Questions to the Devs

You guys seem to be evading the question asked so many times. At least the answers I've seen are far too vague and lack and substance.

Are we going to be able to mod this game (like other LucasArts Star Wars titles) with a developer created tool, or are we going to have to resort to hacking into the thing like with KoTOR 1?

Thay have answered this though. I recall a dev saying KotOR2 won't be any more moddable out of the box than KotOR1 was.

Do the prestige classes work as in D20 game system?  For instance, you can only take up to level 10 of the prestige class until your combined levels are higher than 20.

Also, what is the maximum combined level allowed?

Calling them "prestige" classes might be a misnomer - they work differently than prestige classes in the normal d20 system. That's all I can really say now, we might address it in a future designer diary.

I actually asked that question before a few pages back. I'd be cool if they corrected this in KOTORII. Although I will say that if you are totally ds, some of the dialogue spoken to you by your party members was different in KOTOR1. like Bastila says to you early on something to the effect of "...you've already shown brashness and a complete lack of compassion to this point..." or something like that. but, all in all, you're pretty much treated the same way all game long despite your COMPLETE darkness. until you make The Choice on top of the temple, that is.

and as an aside...I just want to say that the questions in this forum are awesome! i don't even have to ask anything. you guys rawk!! :)

Lightsaber limb-lopping without major re-work idea:

Instead of referencing a damage multiplier on critical hits, reference a new damage table that might include "damage locations" and new damage types. This leaves the basic combat structure intact and adds volumes of combat variety, even if it's only a 10 to 25-effect chart on crit hits it could add tons of new animation combos. (defatk1-secatk2-crit4; defatk2-secatk1-crit5; etc.etc.etc.)

That should be a do-able and let people that want to have their "Jedi Disarms" have them.

Also, please add depth to any romances included. KOTOR did a good job on depth and believability, but it mostly left a sense of incompleteness and a little bit of "aw... that was SO close to cool!", in particular at the endings. Some more personal development, and maybe a little bit of "spicier" flirting that's unlockable via parental controls?

(NOTE: this post may contain questions cleverly disguised in the form of heartfelt pleas) :ph34r:

Thanks!

After watching the E3 trailer, I'm worried...

Searched the forum, didn't see anything that answered this, but I'm sure it's been asked 10000 times.

Will robes look like they did in the first game, or will they look similar to the ones on that female Jedi NPC?

Searched the forum, didn't see anything that answered this, but I'm sure it's been asked 10000 times.

Will robes look like they did in the first game, or will they look similar to the ones on that female Jedi NPC?

Much of the art and skinning hasn't been done yet, not to mention the texturing.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Much of the art and skinning hasn't been done yet, not to mention the texturing.

So I guess that means they haven't answered whether or not the lead badass jedi will look weak or cool? :blink:

Lightsaber limb-lopping without major re-work idea:

Instead of referencing a damage multiplier on critical hits, reference a new damage table that might include "damage locations" and new damage types. This leaves the basic combat structure intact and adds volumes of combat variety, even if it's only a 10 to 25-effect chart on crit hits it could add tons of new animation combos. (defatk1-secatk2-crit4; defatk2-secatk1-crit5; etc.etc.etc

I hope the devs have read that :unsure: I sense that you have already played Fallout 2,haven`t you eh? B)

Life... is strength. That is not to be contested; it seems logical enough. You live; you affect your world

Nope, but I work in technical support and have my PHD in Common Sense. :D

(job offers from obsidian will be gleefully entertained)

KOTOR was the first CRPG I ever really went for. most of the others were just too flat and linear and lacked a reason to really care about your character or NPCs.

This is as close to PnP role-playing as I've ever seen on a electronic game, and I just hope beyond hope that KOTOR II will be the same or better!

most of the others were just too flat and linear

In all due respect, KotOR is about as linear as any RPG on the market. Aside from picking planet order (big deal) you have forced down a very narrow path. Passing up other crpg's because of linearity, then claiming Knights was your saving grace is a bit ironic. B)

maybe i missed this one, but you said that party members will treat you differently depending on gender and behaviour. what about race? is the main character a human again or are other races available?

It's very hard to be polite if you're a cat.

maybe i missed this one, but you said that party members will treat you differently depending on gender and behaviour. what about race? is the main character a human again or are other races available?

just human

Just in the fantasy RPG (ish) genre there is the BG series, now the NWN series, and more.

Umm, the BG series isn't exactly mod friendly. It wasn't supposed to be moddable out of the box, but some crafty people independently created tools for them. To my knowledge, Bioware had nothing to do with that though.

The point is, I don't think it's worth going out of their way to make games moddable. NWN is a game where they did that, but in terms of costs/benefits I don't think it really had that much of an effect. Most people who bough NWN did it for the singleplayer aspect and never even touched the mods.

It's different for shooters and RTS. Those games are more or less based around multiplayer and on-line play and as such the ability to create new maps is far more important (or the devs will have to ship the game with a very large number of maps of their own making) to stop games from going stale. Partly because the average playthrough time is way longer for an RPG than any other game.

When developers make a game that will include toolsets when shipping they have to make sacrifices in other areas. I personally really have little to no interest in a toolset, so for me those sacrifices definitely aren't worth it. NWN, for instance, is one of the worst RPGs I've ever played and a lot of the problems stem from the fact that it was developed with the tool set as a primary focus. I've even tried a few mods but they were all even worse than th OC. I know, I probably only was unlucky when it came to the mods, but they were given high ratings at least.

Now, don't get me wrong, I have nothing against modding. The modding community for BG2 is quite impressive and some of those mods definitely adds a lot to the game. That doesn't change the fact that I played through the game 3 times without mods and definitely got my money's worth out of it even if people hadn't been so crafty.

I don't mind companies making games like NWN either. If they're making a game that caters specifically to the modding audience (or multi player audience) that's great. I won't buy it, but I don't have to either.

What I do mind is when a game that aims for a single player experience gets dilluted. In a world where developers have unlimited funding and unlimited time to make their games, the two wouldn't be mutually exclusive. But I don't think that is the case. You always have to prioritize and I prefer it if they prioritize the single player experience that comes with the game.

Mods mods mods.

You guys seem to be evading the question asked so many times.  At least the answers I've seen are far too vague and lack and substance. 

Are we going to be able to mod this game (like other LucasArts Star Wars titles) with a developer created tool, or are we going to have to resort to hacking into the thing like with KoTOR 1?

Bioware made the claim that Lucas would not allow them because of intellectual property concerns relating to the Star Wars Universe already out there in the form of books, comics, etc.  Said that Lucas wanted to keep the flow of the game from conflicting with the established history. 

I again ask...what of all of the other Star Wars titles which shipped with (or created afterwards) developer created utils?  The precedence does not exist for me to believe that this is the real reason.

We're not evading the question. I've already answered this.

KotOR2 will be no more or less moddable than KotOR1. That is to say, we are not releasing toolsets or anything of the sort. I have no idea about Lucas Art's policy on fan-created content. I do know that making user-end tools is outside the scope of our contract with them.

-Akari

Mods mods mods.

You guys seem to be evading the question asked so many times.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

just human

"teko ni'bota! paada konbe duro novess. be chuka-" ZZZZTTT "aaaargh" SPLAT

translator:

"racist humans! you cannot ignore us duros. i demand-" (lightsaber sound) "aaaaargh" (sound of limb hitting the floor)

It's very hard to be polite if you're a cat.

How is beta testing going to handled. Will Obsidian be handing that out, or will LA get that privilege for some bizaar reason.

And if Obsidian does, how close to KotOR 2:TSL release date will it be.

have you ever heard of lucasarts or a x-box game being handed out for beta testing? I havn't, so I'm guessing no.

For instance, there was the Kit Fisto saber mod that one person made, found in a chest on Manaan, with a freezing attribute, the way he wanted to do it, was with a graphic effect like that of the carbonite projector, only that it only happend with a specific % of the hits like the stun attributes with some of the crystals....but because he had no modders tools, and it was SO DAMNED HARD to do anything because of the lack of them, he had to settle for having the saber show up in the same slot that the Carbonite Projectors did for a droid, which was alot lamer IMHO. :lol:

What makes you think that mod would have been any easier even with Bio's own development tools?

There's no reason to assume that there's any way to put that property on a lightsaber. Maybe there is, maybe there isn't. We don't know.

How is beta testing going to handled. Will Obsidian be handing that out, or will LA get that privilege for some bizaar reason.

And if Obsidian does, how close to KotOR 2:TSL release date will it be.

have you ever heard of lucasarts or a x-box game being handed out for beta testing? I havn't, so I'm guessing no.

There is no harm in asking. ya never know. 8)

Will we have the option of continuing "open-ended" play after the game is "beaten"? Gices us chance to sell all those items and cash that EVERY frickin' crpg gives out on the last level that you never get to use for anything? Save the galaxy, then go on some leisurely sidequest action perhaps?