Drama in indy gaming and games journalism

Gorth

Except miners, truck drivers, and cosntruction workers (depending where) actually get pretty good pay. L0L

But, hey, another one of Bruce's buddies.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

This is why the Brcues of the world cna't be taken seriously.

Careful dude. I bluntly told him I thought no one here takes him seriously one day and I'm pretty sure he's blocked me for it, as he hasn't acknowledged a post I've made since. Wouldn't that be just awful if you got blocked???

XxnlkIr.jpg

1) That's ****ed up.

2) Is she new at this...? I'm pretty sure I've heard nothing good about the game development industry. Every single kid that grows up with no clue what to do with their life while also enjoying video games in their free time basically decides to become a game developer. The result is an absolutely packed industry where they often get worked to death and know damned well they need to keep up or there's about 20 people ready and in line to take their job. Ever see a tour of a game developer HQ and thought it looked pretty sweet cause they had a nice cafeteria, all sorts of video games and other stuff all at their workplace? Yeah...those are there because there are certain periods in a development cycle where they likely won't get to go home.

I mean this is on par with if we complained there's not enough male nurses. What do I personally care and why would I insist a gender work a notoriously horrible job?

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

Yes, you heard me correctly. Feminism - at least the portion that supports that quote - is literally attacking....facts.

Oh please, let's not act like we're not attacking a group as a whole here, Long. This post is completely transparent. 

So this thread has just devolved into a circle jerk about how dumb feminists are. 

Okay.

Careful dude. I bluntly told him I thought no one here takes him seriously one day and I'm pretty sure he's blocked me for it, as he hasn't acknowledged a post I've made since. Wouldn't that be just awful if you got blocked???

XxnlkIr.jpg

1) That's ****ed up.

2) Is she new at this...? I'm pretty sure I've heard nothing good about the game development industry. Every single kid that grows up with no clue what to do with their life while also enjoying video games in their free time basically decides to become a game developer. The result is an absolutely packed industry where they often get worked to death and know damned well they need to keep up or there's about 20 people ready and in line to take their job. Ever see a tour of a game developer HQ and thought it looked pretty sweet cause they had a nice cafeteria, all sorts of video games and other stuff all at their workplace? Yeah...those are there because there are certain periods in a development cycle where they likely won't get to go home.

I mean this is on par with if we complained there's not enough male nurses. What do I personally care and why would I insist a gender work a notoriously horrible job?

No I'm not blocking you, I just said I wasn't going to respond to you anymore because of your usage of profanity and insults when you replied to me

But I can see that you are making an effort to engage in civil conversation so there is no reason we can't continue to debate :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

An "article" from Verge:

https://web.archive.org/web/20141008180124/http://www.theverge.com/2014/10/8/6919179/youre-not-a-gamer-youre-just-an-****

But I don't think anyone should read it. It's awful:

The problem for Gamergate’s "gamers" is that video games no longer exist purely to sate the gaze of galvanic young men eager to defend their sacrosanct right to beat virtual prostitutes to death as if they were righteous neck-stabbing defenders of the Alamo.

Very valid article and articulates many of the concerns I have around GG

But it doesn't say everyone on GG is a militant or extremist. We know that there are many people on GG who have good intentions, but unfortunately the whole GG movement is tainted because of  some people  

The sooner it fades into obscurity the better for raising valid criticism against certain developments in the gaming industry

Valid. Right. In the very URL it already calls us ****.

You really are the biggest bigot here.

• Like 2

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

An "article" from Verge:

https://web.archive.org/web/20141008180124/http://www.theverge.com/2014/10/8/6919179/youre-not-a-gamer-youre-just-an-****

But I don't think anyone should read it. It's awful:

The problem for Gamergate’s "gamers" is that video games no longer exist purely to sate the gaze of galvanic young men eager to defend their sacrosanct right to beat virtual prostitutes to death as if they were righteous neck-stabbing defenders of the Alamo.

Very valid article and articulates many of the concerns I have around GG

But it doesn't say everyone on GG is a militant or extremist. We know that there are many people on GG who have good intentions, but unfortunately the whole GG movement is tainted because of  some people  

The sooner it fades into obscurity the better for raising valid criticism against certain developments in the gaming industry

Valid. Right. In the very URL it already calls us ****.

You really are the biggest bigot here.

:lol:

You do know  what the word bigot means right? Allow me to share something with you

http://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/bigot?showCookiePolicy=true

" a person who is intolerant of any ideas other than his or her own, esp on religion, politics, or race"

How am I being intolerant of white, males?

I just don't like some of the people on GG who happen to be white, males. But I don't like them because they are whites males. I don't like them because they offensive and make derogatory comments about certain groups

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

"Careful dude. I bluntly told him I thought no one here takes him seriously one day and I'm pretty sure he's blocked me for it, as he hasn't acknowledged a post I've made since. Wouldn't that be just awful if you got blocked???"

Eh. I'm blocked by a bunch of people at Codex and I'm sure here. Big deal. People THAT bothered by my posts aren't to be worriied about. Options for everyone.

"How am I being intolerant of white, males?"

Kiddin' right? L0L

• Like 1

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"Careful dude. I bluntly told him I thought no one here takes him seriously one day and I'm pretty sure he's blocked me for it, as he hasn't acknowledged a post I've made since. Wouldn't that be just awful if you got blocked???"

Eh. I'm blocked by a bunch of people at Codex and I'm sure here. Big deal. People THAT bothered by my posts aren't to be worriied about. Options for everyone.

"How am I being intolerant of white, males?"

Kiddin' right? L0L

I'm being deadly serious

When have I ever said " I don't like white males" or  "I think white males are a demographic that I have an issue with  "

You are confusing the fact that I support transformation in games to somehow disliking my own race, I'm not sure why you would think that. I am clearly not explaining my point properly if that's what you really think I believe :ermm:

John Milton 

Yeah Bruce, calling that article valid demonstrates a pretty bad lapse in judgement, no offense. It is full of hyperbole, strawmen and false comparisons and you clearly did not look at it with the same critical eye you use on pro-GamerGate articles. It shows clear bias on your part (I'm making no value judgement on whether or not this is intentional) where you take sources representing your point of view as more credible than sources that do not represent your point of view, whether that source is credible or not.

Examples:

- It misrepresents GamerGate members as "Right-Wing Obstinates" when the only relevant research done has shown that by far the majority of GamerGate is left-wing libertarian. Now, this research isn't perfect and also came from biased sources but it is demonstrably fact based and the only demonstable factual problem is that the sample size is small. Since this is the only factual research done at this point, its conclusions should be treated as factual making the truth of the matter to be libertarian vs. authoritarian rather than left vs right.

- "The kind of internet detective work that caught the wrong Boston Bomber," implies that all the things uncovered by GamerGate are false, which isn't true.

- The use of the term sock-puppets in the context of GamerGate implies that #NotYourShield supporters are fake accounts. I know several in real life, so demonstrably untrue.

- Nearly all article references are to biased sources and op-ed pieces that present no evidence. You accused me of scraping the bottom of the barrel before, but these guys blow me out of the water. One of the links he presents is a forum post. You cannot criticize me for posting Twitter messages as evidence before and then come out and say this article is valid.

- It prefaces the section mentioning Christina Hoff Sommers, registered Democrat, as being about right-wing reactionaries.

- T.C. Sottek, the writer, has zero qualifications but dismisses Professor Christina Hoff Sommers' fact based research regarding chauvinism in feminist movements out of hand.

- Based on his earlier articles, the writer is already biased against video games, gamers and game developers. One such article claims Blizzard Entertainment is a willfull, malicious drug dealer. Another claims the latest Magic: The Gathering game isn't inclusive on account of being too hard to understand for laymen and the high level card sets being unaffordable to poor people (just click is name in the article and look at them yourself). He routinely makes things up and presents it as evidence, or parrots things others have made up as evidence.

- It compares GameJournoPros to the JournoList controversy and then claims neither had a real scandal. Factual untruth, JournoList was a real scandal and journalists admitted to collusion to smear specific politicians, and several lost their jobs over it. It shows clear bias favouring journalists and shows that the writer will, to put it bluntly, just make **** up.

- Claims #GamerGate originated from 4chan, demonstrably untrue. It originated from Adam Baldwin.

- Claims #NotYourShield is an astroturfing campaign orchestrated by 4chan, which has been repeatedly proven to be false.

- Compares #GamerGate to people fighting to not allow gay people to marry, which is demonstrably untrue hyperbole. Nobody in GamerGate says women or minorities can't play video games, at worst the most mysoginistic portions of GamerGate say they want them to play video games as long as it's not "at cost" of video games (a dumb argument, but still doesn't apply) and at best GamerGaters (such as John Bain, Janelle Bonnano, Erik Kain, Brad Wardell) welcome and implore minorities to become part of the community.

- It claims GamerGaters are related to the people that perpetrated several instances of harassment completely unrelated to GamerGate (the abuse against Zelda Williams, the leaking of celebrity nude photos), of which there is no evidence.

- Claims GamerGate is defending their right to murder virtual prostitutes, which is untrue. In fact, GamerGate has criticised many outlets for their hypocrisy because they gave the Grand Theft Auto series extremely high ratings while proceeding to lambast it for being a misogynistic murder simulator that "turns people into bigots" at the same time.

- In a comment he himself makes on the article, he says all of GamerGates claims regarding journalistic integrity are false (his words: a conspiracy theory with no basis in reality) when several of them have already been demonstrated to be true, which is another instance of the writer just making things up and presenting them as fact.

The article and its writer have no credibility, no qualifications and no facts. It's simply put, a bunk piece of sensationalism. It's not a valid article, it's a baseless op-ed piece masquerading as journalism. Since that is the very essence of the ethical problem GamerGate opposes it is clearly biased - this guy stands for exactly what GamerGate stands against, of course he's going to be opposed it.

In short, be better Bruce.

At the same time, I do not approve of people constantly attacking you in abusive and ridiculing ways and I wish they would stop. We are trying to have a discussion here and that's not helpful. If anything, they are giving weight to the claims that Gamers want to shut dissenting voices up.

• Like 5

Credit for 2L3374U for long ago pointing out how full of **** Bruce is.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

This blog made me laugh so hard I cried, and those of you who knew a certain Codex member might find it funny too.

http://daddywarpig.wordpress.com/2014/10/09/how-to-kill-gamergate-in-2-easy-steps-which-kotaku-polygon-and-the-verge-wont-even-try/

The abridged version:

Psst! Media guys! Come over here. I have a secret. And it’s a big one.

I know how to KILL #GamerGate. The method’s simple, direct, and utterly infallible.

1. Adopt an ethics policy.
  2. Adhere to it.

BOOM! Blow them right away.

#GamerGate’s all about the misogyny, right?

Look at it this way: it’s a guaranteed win. Even if they’re not brutal, women-hating troglodytes looking to (vicariously) ravish helpless women in vicious women-hating video games, if you take away their single demand, you win. They have no leg to stand on.

So why not do it?

Unless… oh. It’s the steps, right? You have a problem with the steps? Probably the second one, most of all. You just can’t do it, right? It sticks in your craw.

Edited by TrueNeutral
  • Like 1

- Claims GamerGate is defending their right to murder virtual prostitutes, which is untrue. In fact, GamerGate has criticised many outlets for their hypocrisy because they gave the Grand Theft Auto series extremely high ratings while proceeding to lambast it for being a misogynistic murder simulator that "turns people into bigots" at the same time.

Gamergate sort of is, this movement is opposed to censoring games, it generally consists of people believing people should be able to choose what kind of games they want to play, not just what fits some journalists SJW agenda, granted the sites are pussies and don't dare to take on giants like GTA, so our right to murder virtual prostitutes isn't under attack, but being able to murder virtual prostitutes is a key part of freedom of expression.

Oh I'll have to send that to Cheong, that'll get a rise out of him. :lol:

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Credit for 2L3374U for long ago pointing out how full of **** Bruce is.

He was your hero hey Malc

Remember when he called me "thoroughly, revoltingly condescending " .. :lol:

I have never forgotten that, it really made me laugh :lol:

John Milton 

Gamergate sort of is, this movement is opposed to censoring games, it generally consists of people believing people should be able to choose what kind of games they want to play, not just what fits some journalists SJW agenda, granted the sites are pussies and don't dare to take on giants like GTA, so our right to murder virtual prostitutes isn't under attack, but being able to murder virtual prostitutes is a key part of freedom of expression.

I suppose that's true, but that doesn't make it any less of a misrepresentation.

No, I don't venerate forum posters, but he was accurate then. *shrug*

No, I don't venerate forum posters, but he was accurate then. *shrug*

Malc why don't you start venerating me?  That way you'll feel happier about the things in life that bother, you know you want to.... :wowey:

John Milton 

Perhaps I'll consider it once you get crucified.

• Like 1

...and in today's news of GamerGate:

Kotaku writing about corruption with youtube-reviewers/LPs: https://archive.today/SgCx8

Francis, that fat, white, cis-privileged neeeeerd with his channel of 1.9 million subscribers, did not like it:

kYEtDWN.jpg

TO71xfa.jpg

Oh, guess who wrote the article? Nathan Grayson.

Edited by Meshugger

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Are you telling me that Rambo is not Sylvester Stallone?! :(

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

No, but I mean literally only like a quarter of his videos are even in character as Francis. It's not his constant persona, when he's posting on Twitter he's not being "Francis, angry nerd extraordinaire", he's just being Steven, intelligent, compassionate and well-spoken man.

Of course i know, but Francis is much more funnier, dammit!

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy