The contribution women make towards gaming development

BruceVC

I don't know why you guys are so concerned about these types of articles, it  is obviously very subjective and the majority of people who care about gender equality would reject this.

Its almost like some of you search the Internet and look for the most radical and offensive feminist perspective you can find and then use it as a way to dismiss the entire movement. I don't get it. As I keep mentioning this type of view does not reflect what the majority of people who support gender equality believe in

It is fitting though, a lot like characterizations of anyone that has a problem at all with "Anita" as the rape and death threat makers. :lol:

There is nothing fitting about the article or applicable to it  around the campaign for gender equality

It says that consensual sex is akin to rape and consensual sex is harmful to women, it is offensive and egregiously flawed

But what is worse is you guys thinking this is what gender equality is about or what gender equality stands for

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Oh god, I am beginning to hate this male / female stuff in games topic. Like, a lot. In the end I just want to play cool games. I don't need a political message or w/e. I really don't care about it. Especially because it seems to be impossible to make it right for everyone anyway. Like that hooker thing in GTA... Should Rockstar remove hookers from the game? Would that help? Probably not.

• Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

As I keep mentioning this type of view does not reflect what the majority of people who support gender equality believe in

Then prove it. Disown this type of stuff and double standards based on gender that negatively affect men.

So if I link one video, forum post or article that say it OK to harass and threaten that for example Anita Sarkeesian over her videos it will prove that everybody that don't agree with her videos are okay with such behavior until you can prove otherwise? Is that how proving things work in now days?

• Like 4

Ah what a perfect example of symmetry, game journalists, white man hating feminists and corrupt developers riding the waves of this current controversy on one hand, all saying that anybody whom considers themselves a gamer (i.e. plays games recreationally) should die and not be catered to. While on the other hand we have an even smaller minority, making death and rape threats against the people who are trying to restrict and reshape the hobby that these people are too attached to.

Sowing the seeds of hate, I wonder when those first seeds shall bud and reap a bitter harvest?

Edit: Of course in the midst of this game journalists corruption and their symbiotic relationship with the developers whom they should be objectively criticising is forgotten, as they frantically try and divert the story into a different sphere, realising their corrupt perch is a tad unstable.

Edited by Nonek
  • Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Problem is a lot of people are insane and find gaming is more than a hobby where we are all suckers that consume entertainment. It's art where we all are part of a shared communal experience or some weird stuff like that. But gamers don't figure into that as they just care about the games as entertainment, so probably why you see all these "gamers are dead" talking point stuff out. Not quite analogous to a bunch of half-committed club members booting out dedicated ones, but is partly there.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

//EDIT: D'oh! posted in the wrong thread, and there was already a similar link in the right one.

Edited by Meshugger

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

http://www.polygon.com/features/2013/12/2/5143856/no-girls-allowed

Guys for those interested in how women have been marginalized as far as the target market has always been men for development companies and publishers I suggest you read this article

Its long but very pertinent and gives an objective opinion around this issue. If you understand the history you may be less resistance to the expected change

I liked the page layout and the design sense.

But the author reveals some suspect logic, IMO, very quickly -

"Would it be fair for all the girls to buy princesses and the boys to buy superheroes?" she says, smacking her right hand to her head in exasperation. "Girls want superheroes AND the boys want superheroes!"

She points her index finger and shakes her hand at the pink boxes around her. Occasionally jumbling her words while giving her impassioned speech, she questions why boys and girls need separate toy aisles and why some toys are designated for one gender and not the other. Boys and girls can both like pink, she says. Why do companies have to make boys and girls think that they can only like certain things? Palm open, she hits her right hand on the top of one of the boxes to emphasize her point.

followed by

The stereotype, for example, does not explain why "girls don't play video games." It does not reveal who or what is responsible for it. It does not explain how an industry that started with games like Pong (1972) or the first computer version of Tic-Tac-Toe (1959) came to be responsible for a medium that, for most of its history, hasn't had even an aisle's worth of games for Maida.

Emphasis mine, but isn't "Maida's point" that there shouldn't *be* a distinction (ie there shouldn't be an aisle for Maida, but an aisle for all kids with all kinds of toys), not that there hasn't been enough stuff made for her (to form her own aisle)?

Good post, I am glad you like the article. Its an old one that Alan posted last year but I found it  again recently

To answer your question I see where there is a contradiction in the points you listed. Yes there should be only one aisle that contains games suitable for boys and women. But I think the highlighted part is not what Maida wants, in other words her own aisle, the author is just highlighting the fact that you couldn't full a Maida aisle with games for her  even if you wanted to

There's an implication in the author's statement that the lack of history of a "girl's aisle" in video games (after gender neutrals Pong and Tic-Tac-Toe) is a problem in the industry, but this conceptually misses Maida's point. The author is trying to draw a conclusion from Maida's dissatisfaction in toys and draw a conclusion to gaming that doesn't parallel Maida's thoughts.  Instead the author continues to perpetuate the idea that - unlike what Maida actually wants - what she needs is an aisle of games just for her.  The thing she's saying is wrong with the toy system.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man