Star Wars Episode 7 Thread

Bokishi

How is that lightsaber any worse then this lightsaber?

double.jpg

You really have to ask?

While the above lightsaber was indeed downright cheese, the new one is far far worse.

I'll wager a lot that the lightsabers are going to be good representatives of overall movie quality.

Despite what some are saying here, I'll also wager a lot that the new movies are going to make the prequels look good. They'll be so bad we might even miss Jar Jar. Kinda like Bush and Obama made many of us miss Clinton.

Edited by Valsuelm

Just when you thought a Star Wars movie couldn't get any worse than with Lucas in full creative control, they show lightsabers that makes you laugh for all the wrong reasons. I think my interest died just there and then >_

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Start of trailer makes me think it's a comedy,

I have to be honest, when Boyega's face jumps into frame, all I was thinking was the combing of the desert from Spaceballs. I half expected him to go "WE AIN'T FOUND ****!" :lol:

Beat you to it

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

JJAbrams was basically pitching himself to make a SW film with the Star Trek film he made. That's exactly the kind of film the new SW is going to be. I'm 90% sure he'll make a better film than the prequels... although anyone could probably do that.

On the other hand his Star Trek film was passable but forgettable. 

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

I never had a problem with the double bladed lightsaber. It could become two separate weapons or you could keep it as is and use it like a staff which would introduce new fighting forms.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

I never had a problem with the double bladed lightsaber. It could become two separate weapons or you could keep it as is and use it like a staff which would introduce new fighting forms.

Yeah...no that's bs. The new one with the hilt and the double sided one are equally stupid if you consider their applications in fighting, all it boils down to is taste.

Because the "hilt" will break if it ever serves its purpose.

Assuming it is really meant to be a hilt, and not some kind of bizarre small side-daggers. Who knows?

And the hilt won't break on the double sided one?

You really have to ask?

While the above lightsaber was indeed downright cheese, the new one is far far worse.

I'll wager a lot that the lightsabers are going to be good representatives of overall movie quality.

Despite what some are saying here, I'll also wager a lot that the new movies are going to make the prequels look good. They'll be so bad we might even miss Jar Jar. Kinda like Bush and Obama made many of us miss Clinton.

Yeah I don't really see how connecting a lightsaber to the whole movie being bad works. Both lightsabers are stupid as far as usability goes, so it boils down to being a matter of taste and as we know not all people share the same tastes.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

A lightsaber is a nonsensical weapon in itself so I don't understand how any variation of it can be any worse. A meter long welding torch that's designed to cut in every direction is just as dangerous to the user as to everyone else. Its an accident waiting to happen.

That's if we're to use reason to think about it (which is kinda pointless).

• Like 1

A lightsaber is a nonsensical weapon in itself so I don't understand how any variation of it can be any worse. A meter long welding torch that's designed to cut in every direction is just as dangerous to the user as to everyone else. Its an accident waiting to happen.

That's if we're to use reason to think about it (which is kinda pointless).

I would tend to agree, but people here are really focusing on it, so I thought I could give my 2 cents on it.

Because the "hilt" will break if it ever serves its purpose.

Assuming it is really meant to be a hilt, and not some kind of bizarre small side-daggers. Who knows?

And the hilt won't break on the double sided one?

I'm sorry, not being a native English speaker I confused the words "hilt" and "cross-guard". I meant that the cross-guard will break if it ever serves its purpose. Does that make things clearer?

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

I'm sorry, not being a native English speaker I confused the words "hilt" and "cross-guard". I meant that the cross-guard will break if it ever serves its purpose. Does that make things clearer?

Yes it's clearer now, but still doesn't make it anymore practical then the double sided one. I think people are getting riled up over nothing.

How is that lightsaber any worse then this lightsaber?

double.jpg

That's somewhat practical, fight like you would with a staff, sort of anyway.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Yes it's clearer now, but still doesn't make it anymore practical then the double sided one. I think people are getting riled up over nothing.

I think the difference is that most people consider the double-bladed saber dumb but cool as it provides two sides for cutting, but consider this just dumb and not cool because it literally does nothing? I dunno, I said it looked dumb when the art leaked. :p

*looks at pictures, reads the posts since earlier this afternoon*
This thread is full of win. Especially Lexx's 'shopped lightsaber pic.

...as to JJ, I think that's why I figure they might be a tad better than the prequels. I did find his Star Treks at least visually entertaining in that bombastic, short attention span action way. Not that I think of them as Star Trek, mind you.

Whereas the SW prequels just made me frown or groan 99% of the time. That 1% wasn't too bad, tho. :biggrin:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Point being that things can never get really interesting because you have to be able to bring your 8 year old daughter. (I have an imaginary 8 year old daughter now, how about that)

That is a pretty important point to make though, the real target for these movies is a new generation of children, not a bunch of grumpy old folks.  

I disagree. I expect this movie is being made for me personally as a native Grumpy-American. 

Also, pure fan art from current all-time favorite, Phil Noto:

tumblr_nfsbxl5pA51qhyhwto1_500_zpscdd379

• Like 3

All Stop. On Screen.

1N3dYGg.gif

One of those times someone thinks something is cool and no one dares say "Nope".

• Like 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Technically it could only use Makeshi and Shii Cho effectively and maybe Juyo. Anything else and you end up cutting yourself...edgy Sith with their Linkin Park and their makeup.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

A lightsaber is a nonsensical weapon in itself

True, it cannot even hit stuff

1N3dYGg.gif

Reminds me of myself when, just as I'm about to fall asleep, a mosquito buzzes right next to my ear.

• Like 2

These are words that fantasy aficienados should know. Some of the common designations confuse native speakers as well.

450px-Sword_parts_no_scabbard.PNG

That one doesn't have ricasso

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Haha, that fake trailer is hilarious. That's the great thing about bad movies/media...they may be bad, but they keep giving the gift of laughter, so it's ok. :biggrin:

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts