ktchong

"but you think bosses should be allowed to date their subordinates too? They are adults afterall.. "

If both individuals agree to it, why the hell not? Why are people always wanting to enslave and control other people when there is no need to?

It opens all kinds of question and doubts about preferential treatment, which exists but can't be proven. However a sexual relation can be proof of it, so the company may be vulnerable to legal actions due to it. EG: disgruntled worker cites boss employee relationships as cause of their lack of promotion and seeks reparations. 

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

And? 

Like I said, it's about slavery, power, and control. Trying to tell others how to use their body, mind, spirit, and soul. That's evil to the core.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

And? 

Like I said, it's about slavery, power, and control. Trying to tell others how to use their body, mind, spirit, and soul. That's evil to the core.

The power dynamics on those types of relationship are skewed yes, just because they are susceptible to become abusive doesn't mean that they inherently are.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

village_idiot.gif

And? 

The power dynamics on those types of relationship are skewed yes, just because they are susceptible to become abusive doesn't mean that they inherently are.

If I hold public office and award contracts to a company I have significant shares in ... that may not be corrupt. It may be the best contractor. But you can't seriously suggest it should be accepted.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

And? 

If I hold public office and award contracts to a company I have significant shares in ... that may not be corrupt. It may be the best contractor. But you can't seriously suggest it should be accepted.

I get what you are saying but I don't know if that scenario you described would be unacceptable?

In South Africa we have  massive issues around corruption in the public sector and the awarding of tenders to people who know government ministers. And what happens in many cases is that the people who win the tender selection process can't do the job, so you have a failure to deliver certain services and projects due to nepotism

But if the company was able to do the work and they really are the best company to do the particular work is that really a problem?

It definitely can create a conflict of interest but it doesn't have to be.

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I find it unbearably sad that the best you can hope for is well intentioned corruption.

• Like 1

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I find it unbearably sad that the best you can hope for is well intentioned corruption.

Welcome to the human race.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

And? 

That's not a good example since that's pretty much the common practice around here, and it doesn't seem to bother no one except militants with cattle.

village_idiot.gif

Welcome to the human race.

You forgot pic

tumblr_mgyuiyMerS1qfr6udo1_400.gif

• Like 3

village_idiot.gif

Please don't misunderstand me, corruption is a terrible blight that inflicts society and needs to be addressed

But in the South African context we just want companies who can do a proper job, that in certain ways is more important than how they go it. And this applies to the public sector only

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

"but you think bosses should be allowed to date their subordinates too? They are adults afterall.. "

If both individuals agree to it, why the hell not? Why are people always wanting to enslave and control other people when there is no need to?

Hypothetichal question. If a women employer only hires men willing to sleep with her, but those men completly concent to the agreement, is that all right?

Fortune favors the bald.

Hypothetichal question. If a women employer only hires men willing to sleep with her, but those men completly concent to the agreement, is that all right?

Is she hot and willing to have sex with me?

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

In countries where prostitution is legal you could probably draw up a contract for that, I guess.

Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.

"Hypothetichal question. If a women employer only hires men willing to sleep with her, but those men completly concent to the agreement, is that all right?"

She can do what she wants with her money. They can do what they want with their bodies.

• Like 1

You guys have some really weird notions about morality.

• Like 3

-Elwood Blues

"Morality and Practicality should be congruent. If they're not there's something wrong with one or the other. "

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

"Hypothetichal question. If a women employer only hires men willing to sleep with her, but those men completly concent to the agreement, is that all right?"

She can do what she wants with her money. They can do what they want with their bodies.

History is a scary showcase of what kind of abuse that follows this attitude. And why the more civilized and happy the society, the more they protect the rights of the weaker part of these situations.

It worries me that you do not see the serious implications and slippery slopes here to be honest.

Fortune favors the bald.

Private companies should be allowed to hire whoever they want on whatever terms they see fut. It's their money why anybody should have any say in the matter.

Yeah, that's never led to any problems ever.

Fewer problems than government regulation designed to combat said problems, most of which are imaginary, hypothetical, or really just no one's business except the employer and employee.

Hypothetical question: What if foreveralones who feel entitled to women as objects simply because they are male, sitting in front of computers railing against the "vast feminist conspiracy" made a reasonable, good-faith attempt to understand what life is like for a woman, from a woman's perspective?

Just kidding! Actually it's a rhetorical question because that's never going to happen.

Edited by AGX-17

Private companies should be allowed to hire whoever they want on whatever terms they see fut. It's their money why anybody should have any say in the matter.

Fewer problems than government regulation designed to combat said problems, most of which are imaginary, hypothetical, or really just no one's business except the employer and employee.

Ah, it's as if the Gilded Age never happened.  Such a paradise we live in.   o:)

There seems to be an equally staggering ignorance of the history of employment law.

Suggesting you want to work in a market where you have zero protection other than what you can provide for yourself is ...well I can only hope you never have to. You morons.

• Like 2

-Elwood Blues

"History is a scary showcase of what kind of abuse that follows this attitude. And why the more civilized and happy the society, the more they protect the rights of the weaker part of these situations.

It worries me that you do not see the serious implications and slippery slopes here to be honest."

How do you know the men in the scenario are 'weaker' or being 'forced'? Maybe they are happy with the situation.

"There seems to be an equally staggering ignorance of the history of employment law.

Suggesting you want to work in a market where you have zero protection other than what you can provide for yourself is ...well I can only hope you never have to. You morons."

The only moron ar eidiots who beleive in slavery int elling others what to do with their bodies. That's evil.

As for legally: a) the law is often WRONG. and b) There is NOTHING illegal of an employee and employer having a relationship in either Kanada or the US.

Ah, it's as if the Gilded Age never happened.  Such a paradise we live in.   o:)

Paradise? No... it's hell in comparison, really. For nearly everyone in the employee/employment market. Some are just ignorantly satisfied with their subjugation and lack of freedoms. 'None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.' of course.

The popular history, as I imagine you teach it in schools is that we're so much better off since the age of children working in factories, 'The Jungle', et al. But it really wasn't near that bad for most back in the day, and I could tell you a number of modern horror stories that would not be or are made worse by modern laws that are supposedly there to protect workers. I just heard a new one today in fact.

I wouldn't say things were all happy and perfect once upon a time, but I'll take no regulation at all over the nightmare we have now. If there's a happy median, we flew past it long ago. But hey, I would have left Europe to go to the New World once upon a time to escape the bull**** laws and regulations, many in this thread and many now in the New World, would not have. Unfortunately in modern times, there's near no where to run off to, to escape the what for the most part could be called in modern times 'statists' of one form or another, be they communist, monarchist, fascist, a happy combination of, or whatever.

Question for all those that think it's soooo much better now in regards to labor laws than it was once upon a time:

Can you come up with a scenario where a modern law that is actually on the books that is supposedly designed to protect a worker could in fact harm them or other workers greatly instead?

If you cannot, you're either ignorant of the actual laws, lack experience or imagination, or are completely brainwashed. Because real life examples are out there aplenty.

And then there's the whole no so small income tax issue....

Edited by Valsuelm