Do you want experience from combat?

DnaCowboy

Poll: Do You Want Combat Experience Included In The Game?  

377 members have voted

1. 1. Do you the backer want experience from combat?

• Yay, how on earth could any game call itself a crpg without combat exp?
    • Nay, questing is king
  2. 2. Would you be happy to wait for combat xp to be implemented in the main game or wait and pledge towards it as an add-on?

• I'd prefer to have combat XP implemented in the main game although that means the game may be delayed
    • I would far prefer combat XP be added as the first add-on pledge
    • Would you be happy to wait for combat xp to be implemented in the main game or wait and pledge towards it as an add-on?
    • Alternative approach (which the voter will lay out in thread)
    • N/A

This is a poll on whether the backer wants experience from combat or not, when I created it I had no idea that polls were not pinned, subsequently it was rudely brought to my attention that another poll exists; however, it is your choice whether to vote in this one that deals simply with one question or not. Edited by Tale
Modified poll by request
  • Like 1

No matter how many times cats fight, there's always plenty of kittens.

If you want this to be a remotely fair poll, might I suggest an objective perspective instead of your rather colorful choices of answers in the poll? You might be a troll who is just throwing fuel on the already burned out heap of a discussion called combat xp, but please have the choices be relevant and not just another bash at the developers choice of no combat xp.

• Like 5

If you want this to be a remotely fair poll, might I suggest an objective perspective instead of your rather colorful choices of answers in the poll? You might be a troll who is just throwing fuel on the already burned out heap of a discussion called combat xp, but please have the choices be relevant and not just another bash at the developers choice of no combat xp.

I'm sorry you feel that way, please won't you suggest how the poll should read?

Actually since discovering the other exists (I didn't realise polls weren't pinned) I am happy to delete this one.

Yup. Needs options that reflect all sizable opinions, like "Combat XP or bust" "Combat XP or something to replace it", "Objective XP is fine by me", "Quest XP only", etc. Don't waste the community's time with this silly poll.

• Like 2

Yup. Needs options that reflect all sizable opinions, like "Combat XP or bust" "Combat XP or something to replace it", "Objective XP is fine by me", "Quest XP only", etc. Don't waste the community's time with this silly poll.

I wanted to keep the poll simple, essentially reduced to one question; does the community want combat exp or not? If you'd prefer a poll with more options not relevant to this specific question then please create your own poll.

Edited by DnaCowboy

or you can accept that a poll such as this represents only the barest fraction o' purchasers and that regardless o' poll results the developers will be more interested in how QA folks actual play the game and alter their behaviors based on quest xp rewards... meaning this is largely a pointless endeavour. nevertheless, it don't hurt to do yet another poll on the same issue that has zero chance o' being changed at this point regardless o' results, so knock yourselves out.

HA! Good Fun!

ps we didn't add a vote

• Like 11

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Can we make a poll to end all polls? Polls are meaningless because you will never get everyone to vote. Usually the group that dislikes the status quo votes and the other one doesnt give a crap.

And yet that is how we pick our governments and leaders, the biggest irony of all...

• Like 2

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Well, at the moment that I submitted my vote (for comedy's sake, mind you), the Quest XP Only option has over 50% of the vote. There you have it folks: definitive proof that all backers of PoE despise combat XP and will forever hold the name Obsidian in contempt if they so much as see a hint of combat XP in this game. Checkmate you non-stealthy, diplomat-hating, murderous b*stards!!

/sarcasm

Seriously, can we stop pretending that these polls mean anything even remotely representative or useful?

• Like 1

"Forsooth, methinks you are no ordinary talking chicken!"

-Protagonist, Baldur's Gate

GrinningReaper659: LOL! They all left in disappointment, I'm guessing. I already know a few, which is really sad. If only the devs had commented on this fast, on their stance on the xp system in practice, and also given us some more definitive pointers on what can or can not be changed.

Edited by IndiraLightfoot

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

GrinningReaper659: LOL! They all left in disappointment, I'm guessing. I already know a few, which is really sad. If only the devs had commented on this fast, on their stance on the xp system in practice, and also given us some more definitive pointers on what can or can not be changed.

Well I agree that more communication would be nice but on the other hand the "I DEMAND ANSWERS NOW IM IMPORTANT" attitude from some people here is quite obnoxious. I see it this way: The first patch seems to be about bug fixing so its not that important to start discussing all that gameplay jazz.

Shouldn't it be a yes or no question anyway?

What does quest xp have to do with combat xp....when you can have both?

Having quest xp doesn't exclude combat xp......nor does wanting combat xp mean that's the ONLY way of attaining xp....

I actually haven't seen anyone say they ONLY want to get XP from combat and nothing else...

You loaded the question, you made the second option sound sarcastic.

Everyone's a cricket.

LOL damn those crickets

Edited by GreyFox
  • Like 1

I voted no.

Although, I think sometimes we could get some experience.

My vision is: if you fight against some adversaries, you should be rewarded by experience.

Like mythical creatures, very strong opponents, or simply because you made it YOUR quest.

No one told you to do it, you just planed it yourself, and it should be rewarded.

So vastly: No. But sometimes, in very few circumstances: Yes.

• Like 2

^ What he said.

Quest-based XP and a modest amount of random XP for killing critters satisfies everyone. In fact, I like quest-based XP too, it's yin and yang.

I'll go further - I have no problems with people getting the same XP for taking the easy talkie route if it scratches someone's RP itch. Fine. But not letting exploring hackmaster's carve a trail through the local wildlife and get some XP from it is astonishingly lame.

• Like 3

sonsofgygax.JPG

Quest-based XP and a modest amount of random XP for killing critters satisfies everyone

No, it doesn't. There are reasons why people specifically don't want Kill-XP in the game.

"You're a fool if you believe I would trust your benevolence. Step aside and you and your lackeys will be unhurt."

Baldur's Gate portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale 2 portraits for Pillars of Eternity

[slap Aloth]

some folks is trying to be funny. the point o' the quest/task based xp system used in PoE precludes giving specific awards for kills and lockpicks and other such activities. therefore, the comedians who says that they is not opposed to quest xp because they would gladly give kill and quest rewards is being jokers.

WARNING: Very SWEARY! am understanding if mods censor.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)