What's on the idiot box... Part 3

Rosbjerg

Watching TWD right now.

"I hate apple sauce." ...  lol

...car won't start, OF COURSE.

...oh Rick, you're so stubborn.

...go Glen! But eww...

Well that was a decent episode. Not the best, but a good one.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Julie Andrews, Lady Gaga, best tribute, most honest tears from a legend. 

Most statuesque, untouchable female, tie, Cate Blanchett, Gwyneth Paltrow. 

Handsomest white jacket, Cumberbatch.

Best speech, tie, Julianne Moore, Alejandro González Iñárritu. Gingers and Mexicans, boom! 

All Stop. On Screen.

I'd say I won my office Oscar pool. 

Why anyone would bet against Vegas is beyond me. Good thing no one else in my pool are degenerate gamblers like me and wouldn't know how to look up the odds.

• Like 1

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

I'm surprised American Sniper didn't win any of the big prizes considering how popular it was. But I didn't watch the show. I'd rather was bugs fly into a zapper or something like that.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

American Sniper was too popular and suffered backlash. I'm surprised Bradley Cooper didn't win the best actor for it, though. On the other hand, I think J.K. Simmons should have won because I considered him one of the leads of Whiplash rather than supporting, but I guess he won the oscar for supporting actor so it's all good.

Best animated shortfilm had a dutch entry that didn't win. Too bad, I know some of the people who made it and they deserved it.

Too popular isn't quite the right phrase for it, imo. The academy are capable of voting for popular movies (such as the really quite rubbish Return of the King, by far the worst of the three lotr films, Titanic) but there'd be a fair few people there who would find the more gung ho/ war pr0n aspects of it distasteful in a way they wouldn't find, say, The Hurt Locker to be. Kind of like what happened with Zero Dark Thirty.

God, the amount of examples you just gave off the top of your head makes me sad. How many "smart/unique person solves the police case" episodic dramas do we need?

Apparently, an infinite amount of them. They've been doing them in droves for decades and decades and decades.

It is interesting how the dramatic crime/mystery show has been such as staple and so popular for seemingly forever. Different eras do them differently, but they're still basically the same concept. Guess humans just love a good detective mystery!**

**long live Columbo!

"Oh...just one more thing.  I don't mean to be a bother, really.  But you know my great uncle Louie once said..."

I'm still a firm favourite of the Nero Wolf Mysteries that ran at the start of 2000, Maury Chaykin and Timothy Hutton perfectly captured the lead roles.

But yes, there's that holy trinity for tv produces isn't there? Cops (detectives) / lawyers / doctors - the standard that you can base nearly any show around.

"It was as if a serpent had entangled my legs!"

Thing I thought really worked on that show was the repertorie approach - so many of the same actors showed up every week it became difficult to guess who might be the killer (unlike a lot of shows where the murderer and/or the victim is always the biggest guest star).

What was that new show about a zombie that retained self-awareness and works at a police coroner where she eats brains that give her the memories of the victims which she uses to help the police solve the cases?

I'm not making this up. I can't recall the name but it is an honest to god real TV show.

Veronica Mars' Rob Thomas and Diane Ruggerio are behind it which means it'll get a look from me for the pilot at least.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Yeah, I never did understand the win for Return of the King. It's a third of a movie! I just rationalize it as them giving it the win for the entire series rather than that specific part.

I think this is exactly what happened. When you compare LotR with what was being made during that timeframe is was an achievement but really only if you consider the whole project as one thing.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I'm still a firm favourite of the Nero Wolf Mysteries that ran at the start of 2000, Maury Chaykin and Timothy Hutton perfectly captured the lead roles.

But yes, there's that holy trinity for tv produces isn't there? Cops (detectives) / lawyers / doctors - the standard that you can base nearly any show around.

"It was as if a serpent had entangled my legs!"

Thing I thought really worked on that show was the repertorie approach - so many of the same actors showed up every week it became difficult to guess who might be the killer (unlike a lot of shows where the murderer and/or the victim is always the biggest guest star).

It also helped that the troupe was made up of some damn fine actors. Colin Fritz, Conrad Dunn, Saul Rubinek, Bill Smitrovich, Kari Matchett, Debra  Monk, and Ron Rifkin to name but a few.

And it had plenty of amusing lines..

http://youtu.be/mgecY8oAkwU

Edited by Raithe
  • Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

^Yeah it was a very good cast all around.  And they adapted Rex Stout's stories very well as well.

It is probably my favorite classic mystery-detective tv series (closely followed by a sentimental favorite, the short-lived Ellery Queen series from the 70s which starred Nero Wolfe's Timothy Hutton's dad, Jim Hutton and Ellery)

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Kinda miffed that Book of Life and Lego Movie weren't even nominated for best animated, as those were my two favorites from last year. Big Hero Six and How to Train Your Dragon 2 were both good, but not as good as either of those IMO.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

American Sniper was too popular and suffered backlash. I'm surprised Bradley Cooper didn't win the best actor for it, though. On the other hand, I think J.K. Simmons should have won because I considered him one of the leads of Whiplash rather than supporting, but I guess he won the oscar for supporting actor so it's all good.

Well that, and it surfaced that the hero of the story was actually a bit of a scumbag. Twitter comments and things he wrote in the book.  It's understandable that there was a strong reaction in the arab world. Also the movie showed him shooting women and children in two scenes where he was pretty much vindicated Jack Bauer style. "I don't want to, but I'll have to saw off your arms to save the world and CTU'. You get the picture. 

It would have been smarter to have left that one to interpretation. 

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Kinda miffed that Book of Life and Lego Movie weren't even nominated for best animated, as those were my two favorites from last year. Big Hero Six and How to Train Your Dragon 2 were both good, but not as good as either of those IMO.

I haven't seen Book of Life, but I figure the Lego movie might not have been eligable due to the live action sequences.

I haven't seen Book of Life, but I figure the Lego movie might not have been eligable due to the live action sequences.

Unless it's been changed, the eligibility rule used to be "a motion picture of at least 70 minutes in running time where a significant number of the major characters in the film are animated, and animation figures in no less than 75% of the picture's running time." I think THE LEGO MOVIE MEETS both, surely the LA couldn't accounte for more than 25% of its running time.

Finally got to the end of Crossing Lines, season 2. The first couple of episodes were a bit lackluster for me but then it picked up, although not as good as 1st season. But then the final episode .... GAH. Me no like. Too much at once and too flimsy.  And the rumor is Fichtner won't be in Season 3 so my main reason for watching will be gone. I think that's it for me.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Finally got to the end of Crossing Lines, season 2. The first couple of episodes were a bit lackluster for me but then it picked up, although not as good as 1st season. But then the final episode .... GAH. Me no like. Too much at once and too flimsy.  And the rumor is Fichtner won't be in Season 3 so my main reason for watching will be gone. I think that's it for me.

I kind of enjoyed watching it for the performances of the actors.. and for the really silly way it looks at Europe and the Police. Something about that just amused me.

My brother told me that season 3 of Vikings has started so I have to check that out.

yes   :dancing:  :dancing:

I love Vikings

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Well, we have Vikings. We have Pirates (at least two shows).  How long before we get shows about Ninjas and/or Catgirls?

• Like 1

Well, we have Vikings. We have Pirates (at least two shows).  How long before we get shows about Ninjas and/or Catgirls?

That reminds me, I tried an episode of Puss N Boots series Netflix was airing. I thought for sure I'd at least like the Puss N Boots chr. bits if nothing else.

I didn't. Although in fairness I had a difficult time focusing on the actual show/dialoge because I kept focusing on the fact the animation of Puss N Boots seemed completely different from the films or Shrek holiday specials. Facial movement was off in a creepy way, like watching a doppelganger that you know is a doppelganger. Bugged the heck out of me. Turned it off.