Why is there no world cup thread ?

Gorgon

Pretty fun game to watch so far.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Wow, 3-1.  Didn't see that coming.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Shouldn't have bothered with Costa.  Kind of want Holland to crash out hard later based on people's gloating over Spain losing.

Good for me though, I picked Holland to win this group in the pool. :lol:

Shouldn't have bothered with Costa.  Kind of want Holland to crash out hard later based on people's gloating over Spain losing.

Don't worry, I haven't been wrong so far:

All it does it make me angry, whether through awful referees or my national team getting everyone's hopes up by playing amazingly well at the start of the tournament and then transforming into a hurricane of failure when it actually matters.

Go, Holland!! 5-1 so far!! :w00t:

I have to say this is a very unexpected, but pleasing, result :thumbsup:

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Just loved it how the Dutch destroyed Spain. 

First penalty was a farce by that disgusting Costa, like they don't have enough of those, now they import them from Brazil also. 

But the referees are awful. First three games made me wanna vomit. 

Edited by Hildegard

I'm a bit of a football eedjit, but didn't Holland show some superb tactical awareness?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

And some garbage defense by Spain. Missing Puyol I suppose. Now to watch Chile ruin Australia

Now to watch Chile ruin Australia

As predicted, the Socceroos are getting whooped up so far.

Edit:  Woot!  Soccerros stirke and close the gap to 2-1.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Holding strong too. Impressive.

Well, the Socceroos lost but they can hold their heads high.  They gave a good performance, especially after those first 15 minutes when it looked like they were going to get run out of the stadium.  They made Chile sweat right down to the end.

Also, Spain is currently last in Group B after getting taken to the woodshed by the Dutch.  :lol:

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

The Dutch have been waiting 4 years for that whooping. Plus isn't is sweet to defeat a country they have historical bad blood with? Yeah I know that was centuries ago but still. Kansas and Missouri college games are still a big deal here for that very reason. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Go, Holland!! 5-1 so far!! :w00t:

I have to say this is a very unexpected, but pleasing, result :thumbsup:

Result is otherwise very good but if it didn't also mean that my bet failed miserably :(

Elerond I am sorry you lost money but gambling is a vice and sin and you shouldn't be doing it, let this be an important lesson going forward !!! :biggrin:

Don't worry, I haven't been wrong so far:

All it does it make me angry, whether through awful referees or my national team getting everyone's hopes up by playing amazingly well at the start of the tournament and then transforming into a hurricane of failure when it actually matters.

So TN do you think you are going to get behind your team for the rest of the World Cup, nothing quite like an amazing and unexpected victory to increase that patriotic fervour

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

So TN do you think you are going to get behind your team for the rest of the World Cup, nothing quite like an amazing and unexpected victory to increase that patriotic fervour

I wouldn't support the England team these days if we were at war.

With nazi ewoks who dive in the penalty box.

Edited by Walsingham

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.