Drama in indy gaming and games journalism part 2

Tale

Gromnir, I am using metacritic only to show the average "Critic" reviews of those games. I am not using the fan reviews. I only did it because it is easier to find critic reviews through metacritic than surfing the entirety of google for specific reviews, and because it showed the averages of those reviews. The general positivity of the press on those games was the purpose. I don't use metacritic to influence my decisions for purchasing a game though. Never have.

I was more naive with ME3 because I was still a bit of a BioDrone. I was only paying attention to reviews which was my mistake, but that is the point of this. They aren't reliable as they are being used to advertise more than almost anything else in gaming.

DA2 I wasn't paying attention to development as I had a lot going on, and once again I saw solid reviews with very little critique of the game.

I don't really follow competitive shooters in development because I know I should expect more of the same. The lack of discussion from those reviews on the subject of changes to GoW were why I purchased it.

I should have said I got screwed by normal sources. That is my fault. I can't even remember which sites specifically as I have slept since then. I have since these three burns prominently followed specific people because of either how they do their reviews or because of their taste in games. As an example I follow TotalBiscuit because even games he doesn't care for have been games I thought I would enjoyed and enjoy them I did, and it is because of his "not a review" style.

Yeah, I can't find it, but I am not on my pc. It may have been edited out. I can't blame them that.

Hahaha, this is like "if you are retarded, clap your hands!"

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

2). Multiplayer system was shoe horned into the game, and required one to participate to see everything in the single player ending.

I see this repeated a lot, but its not true. I never touched the multiplayer and had way more than the required EMS score for the "good" ending. The only DLC I had was From Ashes, which as far as I know didn't have any extra War Assets.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

2). Multiplayer system was shoe horned into the game, and required one to participate to see everything in the single player ending.

I see this repeated a lot, but its not true. I never touched the multiplayer and had way more than the required EMS score for the "good" ending. The only DLC I had was From Ashes, which as far as I know didn't have any extra War Assets.

Before being patched, you had to have played some multiplayer to boost something to get the best ending. It was quickly patched out though, from what I understand.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

Before being patched, you had to have played some multiplayer to boost something to get the best ending. It was quickly patched out though, from what I understand.

It was called galactic readiness and had to have it at 100% in order to get the special blue ending where Shepard survives. 

Edited by Namutree

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

Knee-jerk reactions and giving ratings out of desire for revenge or "justice" is one of the most unproductive and worst things one can do.

Objectivity - or at least emotional detachment - is a necessity for anyone attempting to review something.

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!

Ms. hernandez is an idiot or a troll. And, she spits upon troll rape victims. Seriously, is that supposed to be taken seriously?

Also, why do people constantly disrespect women and accuse them of being little babies that need to be protected like kiddies?

L0LZ

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Surely that was just a troll article, doubt anyone is that into the Kool-Aid.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Surely that was just a troll article, doubt anyone is that into the Kool-Aid.

Or its the opinion  of radical feminists, not sure why you guys want to post there stuff and then express such outrage. They don't represent mainstream gender equality views

Some of there blogs are just ludicrous

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

It would be something radical if it wasn't photoshoped 

Here is this and lot of more similar photoshops

http://imgur.com/a/y8jII

This is article that reddit about picture says is original source for 4chan edits.

http://kotaku.com/5914348/three-words-i-said-to-the-man-i-defeated-in-gears-of-war-that-ill-never-say-again

Edited by Elerond
  • Like 3

The original article is amusingly hand-wringing, but not totally insane.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

It would be something radical if it wasn't photoshoped 

Here is this and lot of more similar photoshops

http://imgur.com/a/y8jII

This is article that reddit about picture says is original source for 4chan edits.

http://kotaku.com/5914348/three-words-i-said-to-the-man-i-defeated-in-gears-of-war-that-ill-never-say-again

Captain Fact Check saves the day again!!!

Also, those are pretty entertaining... :D

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

I actually tried to find that article but thought they deleted it out of embarrassment. Which they would. Although these days maybe not.

I did same, then checked from internet archives, but when I didn't find it I checked reddit threads about it and found those links.

• Like 1

I actually tried to find that article but thought they deleted it out of embarrassment. Which they would. Although these days maybe not.

My thought process exactly.

GameJournoPros list quick count - Out 0f 163, 140 are white males. I wonder if they're projecting their own sexism and racism onto gamers.

Correction, 140 out of 156. 90%.

Now why can't our sub-culture get the reasonable feminists?

http://www.independent.ie/style/celebrity/celebrity-news/emma-watsons-speech-on-feminism-inspires-at-un-heforshe-launch-30605135.html

I seriously have to ask what exactly the goal is of feminism within the gaming world.

There is indeed equal opportunity for expression within the gaming world. There isn't any known or recognized sexism within the gaming industry in the sense that female employees are refused or not prioritized by companies, and as we've seen, the mere fact that so many gaming journalists are lending the feminists their ears suggests there's no sexism within the journalism or media surrounding games. Likewise as I've stated before, I'd be willing to bet the quota of female protagonists within gaming is probably higher than that within gender-neutral TV shows and movies.

So what exactly IS the goal? As I've said before the only correct observation they've made is "hey sometimes you go online or play an online game and you meet trolls or prepubescent boys who act all crazy when they hear a girl."

In response:

1) Meeting them online isn't exactly a part of gaming, now is it? In an online game yes, on an online youtube video...? No.

2) Yes, teenage boys are like that. You're not going to be able to change that. PERIOD. If you don't like it, just find communities that don't house it. FFS I play TF2 and I know servers where players tend to be kids and young teens (the young teens often calling out the kids for being kids and therefore lame and totally uncool!), and my female friend with the stereotypical hot french accent...? Yeah, might pay her money to talk again because last time she spoke on mic she developed a small horde of personal defenders, all hoping that if they protect her in an online game then somehow this woman in her late 20's would fall in love with and go out with them....online.

But in that very same game I can play on servers where a woman could talk and no one would bat an eye because it's normal. You cannot march into a small mining town of 100 people where 96 of those people are men and expect to teach them to calm down and not freak out and act weird when another woman passes through town. Same exact concept here. If you don't like a community? Ignore it and find one you do. I'm sorry you have to face this annoyance whereas I do not, but that's reality. You can either adapt to reality, or you can piss and moan and piss people off by doing so. It's a very odd request to expect reality to change itself around you and your needs, especially when for that to happen, we'd basically need to phone in women to play video games against their will or something...

3)  Video games are young. Mario himself is only 33 years old. I promise you as time goes on, new generations are born and video games become more commonplace within the world and not just "that thing only nerds play" that you'll see more women playing aswell, diminishing the unique little reactions some of those communities have to women. Taking the same mining town example above....you CAN actually change a community online in the sense that....If that mining town only has 4 girls but that mining town also has wifi access, and so does Brazil where women actually vastly outnumber men and the women act accordingly...? (true fact btw) Then guess what, problem solved. This problem will literally solve itself with time.

So yeah, I honestly don't understand the goal, assuming there is one.

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

https://za.celebrity.yahoo.com/blogs/celeb-news/emma-watson-delivers-stirring-speech-at-u-n-204442194.html

Guys here is an interesting read, I have even more respect for Emma Watson after seeing her efforts to highlight the campaign for gender equality

Very relevant when she said  

"I was appointed as Goodwill Ambassador for U.N. Women six months ago and the more I've spoken about feminism, the more I have realized that fighting for women's rights has too often become synonymous with man-hating. If there is one thing I know for certain, it is that this has to stop."

"Feminism," Watson continued, "is, by definition, the belief that men and women should have equal rights and opportunities. It is the theory of the political, economic and social equality of the sexes."

How many times have I said that feminism doesn't mean you are a man-hater or that men must be marginalized ...Volo I hope you read this

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

How many times have I said that feminism doesn't mean you are a man-hater or that men must be marginalized ...Volo I hope you read this

Read the EXACT post above yours.

We all understand this fully. But we also live in reality and understand that sadly, many branches of feminism are extremist ones. The ones involved with GamerGate are sadly one of those, from the looks of things.

FFS, this video:

Guess what: she's a feminist. So yes, it's painfully obvious that the group involved with GamerGate does not represent all of feminism.

....But it would be highly inappropriate and unwise for the gaming community to handle and address the situation as though it were dealing with normal feminism. It's not.

https://za.celebrity.yahoo.com/blogs/celeb-news/emma-watson-delivers-stirring-speech-at-u-n-204442194.html

Guys here is an interesting read, I have even more respect for Emma Watson after seeing her efforts to highlight the campaign for gender equality

Very relevant when she said  

"I was appointed as Goodwill Ambassador for U.N. Women six months ago and the more I've spoken about feminism, the more I have realized that fighting for women's rights has too often become synonymous with man-hating. If there is one thing I know for certain, it is that this has to stop."

"Feminism," Watson continued, "is, by definition, the belief that men and women should have equal rights and opportunities. It is the theory of the political, economic and social equality of the sexes."

Decent speech but the whole "we all benefit" vibe seems to clash with the website having a silly pledge of "Gender equality is not only a women’s issue, it is a human rights issue that requires my participation. I commit to take action against all forms of violence and discrimination faced by women and girls.", heh.