The contribution women make towards gaming development

BruceVC

Schoolyard name calling while prioritising gradations of victimhood, utterly pathetic, who the devil educated or employed these people?

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

No wonder they have more respect for ISIS. They have simply more in common with them than normies who just like to play a game.

http://witchwind.wordpress.com/2013/12/15/piv-is-always-rape-ok/

This is what we are dealing with folks. They can not be reasoned with, have no problem destroying lives to further their agenda, and are likely in need of mental health services.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

No wonder they have more respect for ISIS. They have simply more in common with them than normies who just like to play a game.

This is what we are dealing with folks. They can not be reasoned with, have no problem destroying lives to further their agenda, and are likely in need of mental health services.

While I agree that the position of the piece is fairly radical, I don't see anything in that article that indicates a desire to destroy lives and am loathe to argue mental health issues just because I don't agree with a position.

Vis-a-vis Leigh Alexander - if a person talks like a bully and acts like a bully, they're a bully.  She just doesn't seem to care that she is one, but it doesn't make her any less so.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Yikes, it's like I fell down the rabbit hole reading that.

• Like 2

While I agree that the position of the piece is fairly radical, I don't see anything in that article that indicates a desire to destroy lives and am loathe to argue mental health issues just because I don't agree with a position.

I think when you start throwing around accusations like rape, you can inflict serious damage on the personal and professional lives of people.

As to mental health, I just don't see such logic coming from a sane person.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

I think when you start throwing around accusations like rape, you can inflict serious damage on the personal and professional lives of people.

What she's writing about isn't an accusation of rape at least not in a legal sense and I doubt her arguments would mean much in a legal proceeding.  Mind you she'd blame that on the patriarchy, I'm sure.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

What she's writing about isn't an accusation of rape at least not in a legal sense and I doubt her arguments would mean much in a legal proceeding. Mind you she'd blame that on the patriarchy, I'm sure.

While that is true, I think it is fair to say that throwing around loaded terms like "misogynist" you can do harm to reputations. Obviously misogynist isn't as incendiary as rapist, but it still is a very bad thing to accuse someone of being.

While that is true, I think it is fair to say that throwing around loaded terms like "misogynist" you can do harm to reputations. Obviously misogynist isn't as incendiary as rapist, but it still is a very bad thing to accuse someone of being.

I don't disagree, necessarily with your position.  But you don't have to be a radical feminist to destroy someone's reputation if that's your goal.

• Like 2

I don't disagree, necessarily with your position. But you don't have to be a radical feminist to destroy someone's reputation if that's your goal.
I don't either. Admittedly I might not have articulated my thoughts very well, am I'm posting when I'm supposed to be working.

I think internet activists of all stripes have no problem throwing around baseless accusation to further their agenda. I see it being a bigger problem with SJWs because their soap box reaches much more people and carries more authority than other folks pushing an agenda. Moreover, there seems to be a drive to punish anyone who challenges their narrative, and accuse all criticisms as being misogynist.

As an example, I was recently temp-banned from Bleeding Cool because I made a crude joke, while some SJW was throwing around some pretty putrid stuff because a some dudes said they liked butts and was not given any punishment. Obviously I could have done something else(and on reflection could have popped something a lot funnier), but on a forum with the amount of poopflinging and unplesantness of BC, it seemed a bit odd to get a tempban for something relatively minor.

Sorry for the text vomit.

Edited by KaineParker

that kind of stuff is definately not a contrubution of woman towards the gaming scene. It´s a personal melt down of a few people who should be ignored. That the accusations of virtual rape and virtual fatality has anything to do with gamers is alone just .... i dont have a good word for that. We had that discussion with FPS makes little rambos out of ordinary teen boys... yeah. There wastn a serious problem before... it was teh games and stuff related to it. Oh man, people thought honey booboo´s mom was out of order... but these new breeds of insane clowns are worse, because they are dangerous. Dangerous because they would destroy any reputation of anyone just to get attention.

Edited by NWN_babaYaga

We tried that with ISIS, but it just ended up biting us in the back.

Relevant: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDxeFwmGnSs

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I think internet activists of all stripes have no problem throwing around baseless accusation to further their agenda. I see it being a bigger problem with SJWs because their soap box reaches much more people and carries more authority than other folks pushing an agenda. Moreover, there seems to be a drive to punish anyone who challenges their narrative, and accuse all criticisms as being misogynist.

As an example, I was recently temp-banned from Bleeding Cool because I made a crude joke, while some SJW was throwing around some pretty putrid stuff because a some dudes said they liked butts and was not given any punishment. Obviously I could have done something else(and on reflection could have popped something a lot funnier), but on a forum with the amount of poopflinging and unplesantness of BC, it seemed a bit odd to get a tempban for something relatively minor.

Sorry for the text vomit.

Back when I was a regular USENET user, there was a poster on a forum I went to who'd start new posts with people he'd gotten into arguments that were titled "> is a child molester".

He'd make 10 or 12 of them each time the person he didn't like argued with him in an attempt to back them off (at which point he'd declare Internet Victory)*.  You don't have to have an agenda to be a bully online.  That said, I think its human nature that groups that tend toward homogeneity will bully the outsider to their group, even if the outsider is another group.

Anyhow, sorry about the BleedingCool tempban.  If it wasn't against my principals I'd go there and find the thread you were tempbanned in and act like an asshat until I got temp banned (or full banned) in solidarity.  :)

*in the end he finally did it to a guy who hired a lawyer and the lawyer filed a libel suit against him which he won.  The guy's ISP dropped him and when he returned he didn't continue that debate "tactic" anymore.

Edited by Amentep
  • Like 2

I'm glad we're doing a fine job at ignoring them.

It's too amusing to ignore.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

For kirottu: 

1409339697074.jpg

• Like 2

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

http://www.polygon.com/features/2013/12/2/5143856/no-girls-allowed

Guys for those interested in how women have been marginalized as far as the target market has always been men for development companies and publishers I suggest you read this article

Its long but very pertinent and gives an objective opinion around this issue. If you understand the history you may be less resistance to the expected change

I liked the page layout and the design sense.

But the author reveals some suspect logic, IMO, very quickly -

"Would it be fair for all the girls to buy princesses and the boys to buy superheroes?" she says, smacking her right hand to her head in exasperation. "Girls want superheroes AND the boys want superheroes!"

She points her index finger and shakes her hand at the pink boxes around her. Occasionally jumbling her words while giving her impassioned speech, she questions why boys and girls need separate toy aisles and why some toys are designated for one gender and not the other. Boys and girls can both like pink, she says. Why do companies have to make boys and girls think that they can only like certain things? Palm open, she hits her right hand on the top of one of the boxes to emphasize her point.

followed by

The stereotype, for example, does not explain why "girls don't play video games." It does not reveal who or what is responsible for it. It does not explain how an industry that started with games like Pong (1972) or the first computer version of Tic-Tac-Toe (1959) came to be responsible for a medium that, for most of its history, hasn't had even an aisle's worth of games for Maida.

Emphasis mine, but isn't "Maida's point" that there shouldn't *be* a distinction (ie there shouldn't be an aisle for Maida, but an aisle for all kids with all kinds of toys), not that there hasn't been enough stuff made for her (to form her own aisle)?

Good post, I am glad you like the article. Its an old one that Alan posted last year but I found it  again recently

To answer your question I see where there is a contradiction in the points you listed. Yes there should be only one aisle that contains games suitable for boys and women. But I think the highlighted part is not what Maida wants, in other words her own aisle, the author is just highlighting the fact that you couldn't full a Maida aisle with games for her  even if you wanted to

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

"boys and women."

wut!?!

Volo did you read that Polygon article I posted? Its very relevant and discusses why we  nowadays have games that basically cater primarily for male gamers

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I don't know why you guys are so concerned about these types of articles, it  is obviously very subjective and the majority of people who care about gender equality would reject this.

Its almost like some of you search the Internet and look for the most radical and offensive feminist perspective you can find and then use it as a way to dismiss the entire movement. I don't get it. As I keep mentioning this type of view does not reflect what the majority of people who support gender equality believe in

• Like 1

John Milton 

"  nowadays have games that basically cater primarily for male gamers "

HAHAHAHA! If you don't see what is fundamentally  wrong in this statement not to mention the HUGE double standard hypocrisy when used in conjunction with that precious article it usually is.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I don't know why you guys are so concerned about these types of articles, it  is obviously very subjective and the majority of people who care about gender equality would reject this.

Its almost like some of you search the Internet and look for the most radical and offensive feminist perspective you can find and then use it as a way to dismiss the entire movement. I don't get it. As I keep mentioning this type of view does not reflect what the majority of people who support gender equality believe in

It is fitting though, a lot like characterizations of anyone that has a problem at all with "Anita" as the rape and death threat makers. :lol:

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

As I keep mentioning this type of view does not reflect what the majority of people who support gender equality believe in

Then prove it. Disown this type of stuff and double standards based on gender that negatively affect men.

Striving for equality by focusing solely on the needs of one group is....not a very good way to get equality.

It is fitting though, a lot like characterizations of anyone that has a problem at all with "Anita" as the rape and death threat makers. :lol:

If SJWs want me to take responsibility for some a troll being an asshat, then they need to own up to this stuff.

Edited by KaineParker