Questions to the Devs

Will there be force powers that added to your skills

Example:

Force slice

Security

Force repair

have any new skills been added?

This is sort of a half-answer, so bear with me. In KotOR some skills may have felt neglected by the end of the game. In our game we try to make each skill get more "air time", if you will. Ideally speaking if you have bought any particular skill by the end of the game you should feel like you got some good mileage off of it. There will probably be some skills that are more desirable than others (which is almost always inevitable), but all skills should have their moments to shine and be relevant.

-Ferret

seems like you is saying that instead of just one opportunity to get some use out of the repair skill (i.e. upgrading hk-47,) you may get three or four opportunities to use repair.

seems like what you is doing is similar to jedi powers... nothing really different, just more of same.

*shrug*

people liked kotor, so we ain't surprised at the approach being taken... just seemed like despite fact that kotor was fun for lots of folks, there was still much room for improvement too. was hoping for more than a long expansion.

oh well.

HA! Good Fun!

p.s. asking if experience awards is gonna be implemented more along the lines of what j.e. sawyer suggested was plan for jefferson now seems ridiculous to even be mentioning.

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

You know what'd be cool? (Obviously it is my intention to now tell you what I think would be cool, so don't bother guessing. Well you can if you want. I'll put a space between this preface and my suggestion so you can see if you guessed right.)

Right, now my suggestion of what would be cool, for those of you still reading, is that you could buy dyes and gear (Kind of like in Hordes of the Underdark. Well OK, pretty much exactly like that.) and modify the colours of your garments. And armours. And stuff. That would be rad.

You know what'd be cool? (Obviously it is my intention to now tell you what I think would be cool, so don't bother guessing. Well you can if you want. I'll put a space between this preface and my suggestion so you can see if you guessed right.)

Right, now my suggestion of what would be cool, for those of you still reading, is that you could buy dyes and gear (Kind of like in Hordes of the Underdark. Well OK, pretty much exactly like that.) and modify the colours of your garments. And armours. And stuff. That would be rad.

Agreed. A lot of the color schemes in KOTOR sucked royal arse. I hope theres plenty more styles of armor/clothes too. Because the 3 in KOTOR weren't all that nice.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

More from Gorth's Big Pile of Questions... :p

• Will mouselook be improved, as in not having to keep the right mousebutton down to release the pointer for point-and-click operations (make it toggle the release instead?)?
  • Will it be possible to get even a slightly larger field of view in the y-axis? I cannot count the number of times I moved the mouse back and forth in vain attempts to look up from the ground, or down from the streets of Taris. I can do it when watching from first person perspective. Doing it from third person perspective would have been nice.
  • Will people ever get scared in combat and run away when their side is getting a good stomping?
  • Speaking of which, will there be "sniper" type opponents who will try to keep out of reach of your melee attacks while taking pot-shots at you?
  • Will opponents figure out how to use stealth devices?
  • Will there be unarmed fighting styles (like DnD monks)?
  • Will there be mixed dual wield options, like a blaster pistol in one hand and a vibro blade in the other? My (anti-)hero really missed his usual approach to combat with gun blazing and brandishing a blade
  • Some &^%$ cheated me out of 20 bucks for a backstage pass to the band. Will there be npc's who use persuade, intimidate etc. against me, whether I want it or not? Could be sort of fun...

Back to thinking mode... B)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

[*]Will it be possible to get even a slightly larger field of view in the y-axis? I cannot count the number of times I moved the mouse back and forth in vain attempts to look up from the ground, or down from the streets of Taris. I can do it when watching from first person perspective. Doing it from third person perspective would have been nice.

Yes.

[*]Will there be mixed dual wield options, like a blaster pistol in one hand and a vibro blade in the other? My (anti-)hero really missed his usual approach to combat with gun blazing and brandishing a blade.

Sorry, no. The overhead that would add to the already busy animators would be too much, I think. Not to mention a number of other technical limitations with the engine.

[*]Speaking of which, will there be "sniper" type opponents who will try to keep out of reach of your melee attacks while taking pot-shots at you?

No. There was a discussion about this sort've behavior when I was adding more variety to the enemy AI routines, but the consensus was that this wouldn't work too good in KotOR's combat.

[*]Will opponents figure out how to use stealth devices?

In what way? You mean in a 'sneak up on you' sort've way? Maybe. Otherwise, I'm not sure what else they could do with them, since you can't stealth while in combat, and that's generally the mode you're in when around opponents anyway.

-Akari

I feel that the interface and inventory on the PC could have used a lot more tweaking, and (I admit a bigger task) the PC could have coped with a lot of the levels being merged together just fine.

The PC interface hasn't been worked on extensively yet, so there isn't much I can say about it. But I do know that we'll not likely merge the levels together for the PC version, even though most PCs could probably handle it.

Merging the levels would nearly be the same as starting them from scratch (for the artists as well as the designers and scripting). I don't know how your experience was, but I found the loadtimes for KotOR1 on the PC to be pretty negligible, and I have a pretty old computer at home. :)

-Akari

Is there going to be any expanded fiction in the game? Histories, faction details etc. for those who aren't famliar with the Star Wars EU.

the less kotor2 relies on known star wars elements, the better. bio set kotor 4000 years in past... and they still had to contend with fans and lucas being all slavish to canon.

heck, Gromnir thought EU stood for European Union 'fore we seen the bio star wars boards.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Any chance you guys will move the combat interface from above the player's head to the bottom of the screen or somewhere else? It kinda ruins the immersion with that thing appearing over your head during combat. Since KOTOR was all about the cinematic experience I think it would be a good move, furthermore, how hard could it be to unlock the interface from the characters head and place it at the bottom of the screen?

Will there be less swords? Please.

Will opponents figure out how to use stealth devices?

In what way? You mean in a 'sneak up on you' sort've way? Maybe. Otherwise, I'm not sure what else they could do with them, since you can't stealth while in combat, and that's generally the mode you're in when around opponents anyway.

-Akari

I'm just being stupid. There were already two groups of Mandalorians who used that, that I can remember from the top of my head (Kashyyk and the Temple Entrance). Those ambushes was actually somewhat similar to what I had in mind. :ph34r:

Thanks for the answers. :rolleyes:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Is there going to be any expanded fiction in the game? Histories, faction details etc. for those who aren't famliar with the Star Wars EU.

the less kotor2 relies on known star wars elements, the better. bio set kotor 4000 years in past... and they still had to contend with fans and lucas being all slavish to canon.

heck, Gromnir thought EU stood for European Union 'fore we seen the bio star wars boards.

HA! Good Fun!

True, but there were things mentioned in Kotor 1 like Empress Teta, the great hyperspace war, krath and other things I'd never heard of. Not to mention Exar Kun. If Kotor 2 is going to be referencing things like that then some description of what these things are would be useful.

I know i have asked this like 4 times already but will planet size be increased?

While I can't really answer that, the gamestop interview mentions:

"the scope of the sith lords is very similar to the first game for the overall story arc and the amount of game play time it will have"

"Also the same number of worlds"

So if gameplay time and # of worlds is the same, then the world size seems like it would be similar

Questions I have

-If you choose to go down the drak side can you tattoo your body a la Darth Maul?

-Will there be different hilts in KOTOR 2, and if so will there be archaic curved hilts that can connect into a joined, S-shaped hilt, becoming a double-bladed lightsaber? a la Asajj Ventress

Any chance you guys will move the combat interface from above the player's head to the bottom of the screen or somewhere else? It kinda ruins the immersion with that thing appearing over your head during combat. Since KOTOR was all about the cinematic experience I think it would be a good move, furthermore, how hard could it be to unlock the interface from the characters head and place it at the bottom of the screen?

from CGW: "and fading out the user interface on the main game screen when you're not in combat so that you get a less-cluttered, more "full screen" presentation while exploring the world"

Well, since I wouldn't be me without asking this question, here goes:

Will KOTOR2 have ninjas?

Err, and are you planning to add automatic blasters? Repeating blasters was teh suck, to be frank.

"McDonald's taste damn good. I'd rtahe reat their wonderful food then the poisonous junk you server in your house that's for sure.

What's funny is I'm not fat. In fact, I'm skinny. Though I am as healthy as cna be. Outside of being very ugly, and the common cold once in the blue moon I simply don't get sick."

- Volourn, Slayer of Yrkoon!

"I want a Lightsaber named Mr. Zappy" -- Darque

"I'm going to call mine Darque. Then I can turn Darque on anytime I want." -- GhostofAnakin

I was talking about the original KotOR with a friend last night and he had a great question/suggestion.

Is there a button that will toggle a hot switch between melee and range weapons? So have a weapons 1 and a weapons 2 on the inventory screen, which could be switched either through one button or maybe as a paused action so you don't have to go through all the inventory and take an annoying chunk of time to switch.

Here is an important question:

Will NPCs do as they are instructed to do or will their stupid AIs have them run off somewhere and attack random enemies totally ruining any sort of strategy that I was trying to set up?

I was talking about the original KotOR with a friend last night and he had a great question/suggestion.

Is there a button that will toggle a hot switch between melee and range weapons? So have a weapons 1 and a weapons 2 on the inventory screen, which could be switched either through one button or maybe as a paused action so you don't have to go through all the inventory and take an annoying chunk of time to switch.

Yes. I believe there will be such a function, actually.

"McDonald's taste damn good. I'd rtahe reat their wonderful food then the poisonous junk you server in your house that's for sure.

What's funny is I'm not fat. In fact, I'm skinny. Though I am as healthy as cna be. Outside of being very ugly, and the common cold once in the blue moon I simply don't get sick."

- Volourn, Slayer of Yrkoon!

"I want a Lightsaber named Mr. Zappy" -- Darque

"I'm going to call mine Darque. Then I can turn Darque on anytime I want." -- GhostofAnakin

A "quick button" will be added to the action menu to "instantly switch weapon configurations"