What you did today

Rosbjerg

Totally unrelated (my specialty), but that's how I feel about pet stuff. $49 for what's essentially a piece of thick polyester fake-sheepie blanket. $17 for a tiny bag of dry cat food (that's at least a bit higher quality than CatChow/Friskies). $15-$20 for medium sized bags clumping cat litter I buy. Pshaw.

Thats one reason why I hesitate to get a dog, I only like big dogs and they EAT

Today I've been diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder, hah. I'm hardly surprised.  I'm not going to take the suggested meds though, their side effects are just insane. They may fix one thing but create five new problems in the process which require fixing too which eventually leads to a vicious circle of awfulness and pharmaceutical slavery. 

Anyway, I take comfort in the thought that many of the great inventors, artists and philosophers had that too.   :p

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

Today I've been diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder, hah. I'm hardly surprised.  I'm not going to take the suggested meds though, their side effects are just insane. They may fix one thing but create five new problems in the process which require fixing too which eventually leads to a vicious circle of awfulness and pharmaceutical slavery. 

Anyway, I take comfort in the thought that many of the great inventors, artists and philosophers had that too.   tongue.png

Side effects are why I refused MAOI anti-depressants, both as a kid and as an adult. At one time they were the common, and they still work most effectively with "atypical" and its variants. But meh...those side effects. No thanks. I've learned to live with/cope in other ways, and it's all good now. Dislike drugs in general, even OTC stuff, too. Only when I utterly have to is my motto.

Obviously not a doc, but as long as you (and your family/friends, as we're not often the best judges of ourselves) don't think you're a danger to yourself, taking meds is a personalized decision, not a must-have, imo.

But bipolar can be very bad for some. Friend of a friend had it for years and once a year or so she'd do something outrageous during an up or down period...like landing in jail or doing stuff that would break most marriages type of outrageous (her hubby was a patient/understanding saint...). It took years, but they finally found a drug combo that worked for her and she's been pretty stable since. Happy ending. original.gif

• Like 2
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I tip my hat to you for your decision to deal with this kind of problem with very little or even no use of meds.

Yeah, depending on the individuals personality and the severity of the case nasty things can happen; though I'd hesitate to only blame ones '' special mental condition'' for such behavior. I met people who used their physological problems as an excuse to be a utter a-holes and get away with it. They even openly admitted it.

I'm still pretty stable because I rule over my feelings with logical thinking, self discipline and self awareness so this would never lead me to make something stupid or even criminal, its just annoying and taxing to deal with this crap and being effective at the daily grind at the same time. Its just too much at times and I burn out.

Edited by Woldan

@Woldan - yeah, sounds pretty similar. I still have ups and downs occasionally but unlike when I was a lot younger it's manageable and usually doesn't linger. I think in my case at least, time just tends to mellow things out on its own. Could even be chemicals have shifted around as I age. Dunno. Although, the worst thing for me is still to be mentally idle for too long (staring at the wall, so to speak). Drives me nuts.

Speaking of being mentally idle, it's time for me to build more virtual castles now. :)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

The damned Tampa Bay Rays are driving me NUTS. Yes, I get that they sometimes need to trade their best players to make ends meet in the market they are in. But is it too much to ask that when you trade a valuable asset you get a valuable asset in return? Apparently the answer is yes..

Edited by Guard Dog

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

^^ Haven't checked the 49er's this year. Thanks for reminding me. Not that into football, but I do like to know where local teams stand in a season, now and then.

Thank goodness for FF addon Classic Theme Restorer. Those transparent tabs and unmovable icons etc. were driving me insane. Seems to have fixed some other minor browser/site issues I kept having as well. Goody.

I wish Siri on my phone had the wisdom of a human observer, smart enough to gauge both the right moment, and the chance of success. But that would be cheating, having someone or something tell you when. Either ask her out, or don't, there is no try. Those hips, though, are in a league I've never played. It's all I can do to feign suave banter every Wednesday, when I go there, but the right threads are making it easier. Simple ones, like the black Khan undertunic capped off a genuine you always wear the coolest shirts. Whew, man, I can't see but for the stars around my eyes.   

All Stop. On Screen.

My bosses had a private word with me today to gauge my interest for a supervisory position at the company. Since I genuinely enjoy working where I do I told them I'd take it up in a heartbeat, though they gave me the caveat that nothing was set in stone, since they had to check in with their bosses to see if payroll can manage it.

Still, I was so elated by this development that later that night I accidentally backed into somebody else's Saab in office parking lot. ;(

• Like 2
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

My bosses had a private word with me today to gauge my interest for a supervisory position at the company. Since I genuinely enjoy working where I do I told them I'd take it up in a heartbeat, though they gave me the caveat that nothing was set in stone, since they had to check in with their bosses to see if payroll can manage it.

Still, I was so elated by this development that later that night I accidentally backed into somebody else's Saab in office parking lot. ;(

Ouch, accidents are never pleasant. Do you have insurance?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

got back from hawaii just after midnight. one disadvantage to being native american is that hardly anybody comments on how dark our tan becomes after our yearly trip to hawaii. 

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Burning last vacation days of the year. Is rather fun to have a half day, something nice about leaving vastly earlier than everyone else

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Just went to to a fitness shop to buy weights.....until the shop owner told me that 1 20kg plate costs 55 bucks. And I need 12 + a new bar. So a new 240kg barbell would set me back +- 700 bucks.   :wowey:  :wowey:

And I'm not even talking about super high quality stuff. Fitness gear has become so expensive its insane, when I started with lifting all the stuff cost about half as much. 

But its still cheaper than a gym in the long run.- 

actual, is not cheaper to buy the weights "in the long run." if you can't turn a +$700 investment into a perpetual gym membership, then you do not know how to handle money. that being said, there is considerable advantages to not having to go to the gym for workouts.  as we get older, am less inclined to wanna deal with the gym scene.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

actual, is not cheaper to buy the weights "in the long run." if you can't turn a +$700 investment into a perpetual gym membership, then you do not know how to handle money.

If you doubt my calculation you probably have no idea about gyms, the fee of my nearest gym of acceptable quality is 120 bucks a year. Buying weights is definitely cheaper in the long run.

that being said, there is considerable advantages to not having to go to the gym for workouts.  as we get older, am less inclined to wanna deal with the gym scene.

The main advantage in my case is not having to drive 1 hour to the gym, I think I would not be lifting if I had to drive for 2 hours after work every single day, even in winter. That would become so annoying. 

actual, is not cheaper to buy the weights "in the long run." if you can't turn a +$700 investment into a perpetual gym membership, then you do not know how to handle money.

If you doubt my calculation you probably have no idea about gyms, the fee of my nearest gym of acceptable quality is 120 bucks a year. Buying weights is definitely cheaper in the long run.

that being said, there is considerable advantages to not having to go to the gym for workouts.  as we get older, am less inclined to wanna deal with the gym scene.

The main advantage in my case is not having to drive 1 hour to the gym, I think I would not be lifting if I had to drive for 2 hours after work every single day, even in winter. That would become so annoying. 

if you cannot turn $700 that you have today into a perpetual $120 yearly payoff, you do not know how to handle money. 

HA! Good Fun!

if you cannot turn $700 that you have today into a perpetual $120 yearly payoff, you do not know how to handle money. 

HA! Good Fun!

If you cannot see that 700 bucks only pays me 5 years of a gym membership, fuel needed to get there not included, you're pretty shortsighted? I also bought equipment to make my own ammo which cost me 1000+ bucks. It took some time till this investment started to pay off. I'm thinking about long term. Edited by Woldan

*sigh*

if you cannot get a 10% return on investment per annum, you is a complete and utter idiot.  you need us to calculate roi for $700 after ten years?  here is a clue, is not $70. is not even $700. 

you are NOT thinking long-term... you just don't realize that you ain't thinking long-term.

HA! Good Fun!

All I can say is that after 5 years it pays off, I save 120 bucks a year + a considerable amount of fuel + tons of time + wear and tear of my car for decades to come. Not to mention the fees are ever increasing.

Thats definitely good in my book.

Thats definitely good in my book.

and that is why we said you ain't thinking long-term. if you offered a gym owner with even a fraction o' monetary acumen $700 for a lifetime membership when he is charging $120 per year, he would snatch your money in a heartbeat and laugh all the way to the bank. $700 cold hard cash today is worth considerable more 5, 10 and 20 years down the road. 

oh, and since you is adding other expenses, try and have your home gym with the single bar  and 12 plates you says the $700 will provide.

this is why we can't all have nice things-- people genuine don't understand the value o' money.

HA! Good Fun!

My gym has a pool, a sauna, a ****load of training equipment, personal trainers, cardio machines and girls. Girls everywhere. Pretty girls. In yoga pants. Did I mention girls?

It costs $550 per year though, but my job pays for approximately half of that.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

But how much for the sexual harassment lawyers, that's what I want to know.

• Like 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

My gym is $120 a year and doesn't have much besides weights. It has sexy girls though, something my hypothetical home gym wouldn't have as much of.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands