led by evil white males.

"Find it funny that they say women will be put off entering STEM due to that shirt. Brutal coursework, exams and the work itself being hard won't faze them but some dude in an obnoxious shirt will. I guess they also expect to never work with jerks either.

Have to wonder how weak of will does the Outrage machine take women for."

\

That's what i take chuckles for. These feminists and JSWs have no respect for women. They believe women are weak, fraguile, and feel they should be treated with kid gloves. It's disgusting. I prefer treating women like the grown adults they are.

"Until further information is revealed, I'm going to give the CBC the benefit of the doubt and think of this as a simple case of a news organization running a sensationalist clickbait type piece (not sure if "clickbait" applies to television, but you know what I mean) and just rushing it out the door with minimal effort and no fact checking.  That, of course, still reflects poorly on them as it shows a complete lack of professionalism, because doing actual journalistic investigative work would require time and effort and who does that any more when they can just blindly run something someone handed them?  Of course, given the guilt by neutrality stance of the SJWs and the ferocity with which they attack anyone not just opposed to them but even those that are simply questioning, trying to do their due diligence as a journalist, or even mostly agreeing with them but being more moderate and reasonable about it and not spewing hate hard enough, it's understandable how this could be viewed as something more sinister."

The CBC is a gov't news station. Once they heard the word sexism they did the PC and attacked males. Males are vile rape monsters you know.

*goes back to living and playing games*

I'M NOT DEAD EVEN THOUGH BRUCE AND HIS COHORTS WISH I WERE!!!

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Could anybody tell me what does a scientist's choice of attire have to do with Ethics In Gaming JournalismTM?

Dude wears fap material at work in office. People tell him it's not appropriate for that office. Scumbags whine "censorship" and declare him a hero.

Same people are now calling the women (scientists and non) that objected to the shirt "****" "bitches", inviting them to kill themselves and shut up. 

Sounds familiar enough? 

Oh right, why GG is involved? Because they made themselves involved.

• Like 1

I've come to burn your kingdom down

I agree. Pakman being attacked because he is actually being and "investigative" JOURNALIST is pretty terrifying and disgusting. Just because the feminists want to just spread a single message doesn't mean a person actually asking questions is harassing.

Just so we are clear, claiming someone asking questions is harassing people with no proof isn't harassment in and of itself. However asking questions is harassment. :/

Dude, one of the Mojos attacked him SIMPLY FOR TRYING TO SET UP AN INTERVIEW. 5 tweet messages were harassement to her.

In other news, SJW's abusing the Twitter WAM system:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B2fQw_LCIAAtLSI.jpg

B.t.w. - Bruce, should anyone wearing this also be shamed and attacked?

B2bbUfRCIAAHUu8.jpg

This looks like a shirt that a gay man would wear and yes it also sends a certain message. Whether men would feel it objectifies them I can't say ?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Dude wears fap material at work in office. People tell him it's not appropriate for that office. Scumbags whine "censorship" and declare him a hero.

Same people are now calling the women (scientists and non) that objected to the shirt "****" "bitches", inviting them to kill themselves and shut up. 

Sounds familiar enough? 

Yeah that sounds about right

The GG outrage train in is full steam :lol:

I feel sorry for  Dr Taylor , clearly all he wants to do is apologize and move  on but people from  GG have made him a poster child for " how feminists and SJW force people to do things they don't want to do and this is  an example of everything wrong with those people "

Its really insulting to Dr Taylor to suggest he is isn't capable of deciding his own thoughts and making his own mind up.

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

proxy.jpg?t=HBgfaHR0cHM6Ly9pLmltZ3VyLmNv

banana.gif 

I feel sorry for  Dr Taylor , clearly all he wants to do is apologize and move but people from  GG have made him a poster child for " how feminists and SJW force people to do things they don't want to do and this is  an example of everything wrong with those people "

Its really insulting to Dr Taylor to suggest he is isn't capable of deciding his own thoughts and making his own mind up.

Ahh yes, the real issue isn't how he was attacked and brought to tears over wearing a shirt crafted by a friend, it's that some people think attacking someone over a shirt is stupid.

proxy.jpg?t=HBgfaHR0cHM6Ly9pLmltZ3VyLmNv

banana.gif 

I feel sorry for  Dr Taylor , clearly all he wants to do is apologize and move but people from  GG have made him a poster child for " how feminists and SJW force people to do things they don't want to do and this is  an example of everything wrong with those people "

Ahh yes, the real issue isn't how he was attacked and brought to tears over wearing a shirt crafted by a friend, it's that some people think attacking someone over a shirt is stupid.

KP you must realize that Dr Taylor has made a clearly  emotional decision and publically apologized, some of us agree with his motives and reasoning and some don't. But we should accept  the fact he has made this statement and we should respect this decision. Don't you think this is reasonable ?

So what I'm asking is what do you now want from this whole furore ?

John Milton 

Sounds familiar enough? 

Always interesting to see what level is operated at in this kind of thing. Amusing that people who aren't in his office would tell him that, really is none of their business. I assume his management is ok with that in his day to day work and the women present are too busy working or are not weak enough to be assaulted by a tacky shirt, else he would not have been wearing it. But naturally, some one is always offended somewhere so that caught up with it.

He already got bullied into apologizing though I suppose he didn't grovel enough for some, skimming reactions to it around places. Wasn't even aware GG was involved in this really, mostly came across this as an amusing bit of "feminists" being "outraged" on Twitter and other places you see useless slacktivists like Bruce et al operating.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Sounds familiar enough? 

Always interesting to see what level is operated at in this kind of thing. Amusing that people who aren't in his office would tell him that, really is none of their business. I assume his management is ok with that in his day to day work and the women present are too busy working or are not weak enough to be assaulted by a tacky shirt, else he would not have been wearing it. But naturally, some one is always offended somewhere so that caught up with it.

He already got bullied into apologizing though I suppose he didn't grovel enough for some, skimming reactions to it around places. Wasn't even aware GG was involved in this really, mostly came across this as an amusing bit of "feminists" being "outraged" on Twitter and other places you see useless slacktivists like Bruce et al operating.

I will say this I am surprised that before the interview no one said to him " dude, are you sure this is the right shirt you want to wear for a interview that the whole world is going to see "?

John Milton 

I'm not really, doubt any of them cared that much and were too busy working. Though I suppose they need ancillary non-technical people for these kinds of things.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

KP you must realize that Dr Taylor has made a clearly  emotional decision and publically apologized, some of us agree with his motives and reasoning and some don't. But we should accept  the fact he has made this statement and we should respect this decision. Don't you think this is reasonable ?

The man was brought to tears. Over a shirt. Made for him by a friend. On what should have been the highlight of his career.

The fact that you are ok with him being harassed and bullied says a lot about your ability to empathize.

• Like 3

Well, you see it was a white man crying. Bruce only gets it up for things outside that set. laughing.gif

Edited by Malcador

The man was brought to tears. Over a shirt. Made for him by a friend. On what should have been the highlight of his career.

The fact that you are ok with him being harassed and bullied says a lot about your ability to empathize.

Of course I emphasize with his personal emotional state? When did I ever suggest I don't care how he feels ?

So the original harassment was wrong, but once again that's not the reason why I think he apologized. He felt he didn't want to insult the women he worked with, I don't think he apologized because of the pressure from feminists and SJW. So maybe we should stop looking for reasons that don't exist because they suit the GG agenda?

There are more than enough examples of people doing things due to public pressure but this is not one of them?

John Milton 

I feel like all this Political C. **** is getting to ridiculous levels... it's just stupid... civilization grew and expanded throughout thousands of years and I feel like a lot of "civilized" world just got retarded and since there is virtually no major conflics,little poverty and generally good health conditions, people just grow picky and take a nosedive in their intellectual level and common sense level...

People try to conjure a "new" reality and refute clear biology and thousands of years of adaptation to certain environmental conditions and biological roles, just because in last 2 generations (or say 60 years) humanity made an incredible progress in medicine and communiction (in all aspects, but most importantly ease of migrations)...

Soon we will get kids taken away from their parents by governmental institutions, because biological parents are not skilled in handling little children and their politcally correct and healthy upbringing perks are not there...

If my parents were taking care of me in the same way now, like they were around 30 years ago, they would probably be in a number of re-education programs or even in jail, yet I achieved a lot and am very successful in my life... Just afraid of bulding a long relationship and creating /my/ family because all of this stupid ****... I feel like a major World War could bring some reality check to "civilized" societies and people who take offense because a dude got a colorful shirt with cartoonish woman... seriously...

Edited by Darkpriest

Of course I emphasize with his personal emotional state? When did I ever suggest I don't care how he feels ?

So the original harassment was wrong, but once again that's not the reason why I think he apologized. He felt he didn't want to insult the women he worked with, I don't think he apologized because of the pressure from feminists and SJW. So maybe we should stop looking for reasons that don't exist because they suit the GG agenda?

There are more than enough examples of people doing things due to public pressure but this is not one of them?

You don't see how going from excited over a grand achievement:

http://youtu.be/5Iv-5SOGm54

To breaking down crying:

http://youtu.be/QoPPgp4C9Ag

might have a little to do with being dogpiled?

Someone posted this on a reddit discussing Dr. Taylor, and I felt some levity is needed so I am bringing it to you all. It made me chuckle.

This is Ground Control

to Major Tom

You've really made the grade

And the papers want to know whose shirts you wear

• Like 1

You don't see how going from excited over a grand achievement:

To breaking down crying:

might have a little to do with being dogpiled?

Don't get me wrong, its obviously not nice to see a man so excited about this project, even to the point where he had a tattoo made, and then you see him visibly crying in the next video because of a shirt and the image it projected

But until we know the real reason for the apology I believe  the reason he gave

John Milton 

There is no point in trying to reason with SJW logic. BruceVC proves this. I'm sorry, but you are off the charts biased.

So lets be clear on this, you think its impossible that he felt he had offended women he works with and he wanted to set the record straight? You say this cannot be the case?

John Milton