Music... must go on...

Gorth

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

The bass guitar gets overlooked so often, and usually with good reason as it's some half-assed musician just playing the power chord notes an octave down that the guitar is playing.  Then you get a virtuoso like Geddy Lee.  Here is a really talented bass guitarist disecting the insane complexity of the sick instrumental "Leave That Thing Alone".  This guy is extremely talented, and even he can't exaclt relicate one part of the song, because what Geddy does, routinely, I might add, is so ridiculous,  Regardless, he goes through the insane arpeggios, key changes, and so on that Geddy does like it's no big deal to drop down this BOSS AS **** bassline.

Here is Geedy & Co. throwing it down themselves.  Pay attenition to how many variations and extra arpeggios Geddy throws in there like they're nothing, on top of an already ridiculously complex instrumental, just because he can:

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Here's Yes ~ Roundabout.  I'm not going to search around forf an isolated bass track.  Chris Squire is, in my opinion, one of the more underrated bassists out there, my man can lay down anything, but no nead to isolate the bass, you can clearly hear the phattness of the bass in the whole track:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Tdu4uKSZ3M&feature=kp

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

♫ 

Feel the sweat break on my brow

Is it me or is it shadows that are

Dancing on the walls.

Is this dream or is it now

Is this a vision or normality I see

Before my eyes.

I wonder why I wonder how

That it seems the powers getting stronger

Every day

I feel a strength an inner fire

But I'm scared I won't be able to control it anymore

♫ 

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Flea and Chad Smith droppin' down the rhythym:

Imagine being the drummer and having to keep up with Flea's accents?

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Some instrumental songs sound absolutely incredible when they're slowed down and stretched

Edited by Woldan
  • Like 1

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

A most interesting effect. I'm not familiar with the original song, but it seems to sound quite good for a song being played roughly at 1/4th its normal speed. My own tests make their own interesting cases, too - it's only unfortunate that it tends to leave you with gigantically long songs... :p

Songs with drums (or other heavy bass instruments) seem to fare poorly. So do songs with long, heavy notes. Interesting and fun.  :)

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Yeah, drums/bass and stretching/slowing doesn't work, at low speeds drums turn into something that sounds like heavy breathing.   :grin:  Try sounds with lots of guitar riffs and synthesizers in it, with very little bass and drums, those work especially well. 
But its fun to speed up and slow down songs, some sound great at slower speeds.  

Brian Eno's famous track ''The big ship'' slowed down to 1/8th of its original speed, skip to 7:30, the first couple of minutes are boring but then it gets pretty epic.

And here the original, at normal speed.

Edited by Woldan
  • Like 2

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet.