Drama in indy gaming and games journalism

Gorth

So offensive words are cool as long as they are really outlandish ?

No, offensive words surely should only be offensive if they touch a nerve

How can you be offended to be compared to ISIS? ISIS is a real, brutal and militant extremist group that is chopping off peoples heads and crucifying its enemies, and that's on a good day. How can a gamer ever possibly think that describes them, that's just ludicrous. Its not offensive because its so stupid

I'm not offended, I'm just worried that ISIS will start supporting us.

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Yep, that was pretty shameful - except I was right in the middle of that (supporting Devi) and a lot of GGers did say they condemned Milo's views on transwomen. : / It's not exactly as clear cut as "all of GG hates trans women", though it's this sort of behaviour from some GGers that caused me to stop supporting GG.

I respect your honesty, its not always easy saying you don't support something that you use to. Especially if you are disappointed about the outcome caused by some people

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Not like they'd kidnap and behead SJWs. Well. Probably.

Still find the references to the hashtag being one way amusing, it's like a forum having one opinion and treated thusly.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

How can you be offended to be compared to ISIS? ISIS is a real, brutal and militant extremist group that is chopping off peoples heads and crucifying its enemies, and that's on a good day. How can a gamer ever possibly think that describes them, that's just ludicrous. Its not offensive because its so stupid

:lol:

You funny

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I'm really glad Total Biscuit came out publicly for GamerGate, he's got a lot more reach than most GamerGaters, is extremely reasonable in his views, and is tied to the community, so it gives the GamerGate moderates a bigger voice in all this. Someone for the media to focus on that isn't the arseholes spewing bile.

• Like 2
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

TotalBiscuit is a very rational person, it took a lot of dumb behaviour from anti-GG people to rouse that giant, but I watched the stream he did with Erik Kain and Janelle Bonanno (Editor-in-Chief of GameFront.com) and she was by far the most sensible person in it. I was very impressed by her. She made her pro-GamerGate points with passion and logic, which isn't something a lot of people can combine. I hadn't heard of GameFront.com but it's definitely on my read list now.

If anything, the good the thing about GG is that it's really shown me which gaming resources are worth listening to and which aren't, which is a lot better than my previous stance of "all gaming resources are worthless by default". The bad thing is that it's given people like Leigh Alexander and Milo Yiannapolis a bigger voice thanks to have an entrenched support network to fall back on. I mean honestly, nobody knew or cared who either of these two jerks were (despite Ms. Alexander's claims to the contrary) before they started stirring the controversy pot.

• Like 1

"Also the main issue with offensive words against certain minority groups is not that they are false characterisations but that the actual words used have an hurtful and malicious intent. Like words to describe  a black person or gay person. Its not the same as saying " white, male gamers are like ISIS" which is not offensive because its so irrelevant"

That's just dumb.

• Like 1

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Wait, was the guy that said that GG is worse than ISIS head of DELL?!!

I invoke Poe's Law on that guy.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Does anyone actually use Dell products? From what I can tell the general consensus is that they are pieces of ****.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

Does anyone actually use Dell products? From what I can tell the general consensus is that they are pieces of ****.

Dell owns Alienware, actually.  But I would imagine it just depends on what you buy from them.  

I have a couple year old Dell laptop.  No complaints.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Dell owns Alienware, actually.  But I would imagine it just depends on what you buy from them.  

Yep, they make overpriced pieces of **** as well as run of the mill pieces of ****.

(University I worked at used Dell, and they were OK. Apart from the laptop whose battery caught fire, motherboard warped and HD failed all within six months)

Your logic is so unbelievably hypocritical, to put it into perspective:

How can a rich succesful educated black buisnessman be offended when racists and general **** treat him like, and claim that he is, a crackaddict thug, or something akin to that, I mean how can he possibly think that describes him. There is nothing wrong with racists labeling whole groups of people horrible things, as long as the label doesn't fit.

If someone made a statement like that I'm guessing you'd go crazy, I'm guessing no one would blame you, this isn't even your logic taken to an extreme, if anything people claiming you're worse than daesh is worse than people claiming you're a crackaddict thug.

• Like 2

My monitor is a Dell, and it's very nice.  I wouldn't buy an actual PC, but at the time I bought my monitor (which was about 5 years ago) they were generally thought to be one of the better brands of monitors.  No idea if that still applies, but 5 years with no problems or dead pixels makes me pretty happy.

Your logic is so unbelievably hypocritical, to put it into perspective:

How can a rich succesful educated black buisnessman be offended when racists and general **** treat him like, and claim that he is, a crackaddict thug, or something akin to that, I mean how can he possibly think that describes him. There is nothing wrong with racists labeling whole groups of people horrible things, as long as the label doesn't fit.

If someone made a statement like that I'm guessing you'd go crazy, I'm guessing no one would blame you, this isn't even your logic taken to an extreme, if anything people claiming you're worse than daesh is worse than people claiming you're a crackaddict thug.

Nah my logic is perfectly rational

But I am confused by your analogy, I thought we have established that there are very few white, male gamers who are successful, educated, wealthy or have a job? So I don't get your point about the black businessman :blink:  (Come on, you must admit I am a little bit funny....just a little bit funny :biggrin: )

John Milton 

An "article" from Verge:

https://web.archive.org/web/20141008180124/http://www.theverge.com/2014/10/8/6919179/youre-not-a-gamer-youre-just-an-****

But I don't think anyone should read it. It's awful:

The problem for Gamergate’s "gamers" is that video games no longer exist purely to sate the gaze of galvanic young men eager to defend their sacrosanct right to beat virtual prostitutes to death as if they were righteous neck-stabbing defenders of the Alamo.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

An "article" from Verge:

https://web.archive.org/web/20141008180124/http://www.theverge.com/2014/10/8/6919179/youre-not-a-gamer-youre-just-an-****

But I don't think anyone should read it. It's awful:

The problem for Gamergate’s "gamers" is that video games no longer exist purely to sate the gaze of galvanic young men eager to defend their sacrosanct right to beat virtual prostitutes to death as if they were righteous neck-stabbing defenders of the Alamo.

Very valid article and articulates many of the concerns I have around GG

But it doesn't say everyone on GG is a militant or extremist. We know that there are many people on GG who have good intentions, but unfortunately the whole GG movement is tainted because of  some people  

The sooner it fades into obscurity the better for raising valid criticism against certain developments in the gaming industry

John Milton 

But it doesn't say everyone on GG is a militant or extremist. We know that there are many people on GG who have good intentions, but unfortunately the whole GG movement is tainted because of  some people  

The sooner it fades into obscurity the better for raising valid criticism against certain developments in the gaming industry

That never seems to have bothered feminists about feminism.
  • Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

That never seems to have bothered feminists about feminism.

That's correct of course, but we need to differentiate between radical feminists, who are equally as offensive as some people on GG, and people who care about gender equality

John Milton 

"The problem for Gamergate’s "gamers" is that video games no longer exist purely to sate the gaze of galvanic young men eager to defend their sacrosanct right to beat virtual prostitutes to death as if they were righteous neck-stabbing defenders of the Alamo."

He's an evil piece of crap like a typical Feminist SJW. The fact Bruce agrees with him proves my point. I have never gone out of my way to murder prostititutes in video games but I sure have murdered plenty of white males as well as a bunch of monsters. What an evil racist, sexist, hateful bigoted.

But, again, not surprising from a group who believes all gamers are white males who love to rape, murder, and are worse than ISIS.

R00fles!

p.s. I also like how he enjoyed attacked, belittling, insulting, bullying, and spitting in the face of a woman. LMAO

And, gamers as ahrdcore right wing conservatives. HAHAHAHHA!

The same hardcore right wing conservatives who would ban all media they disliked. Oh yeah, that also describes hardcore left wing \liberals' who are anything butt.

*goes back to playing WL2 where I have killed ZERO prostitutes but have killed MANY white men. :)*

Edited by Volourn

"The problem for Gamergate’s "gamers" is that video games no longer exist purely to sate the gaze of galvanic young men eager to defend their sacrosanct right to beat virtual prostitutes to death as if they were righteous neck-stabbing defenders of the Alamo."

He's an evil piece of crap like a typical Feminist SJW. The fact Bruce agrees with him proves my point. I have never gone out of my way to murder prostititutes in video games but I sure have murdered plenty of white males as well as a bunch of monsters. What an evil racist, sexist, hateful bigoted.

But, again, not surprising from a group who believes all gamers are white males who love to rape, murder, and are worse than ISIS.

R00fles!

Volo, I find myself disappointed again by your post

But I won't give up on you, I'll keep trying to make you understand that the definition of a feminist is not a hater of men

John Milton 

"Gamers are dead because we're all gamers now."

This is why the Brcues of the world cna't be taken seriously. This comes directly from the 'awesome' article. If gamers are dead it emans nobody can be gamers because if you are a gamer you are dead. LMAO

"I'll keep trying to make you understand that the definition of a feminist is not a hater of men"

The definition of feminism is hater of men AND women.