Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Companion Portrait Consistency

portraits companion portraits

• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

Zed

Zed

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 183 posts
  • PSN Portable ID:no
  • Xbox Gamertag:lol, no
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

sounds like a lot of people here are fans of airbrush-editing of TV actors

• Karkarov likes this

illathid

illathid

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 726 posts
  • PSN Portable ID:illathid
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Love the Eder and Aloth portraits. Dislike Palegina's, and I hate the Kara one. Actually that'll probably decide who my companions are; everyone but Palegina and Kara.

Also, Monte just post the damn pic. ;)

mutonizer

mutonizer

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 307 posts

sounds like a lot of people here are fans of airbrush-editing of TV actors

Really good way to easily find tons of different faces/poses/expressions, since it's basically their job and while it takes skills to do, it removes a lot of the "drawing" issues (and insane amount of time needed)

• Matt516 likes this

C2B

C2B

Lazy Assistant of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 4149 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Pallegina and Aloth are my favorites.
  • Messier-31 likes this

Fiebras

Fiebras

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 250 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer

Personally I dislike both BG´s portraits and love all of Icewind Dale´s. I just cant get over the shining skin and bloom like they were airsprayed and that almost everyone looks like an american cosplayer.

Im also an avid fan of well-used chiaroscuro and earth tones (and ID´s use so much of it). ID´s portraits manage to convey buckets of personality without coming off as charicatures.

And the helms. Oh man I love helm portraits:

3179346283_4fb787f708.jpg

male12.jpg

It might be because I enjoy the rank and file soldier look over the heroic saviour look. Please make helmet portraits! Especially bascinets! They never get enoug love!

Spoiler

"I aint got time for you damn bugs"

Or the always beautiful Sallet (especially since we got cossbows and all that)?

Spoiler

"Always ready m´lord"

Even without the mouthpiece its awesome and has so much personality:

Spoiler

"Just tell me were to shoot"

Okay I should stop gushing about helmets (dont get me started on roman galdiator helmets [Murmillo is the best]).

PoE´s portraits make me think of a middle point between BG´s bright/faded colors and expressive faces and ID´s use of shadows (without thick use of it) and brushstrokes. The overall feeling I get from them is "optimism" if that can be a thing.

PS: Im rather miffed that the Aumaua face models dont look that good. Every other model looks great but the Aumaua models are a far cry from their portraits. I think its the face markings mostly though and the lack of plumb/meaty faces as oposed to the portrait´s to a lesser extent. I just want to be the bald cheerful awesome sharkteeth dude. But, but, but:

Spoiler

Also there isnt an option for facial hair for Aumaumas while the new portrait has a beard. Oh fiddlesticks.

/rant

Edited by Fiebras, 04 September 2014 - 01:56 PM.

• Karkarov, Bill Gates' Son and IndiraLightfoot like this

Sensuki

Sensuki

Subway Apathist of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 9965 posts
  • Steam:STEAM_0:1:1229809
  • Kickstarter Backer
If you don't like something about the Character Art, submit it as a bug report - Dimitri Berman has stated he is after feedback on the models. I thought the same about Female Aumaua Head #2 and Male & Female Dwarf Heads 2 & 3.

Seari

Seari

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 417 posts
-

It's easier to emotionally connect with a character that isn't obscured by a helmet. There's a reason why main characters don't wear helmets. :grin:

I agree, the aumaua face model looks really bad. Hopefully they change the derpy face, because I'm planning on making an aumaua PC for my first playthrough.

edit: When you post large images put them into a spoiler, like you did with the last one, or an attachment or something.

Edited by Seari, 04 September 2014 - 01:31 PM.

Fiebras

Fiebras

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 250 posts

-

It's easier to emotionally connect with a character that isn't obscured by a helmet. There's a reason why main characters don't wear helmets. :grin:

I agree, the aumaua face model looks really bad. Hopefully they change the derpy face, because I'm planning on making an aumaua PC for my first playthrough.

edit: When you post large images put them into a spoiler, like you did with the last one, or an attachment or something.

I would argue that because the helmet is a blank slate its much easier to project a personality onto it or on the person behind it. On the other hand you can view the helmet like a mask with a personality all on its own that either contrasts or reflects the wearer´s own:

Spoiler

Spoiler

As for the more practical examples I find them full of personality on  their own:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Oh and I usualy try to spoiler big images but I didnt think it would be that much of a problem with those since the forum resizes them on its own. Fixed the previous post anyway.

If you don't like something about the Character Art, submit it as a bug report - Dimitri Berman has stated he is after feedback on the models. I thought the same about Female Aumaua Head #2 and Male & Female Dwarf Heads 2 & 3.

I wasnt aware you could report uncanny face models as a bug in itself so I had held off so as to not clutter that place with more clutter.

It seems to me they went with a very asian face style for the models but went with an indian-esque for the portraits themselves resulting in a mismatch.

Edited by Fiebras, 04 September 2014 - 02:19 PM.

aeonsim

aeonsim

Sentient Simulation of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 304 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Love the style of the first three companions not such a fan of the style used for the Chanter.

Any way if I dislike the default portraits there's plenty of nice ones available from deviantArt's fantasy section.

ManifestedISO

ManifestedISO

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1776 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Please, Scarlett, Monte. 

GreyFox

GreyFox

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 432 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

PEs portraits overall are worse than any of the IE games and it's not even close....that's just my opinion but wow they are bland and uninspiring. Also like the other poster said...no one is wearing helmets? Hoods? anything? It's almost unbelievable. 

Edited by GreyFox, 04 September 2014 - 06:38 PM.

Fiebras

Fiebras

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 250 posts

For the record I really like PoE´s portraits. Though adding unrecognizable portrait characters like ones that wear helmets can help with the illusion of variety since they can be used for almost any race (escept godlikes).

Seari

Seari

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 417 posts

Eh, I think we should count ourselves lucky to have such talented art designers for this game. Some portraits are bad, I agree, but hopefully Kaz can fix em up.

• Ganrich likes this

Marceror

Marceror

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1442 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Please, Scarlett, Monte. 

Not "Baldurized" but does that really matter?

scarlett-johansson-hairstyle-scarlett-jo

• Ganrich and InsaneCommander like this

Monte Carlo

Monte Carlo

Vorpal Panzerfaust of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 6720 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:MonteCarlo
  • Kickstarter Backer

f60e31232291cd0ee804d22c3c2877.jpg

• Hiro Protagonist, GreyFox, IndiraLightfoot and 6 others like this

Sensuki

Sensuki

Subway Apathist of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 9965 posts
  • Steam:STEAM_0:1:1229809
  • Kickstarter Backer

Current BG2 portrait:

M.png

• Monte Carlo and InsaneCommander like this

Monte Carlo

Monte Carlo

Vorpal Panzerfaust of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 6720 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:MonteCarlo
  • Kickstarter Backer

Monica!

*swoons*

Marceror

Marceror

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1442 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

f60e31232291cd0ee804d22c3c2877.jpg

I have used that one before. But for some reason I couldn't find it last night. Silly me. I should have checked the portraits directory on my gaming PC rather than scouring the internet.

JPNotADragon

JPNotADragon

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 6 posts

I like these a lot, but I have no idea who made them.

cScpE3.pngo1vWRv.jpghcFkxS.pnghVvK8N.pngrkKz3z.jpg

Agreed, those are fantastic.

Isandir's are not that bad though. A little too much gloss perhaps, not 100% perfect, but a worthy effort.

Seari

Seari

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 417 posts

Stumbled upon this beautiful portrait on deviantart, and decided to try a bit of photoshop magic(didn't ask for permission :-).

0G9Wqt.jpg

I might use it for my first playthrough. :)

Edited by Seari, 15 October 2014 - 03:32 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: portraits, companion portraits

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users