RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

LadyCrimson

Oculus Rift trademark being disputed by Oculu

Apparently Oculu has no problem with any of the other businesses basing their name on the word "ocular" and doesn't quite understand what the Oculus Rift actually is.

Ooh, even better, there's a business called Oculus Inc. Guess it'd be a bit hard for Oculu  to go after them since they were founded before the technology that makes Oculu possible was invented.

Edited by TSBasilisk
  • Like 1

Tigranes: Holy Moses! You literally garrotted Garrett! I'm indeed taking a risk, but at least it looks neat. If it is anywhere near Dishonored, it certainly will do.

Hey, if it looks good to you, you should get it. I'm not out to contest that. From what I've seen it's a lot closer to Dishonoured and Assassin's Creed than Thief - so as long as people know what they're getting.

E.g. see 15.30-16.30 here:

If that looks cool, go for it. (Obviously this isn't representative, just an egregious example) For me, it's the complete opposite of a Thief game in just about every single way, so I'm not interested, and it's just a pity someone couldn't go and make an actual Thief game.

Tigranes: Holy Moses! You literally garrotted Garrett! I'm indeed taking a risk, but at least it looks neat. If it is anywhere near Dishonored, it certainly will do.

Hey, if it looks good to you, you should get it. I'm not out to contest that. From what I've seen it's a lot closer to Dishonoured and Assassin's Creed than Thief - so as long as people know what they're getting.

Its a bit difficult to be positive about a game after someone has so thoroughly and analytically pointed why that particular game is not good, remember Tigranes you can be quite convincing when you make a point and as I always say " with great power comes great responsibility ( they copied that line from me to use in a Spider Man movie )

8)

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I actually got this game already in some AMD "chose 3 games" bundle or something for 30 or so dollar, I think. It was around the end of december 2013, so I am not 100% sure anymore about the price... For the game beeing not even released yet it was super cheap, though. Makes me not worying a lot about the games quality.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I'm a bit of a masochist when it comes to games like Dishonored. It should be tough and sneaky. I was going for all those clean hands and no kills and no alarms rung and nobody even noticing I was there kind of playthroughs. I try to immerse myself in the game, headphones and all, just for a big dose of escapism and thrill. I play them slow and thoroughly. I like horror adventures as well, even the simple point and click ones. If Dead Space came in a rogue-like, sneak by them all and discover horrific truths, I'd buy that in a heartbeat. :)

Given all this, I think this new variant of Thief may suit me quite fine, but it could be a dud too.

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

It's great on both accounts! After my sneaky playthroughs, I always go for action ones, and then it feels so much more satisfying to go on a killing spree. I've even gone on a serious cheevo-hunting in that game. Some are pretty hard to get, and I've done all those challenging maps in that special City Trials dlc. You may call me an expert. 8)

Edited by IndiraLightfoot
  • Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I'm a bit of a masochist when it comes to games like Dishonored. It should be tough and sneaky. I was going for all those clean hands and no kills and no alarms rung and nobody even noticing I was there kind of playthroughs. I try to immerse myself in the game, headphones and all, just for a big dose of escapism and thrill. I play them slow and thoroughly. I like horror adventures as well, even the simple point and click ones. If Dead Space came in a rogue-like, sneak by them all and discover horrific truths, I'd buy that in a heartbeat. :)

Given all this, I think this new variant of Thief may suit me quite fine, but it could be a dud too.

Did you use Blink?

1.13 killed off Ja2.

It depends on which of my playthroughs. I did one only Muscle and Steel or what it was called, and then you were only allowed to use Blink 1. No other magic at all. At the highest difficulty, that was far from easy, and I got the achievement. :)

And blink is of course used in a few of the City Trials challenges as well.

P.S. I loved Dishonored so much that I even did a Dishonored playthrough in Skyrim via a mod. :)

Who cares about achievements, blink is one big cheat. The play should never have something like it at his disposal.

Let me see now...

You're telling a game that it shouldn't have a feature that is central to the plot and its game system? You do know that Dishonored is not Thief4? Dishonored is literally steeped in dark witchcraft and the Outsider. it belongs there, and it really did contribute in making that a sweet and fun and successful new IP. :)

• Like 3

Hehe, insane for life, here I come! :w00t:

And so per definition it can't be cheating, it's just part of what makes this game fun (to me, at least). And for the record, Dishonored is like the game that made me like achievements. Usually, I was just like you, I gave them a big shrug, but some of the cheevos in this game are superfun to try to get.

P.S. My last avatar here was even Granny Rags as a young woman, so I am a fan. It does show, huh? Scary fact: I have well over 100 hours invested in Dishonored. That's more than I have in Skyrim. :geek:

If any of you guys need any guidance when playing Dishonored, I'm your go-to guy.

• Like 2

You are insane.

Majek it seem like you didn't understand the gameplay and design choices of Dishonored, it happens sometimes. There was nothing incongruous about Blink, it was a perfectly acceptable ability to use as an assassin. I used it all the time

• Like 2

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Just to honour Dishonored and to spook Majek a bit, I've returned as a seemingly benevolent Granny Rags. :)

Gosh! I can't wait till Dishonored 2. It will be such a treat, I just know it! :yes:

• Like 2

Just to honour Dishonored and to sppok Majek a bit, I've returned as a seemingly benevolent Granny Rags. :)

Gosh! I can't wait till Dishonored 2. It will be such a treat, I just know it! :yes:

:lol: "seemingly benevolent Granny Rags"

Is this through a Mod when you say you've become Granny Rags?

John Milton 

Nah. I just meant my avatar here, unfortunately. But there are some mighty witches in Dishonored, and playing one would be a dream come true. There are powerful female assassins too, not too mention their queen and the aristocracy in general. Still, Dunwall is pretty much a man's world.

200px-Billie03.png

EDIT: Btw, no scanty dresses for most of the powerful female characters (except a certain witch, I won't spoil that, though).

• Like 1

Just to honour Dishonored and to spook Majek a bit, I've returned as a seemingly benevolent Granny Rags. :)

You are going to wait a while, as the devs are not even sure if they are doing a sequel to dishonored next.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/15/dishonored-developer-discusses-next-project

• Like 2

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

You are going to wait a while, as the devs are not even sure if they are doing a sequel to dishonored next.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/15/dishonored-developer-discusses-next-project

Good article, I wish for an Arx Fatalis 2.

I am going to buy this game on GOG so I can play it again, I never finished it the first time because back when I played it there was something wrong with the CD and I couldn't get another copy

John Milton 

Arkane Studios are extremely talented. They create fantastic game atmospheres, an art in its own right!

Sarex: I know, I know... and, well, I lied. I can wait, as there will be so many great games coming out this year and the next. Pillars of Eternity being the pinnacle, probably. :)

P.S. There aren't many games, where you can sneakily follow a bulky guy that hauls it out, spit a booger and whistles while he's taking a leak, and then just slit his throat and let him gurgle in a pool of his own urine. Priceless! ;)

Arkane Studios are extremely talented. They create fantastic game atmospheres, an art in its own right!

Sarex: I know, I know... and, well, I lied. I can wait, as there will be so many great games coming out this year and the next. Pillars of Eternity being the pinnacle, probably. :)

P.S. There aren't many games, where you can sneakily follow a bulky guy that hauls it out, spit a booger and whistles while he's taking a leak, and then just slit his throat and let him gurgle in a pool of his own urine. Priceless! ;)

I agree, this year will be a treat, I am even interested in seeing what becomes of Torment. But first, bring on Castlevania LoS2, that demo really psyched me up for the game.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Who cares about achievements, blink is one big cheat. The play should never have something like it at his disposal.

It is a pretty strong ability, especially when guards can't look up.  Heh, the last level where I decided to screw stealth and just kill everyone was funny, I think there was a pile of 14 bodies at one point, guards just ran to the corpse and looked around - drop, kill, blink back up, repeat.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra