InExile is plotting to ruin Torment by making it turn-based

khango

They suggested us, they want to make a game in tradition of the original Torment: Planescape. This means less fighting, more exploration and dialoges. A strong story.

Now we get a game with a tactical combat system.

That's deplorable.

Chief editor of World of Gothic, the (unfortunately for this audience) German Gothic community since 2000.

They suggested us, they want to make a game in tradition of the original Torment: Planescape. This means less fighting, more exploration and dialoges. A strong story.

That's deplorable.

Why is that (specifically)?

Less fighting, more exploration and dialogues still stands - and perhaps even more so than before since there won't be (much, if at all) filler combat.

Edited by Undecaf
  • Like 3

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

They've already prototyped Numenera mechanics on the W2 combat engine (and said that it works surprisingly well). I don't know if they've prototyped a RTwP system as well; if they have I haven't noticed them saying so.

They have at least a designer appointment for both versions, but it is hard to say have they made prototype of RTwP version. Because I think that they will buy Obsidian's code for RTwP if they go that way, because that will save lots of time for them and Obsidian and inXile already do lot of code and asset sharing.

That's deplorable.

Just because a game is story-driven doesn't mean you can't have tactical combat as well. They've already stated that the combat will be sparse and meaningful (no waves of filler trash mobs to grind through), and that most, if not all, of it will be avoidable, but it's still important to make the little bit of combat that's in the game as engaging as possible. They shouldn't gloss over combat just because it's not at the center of the game, that would lead to having garbage combat like in P:T, and I don't think anyone wants that, regardless of which side of the RTwP/TB fence they're on.

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

That's deplorable.

Why is that (specifically)?

Less fighting, more exploration and dialogues still stands - and perhaps even more so than before since there won't be (much, if at all) filler combat.

Because in a turn based combat system you will spend more time than in a real time system. This means, the fightings will be more important or at least the releasionship of spended time between combat and all other activities will shift to time, I spend with combat. In my opinion this is a core gameplay decision. Want I a game with focus on combat - than a tactic turn based combat system could be very cool or want I a storytelling game. Than to spend much time with fighting is annoying.

Chief editor of World of Gothic, the (unfortunately for this audience) German Gothic community since 2000.

Hey, it would be a Torment successor in name only if it didn't have abnomidable combat (wheter TB or RTwP).

Also a good reason why I didn't back, backing on the premise of a good story is rather hard, especially with no proof they infact can produce it, unless they made more than the BG EE's that I just am not aware of?

• Like 1

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Because in a turn based combat system you will spend more time than in a real time system.

So?

If you want a combat free experience and just enjoy the story, that's possible for a very large extent (or so they - InXile - say). Combat will be an occurence few and far between, focusing on quality (and apparently choice of going around it) over numbers. From the way it is explained, no matter how turnbased it might be, it will not drag the gameplay down unless you knowingly choose to prolong it (by means of how you play and how many fights you choose to fight). Not to mention, combat will be tied to the storytelling in some ways, so - if chosen to fight - it's not really just something you wish to get over with so you can get back to the story and adventuring.

Someone do correct me if I'm talking out of my ass here.

Edited by Undecaf
  • Like 2

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

I'm starting to kinda hope they pull an Arcanum and do both. Sh1t combat is, after all, a venerable Torment tradition just as much as an outlandish world, a personal, philosophical story, and wack companions.

Edit: Oh, looks like I wasn't the first to make this connection. 

Edited by PrimeJunta
  • Like 1

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

Hey, it would be a Torment successor in name only if it didn't have abnomidable combat (wheter TB or RTwP).

Also a good reason why I didn't back, backing on the premise of a good story is rather hard, especially with no proof they infact can produce it, unless they made more than the BG EE's that I just am not aware of?

inXile has nothing to do with BGEE whatsoever.

Back to the combat conversation. To me good combat doesn't take away from narrative but add to it.  If the battles are few and far between and meaningful, as they promise, then I'm fully in favor of robust tactical combat, even if it is slow paced. Look at it this way, when reading a novel it would get pretty freakin' boring if every few pages they went into descriptions of filler mob battles where the protagonists just brute force their way through some goblins or whatever.However reading about a tactical back and forth battle where the protagonists are pushed to their limits and forced to outsmart their opponents can be quite thrilling and really adds to the story because that's an actual difficult obstacle to overcome that requires brains as well as brawn.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

HH, you are aware that most of the team that made PS:T are back together, writing T:ToN, and many of the others were hired specifically for their writing skills? Colin McComb was Chris Avellone's closest collaborator on PS:T, Saint Christopher himself is on the roster, George Ziets wrote some of the best bits of Mask of the Betrayer, Shanna Germain is a kick-ass writer deeply involved with writing Numenera itself, Monte Cook who authored Numenera also wrote a huge amount of stuff for Planescape, and Patrick Rothfuss is a best-selling novelist?

If you are aware of that, what kind of proof about the ability to write a good story would satisfy your needs, exactly?

• Like 1

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

@Bester, fascinating. I take it you have a source inside inXile to be able to be so confident about this?

I do. His name is B**** F****.

Bruce Finey?

Brice Folen?

Bubba Frost?

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Meh, I didn't realize they meant turn based as different to pause and play.

However there have recently been some amazing turn based RPGs on steam from Zeboyd Games, so I'm not really bothered which method they use.

I doubt any of these new games are going to contain the same complexity of BG2s combat and spell system, so it matters not if they are turn based or pause and play.

I found the BG's more complicated than complex (two different things for me). Hands up all those who regularly cast Eagles Splendor?

It quickly boiled down to simple measures and countermeasures, hidden under a thick layer of unnecessary "junk", filling up spell lists and inventories with little or never used stuff (making it complicated rather than complex). One of the few things the system did right, was it actually allowed you to use positioning to some effect in some encounters. Otherwise it was a matter of buff, strip enemy spell caster of buffs, kill enemy spell caster, kill everything else. Magic was ridiculously powerful.

Is voting done yet? If so, how did it turn out?

• Like 2

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Heh, looks like they like to keep it exciting (crossing fingers and hoping for TB) :p

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I found the BG's more complicated than complex (two different things for me). Hands up all those who regularly cast Eagles Splendor?

That's not even a spell that's in any of the BG games...lol

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

That's not even a spell that's in any of the BG games...lol

Duh, it was called 'Friends' in BG2 :blush:

Might just be my queue for a replay of the game. It's been a while since now.

Lol - glad I didn't back this game. Too many crappy combat games abound. I agree with the guy earlier though who said inXile should've had the balls to decide on the combat system before putting Torment on Kickstarter. 

Interesting so now we are judging developers when they are too interactive with fans, so its lose lose for them.

Because if they hadn't had the poll people would be saying " I backed the game but I had no say in the combat which is important "

• Like 3

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela