Companion Portrait Consistency

Seari

Love the Eder and Aloth portraits. Dislike Palegina's, and I hate the Kara one. Actually that'll probably decide who my companions are; everyone but Palegina and Kara.

Also, Monte just post the damn pic. ;)

"Wizards do not need to be The Dudes Who Can AoE Nuke You and Gish and Take as Many Hits as a Fighter and Make all Skills Irrelevant Because Magic."

-Josh Sawyer

sounds like a lot of people here are fans of airbrush-editing of TV actors

Really good way to easily find tons of different faces/poses/expressions, since it's basically their job and while it takes skills to do, it removes a lot of the "drawing" issues (and insane amount of time needed)

• Like 1

Personally I dislike both BG´s portraits and love all of Icewind Dale´s. I just cant get over the shining skin and bloom like they were airsprayed and that almost everyone looks like an american cosplayer.

Im also an avid fan of well-used chiaroscuro and earth tones (and ID´s use so much of it). ID´s portraits manage to convey buckets of personality without coming off as charicatures.

And the helms. Oh man I love helm portraits:

3179346283_4fb787f708.jpg

male12.jpg

It might be because I enjoy the rank and file soldier look over the heroic saviour look. Please make helmet portraits! Especially bascinets! They never get enoug love!

Bascinet%20Helmet-1390.jpg

"I aint got time for you damn bugs"

Or the always beautiful Sallet (especially since we got cossbows and all that)?

sallet1.jpg

"Always ready m´lord"

Even without the mouthpiece its awesome and has so much personality:

knight_aizenhud_6.jpg

"Just tell me were to shoot"

Okay I should stop gushing about helmets (dont get me started on roman galdiator helmets [Murmillo is the best]).

PoE´s portraits make me think of a middle point between BG´s bright/faded colors and expressive faces and ID´s use of shadows (without thick use of it) and brushstrokes. The overall feeling I get from them is "optimism" if that can be a thing.

PS: Im rather miffed that the Aumaua face models dont look that good. Every other model looks great but the Aumaua models are a far cry from their portraits. I think its the face markings mostly though and the lack of plumb/meaty faces as oposed to the portrait´s to a lesser extent. I just want to be the bald cheerful awesome sharkteeth dude. But, but, but:

hFb0fjy.png

UGH

Also there isnt an option for facial hair for Aumaumas while the new portrait has a beard. Oh fiddlesticks.

/rant

Edited by Fiebras
  • Like 3

If you don't like something about the Character Art, submit it as a bug report - Dimitri Berman has stated he is after feedback on the models. I thought the same about Female Aumaua Head #2 and Male & Female Dwarf Heads 2 & 3.

-

It's easier to emotionally connect with a character that isn't obscured by a helmet. There's a reason why main characters don't wear helmets. :grin:

I agree, the aumaua face model looks really bad. Hopefully they change the derpy face, because I'm planning on making an aumaua PC for my first playthrough.

edit: When you post large images put them into a spoiler, like you did with the last one, or an attachment or something.

Edited by Seari

-

It's easier to emotionally connect with a character that isn't obscured by a helmet. There's a reason why main characters don't wear helmets. :grin:

I agree, the aumaua face model looks really bad. Hopefully they change the derpy face, because I'm planning on making an aumaua PC for my first playthrough.

edit: When you post large images put them into a spoiler, like you did with the last one, or an attachment or something.

I would argue that because the helmet is a blank slate its much easier to project a personality onto it or on the person behind it. On the other hand you can view the helmet like a mask with a personality all on its own that either contrasts or reflects the wearer´s own:

HAotIR_60_a_b.jpg

hornet-helmet-medieval-armor.jpg

As for the more practical examples I find them full of personality on  their own:

knight-face-8098320.jpg

2334557564_9528367fbb.jpg

2009.6.15.jpg

Oh and I usualy try to spoiler big images but I didnt think it would be that much of a problem with those since the forum resizes them on its own. Fixed the previous post anyway.

If you don't like something about the Character Art, submit it as a bug report - Dimitri Berman has stated he is after feedback on the models. I thought the same about Female Aumaua Head #2 and Male & Female Dwarf Heads 2 & 3.

I wasnt aware you could report uncanny face models as a bug in itself so I had held off so as to not clutter that place with more clutter.

It seems to me they went with a very asian face style for the models but went with an indian-esque for the portraits themselves resulting in a mismatch.

Edited by Fiebras

PEs portraits overall are worse than any of the IE games and it's not even close....that's just my opinion but wow they are bland and uninspiring. Also like the other poster said...no one is wearing helmets? Hoods? anything? It's almost unbelievable. 

Edited by GreyFox

f60e31232291cd0ee804d22c3c2877.jpg

I have used that one before. But for some reason I couldn't find it last night. Silly me. I should have checked the portraits directory on my gaming PC rather than scouring the internet.

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

• 1 month later...