The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt [2014]

Rosbjerg

I'm hoping for some news on Alvin/Jacques personally and why Eredin wanted him, though I don't believe that import decision is carried over since you can save and import anywhere from the White Frost onwards.

Jacques had Elder Blood, no?

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

No it isn't and no it won't. I agree with Keyrock total clickbait, unlike Bryy I have a lot of time for CDPR as with GOG and their unrivalled support of their games they seem to be the good guys (refreshing in this industry) but these articles are always utterly ludicrous.

I love GOG.

But you're not going to convince me CDP are not the hipsters of the industry. 

• Like 1

@Bryy: I shall not try to sir, your mind and opinions are your own.

@Drudanae: It's unclear, some ascribe him as a relative of Cirilla and her lineage (an unknown bastard or somesuch) while others argue he is just another Source, a powerful reality bending sorcerer. CDPR left it unresolved, though personally I suspect the former.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

But you're not going to convince me CDP are not the hipsters of the industry. 

Quote from CDPR's blog:

Got depressed today. TWitcher 2 passed 3 million sales. Why are people still buying it? We didn't want it to appeal to the masses, it was a niche product aimed at people with taste and discretion and now all the mainstream people keep buying it. Must make sure that nobody buys TWitchers by, uh, comparing it to Skyrim, saying how large and how much variety there will be, how big it will be and how it will generally be totally awesome, plus have a free weekend for the previous 2 titles on steam. That should keep those dirty unwashed proles away from our beautiful piece of art!

They really aren't hipsters, but they certainly are PR savvy- that's why using one of those vile extortion joints to counter piracy was rather an odd misjudgement. All the stuff they say is aimed specifically at appealing to or growing their target audience. I have no doubt they would, for example, happily charge for DLC if they felt it was in their best interest, they'd just go old school and call them 'expansions' to make it more palatable.

Can't say I really care much about it, companies will PR, it's part of what they do. If it happens to improve my experience and meet with my expectations that's certainly better than something that's PR and doesn't improve my experience or meet expectations.

• Like 3

No it isn't and no it won't. I agree with Keyrock total clickbait, unlike Bryy I have a lot of time for CDPR as with GOG and their unrivalled support of their games they seem to be the good guys (refreshing in this industry) but these articles are always utterly ludicrous.

Edit: To be honest I don't believe the two titles will bear that much similarity, so I can't see where competition would arise anyway, though I can see a lot of Bethesda hikers being a little put out with a set protagonist and a story, choice and consequence heavy game rather than the usual accesible sandbox.

The reality is that headline is misleading. Did  CPR really say that so specifically in the article? I think the other information about the overall development around W3 is much more relevant and interesting

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

• 2 weeks later...

Can't say I really care much about it, companies will PR, it's part of what they do. If it happens to improve my experience and meet with my expectations that's certainly better than something that's PR and doesn't improve my experience or meet expectations.

Of course.  They're a business, they need to sell their product.  If they didn't, they wouldn't be a very successful business.

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

• 2 weeks later...

If the Witcher 3 gives me an ending with the options being red, green, or blue, I'm going to lose it.

Most be the 3 in the title -- This explains why BioWare didn't call Dragon Age Inquistion for DA3. It wasn't because of the logical fact that Dragon Age isn't a story about something in particular as it is a story about their world. Nah, it's the coloured endings! ;D

And it's been pushed back to February 2015:

"We recently re-examined what we had achieved thus far, and faced a choice about the game's final release date. The decision we made was difficult, thoroughly considered, and ultimately clear and obvious. We could have released the game towards the end of this year as we had initially planned. Yet we concluded that a few additional months will let us achieve the quality that will satisfy us, the quality gamers expect from us. Consequently, we have set the release of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt for February 2015."

Well, it's not like they ever actually set a firm date (beyond 'sometime in 2014') in the first place.  Oh well, however long it takes to get it right is fine by me.

• Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Guest Slinky

Yet we concluded that a few additional months will let us achieve the quality that will satisfy us, the quality gamers expect from us.

Betting my money on they will still release Enhanced Edtion patch later after the release :p

But the later release date works for me just fine as I decided to upgrade my ancient rig when Intel pushes out their next generation cpu's and that should happen later this year.

Yet we concluded that a few additional months will let us achieve the quality that will satisfy us, the quality gamers expect from us.

Betting my money on they will still release Enhanced Edtion patch later after the release :p

Of course, it wouldn't be a CDPR game without an Enhanced Edition some 9 or 10 months later.

But the later release date works for me just fine as I decided to upgrade my ancient rig when Intel pushes out their next generation cpu's and that should happen later this year.

Broadwell?  That should be Q4 2014, and would indeed work out well time wise.  I may do the same, or I might splurge for Haswell-E, though the more I think about it, the less attractive Haswell-E becomes.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Maybe they realised they have bitten over a mouthful (judging from their pompous statements) and need now backtrack a bit to fix and adjust the game so that it works while they finish up the EE patch for post February release. Wouldn't surprise me should that be the case; but nonetheless, it's good that they take their time.

• Like 1

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

Guest Slinky

Broadwell?  That should be Q4 2014, and would indeed work out well time wise.  I may do the same, or I might splurge for Haswell-E, though the more I think about it, the less attractive Haswell-E becomes.

Yeah, I thought about Haswell-E, but I fiqured the 6-8 core broadwells would make more sense as hopefully future games will make better use of multiple cores with the new console generation. The cost will make me cry no doubt but I rather get things done right the first time, don't want to have to upgrade during the next 5 years after that.

Yeah, I thought about Haswell-E, but I fiqured the 6-8 core broadwells would make more sense as hopefully future games will make better use of multiple cores with the new console generation. The cost will make me cry no doubt but I rather get things done right the first time, don't want to have to upgrade during the next 5 years after that.

I'm going to take this to the Build Thread in Skeeter's Junkyard so as not to derail this further.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

And it's been pushed back to February 2015:

"We recently re-examined what we had achieved thus far, and faced a choice about the game's final release date. The decision we made was difficult, thoroughly considered, and ultimately clear and obvious. We could have released the game towards the end of this year as we had initially planned. Yet we concluded that a few additional months will let us achieve the quality that will satisfy us, the quality gamers expect from us. Consequently, we have set the release of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt for February 2015."

Well, it's not like they ever actually set a firm date (beyond 'sometime in 2014') in the first place.  Oh well, however long it takes to get it right is fine by me.

Yeah for me this is no issue at all, I just want CPR to be comfortable with the final release. I do think there W3 project is ambitious so I want them to have all the time they need

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

• 3 weeks later...
  • Like 3

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

That was really good, I didn't expect the ending :w00t:

John Milton 

That's way too big.

I'm hoping it's not accurate. Somehow. Their levels are great for the little stuff they put in, like all the goings on in Flotsam or Vizima. Don't see how they can preserve that kind of detail and go as big as the article suggests. Maybe the guys at CDP will comment on this.

It could either mean that there is lots of "empty" space between locations, which could be skippable via fast travel of some sort... Or lots of blocked space. Remember that Witcher 2 had some fairly big looking locations as well, but the actual accessible areas were much smaller and corridor-like.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."