What you did today

Rosbjerg

How about not speeding in the first place? Speed limits exist for a reason.

I really can't feel sad for people who get fines for that or die in car accidents if they were speeding and lost control over the vehicle. It just sucks donkey balls if other people are dragged into this, only because some idiot overestimated his driving skills... Which happens often enough.

Yes but we aren't necessarily talking about speeding, we are just talking about going maybe 15-25 km  over the speed limit. I don't see why you should get fined for that ?

:biggrin:

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I really can't feel sad for people who get fines for that or die in car accidents if they were speeding and lost control over the vehicle. It just sucks donkey balls if other people are dragged into this, only because some idiot overestimated his driving skills... Which happens often enough.

Heh, there was a case here a few years back where a guy got clocked speeding at about 110mph through the empty roads around the dockyards in the wee small hours of the night. He was getting slapped with speeding and assorted "dangerous driving" charges that he contested.

He went into court and highlighted that his career actually involved precision driving, stunt driving, and racing automobiles of various sorts, and as such he actually had the skills to control a car at those speeds with minimal difficulty. His defence then included a study of the roads around the docks in that 2am-4am time zone and the barely existing traffic there at those times.

He actually got all the "dangerous driving" charges dropped, but he did get stuck with the basic "speeding".

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Heh, there was a case here a few years back where a guy got clocked speeding at about 110mph through the empty roads around the dockyards in the wee small hours of the night. He was getting slapped with speeding and assorted "dangerous driving" charges that he contested.

He went into court and highlighted that his career actually involved precision driving, stunt driving, and racing automobiles of various sorts, and as such he actually had the skills to control a car at those speeds with minimal difficulty. His defence then included a study of the roads around the docks in that 2am-4am time zone and the barely existing traffic there at those times.

He actually got all the "dangerous driving" charges dropped, but he did get stuck with the basic "speeding".

If I was the judge I probably would have told him that as a "professional" he should have known better then and upped the fine :p

• Like 1

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Heh, some cop bought it here that way. Was funny to hear them say he was ejected from his cruiser and that was all - lucky his unsafe driving didn't kill anyone, might have hurt his hero status.

Yes but we aren't necessarily talking about speeding, we are just talking about going maybe 15-25 km  over the speed limit. I don't see why you should get fined for that ?

So what is speeding according to you ?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Hm, I remember going through one of those Police talks a few years back where they showed off their gear and technology, at the time they wouldn't bother prosecuting you unless you were going around 10mph over the speed limit. So they recognised the legal limit, but tended to make it more of a judgement call if the driver was only going over the limit by a small amount or the situation they were driving in. Outside a school area, they'd jump on it hard, but most streets they'd let it be fuzzier.

Edit: Struggling with procrastination today. Looking at work to make a start on, but can't seem to get my mind to engage. Then end up following some quirky non-work research contemplating great generals/military leaders in history.

Edited by Raithe

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Heh, some cop bought it here that way. Was funny to hear them say he was ejected from his cruiser and that was all - lucky his unsafe driving didn't kill anyone, might have hurt his hero status.

So what is speeding according to you ?

Excellent question Malc

In South Africa the speed limit on highways and freeways is 120 Km/h, anything over 160 Km/h should be considered speeding. But to fine a person going 140 Km/h just seems unreasonable ?

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Well he wasn't on the freeway if it was a 45 mph zone.  Was it CHP, city police, or sheriff?  

I got a ticket once for going 79 on a 65 mph freeway that I was a bit upset over.  That being said, now I just try and keep it at 75 and under.

"We'll let you off with a warning this time, mr. Walker"

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

In my opinion speeding should only come up if there actually is any traffic in the area, if you do 200 km/h on an empty freeway, you're not endangering anyone.

And I just ate... >.<

Well, you got to see the good in everything, you've just made place for another tasty meal! Eating like the rich-romans. :w00t:

By the way, Azdeus, isn't it like 4 AM now in Sweden? You eat at 4 AM?

Hehehe, I thought it was the 16'th century nobles that had the "throat feather" for the dinners, when they had 24 hour parties and you were'nt allowed to stop eating essentially? :p

Yeah, it was 4 am then, is'nt it the same timezone as you? I ate at 3 am since I was going to go to bed soon, don't want to go to bed on an empty stomach, it's hells to fall asleep then.

Edited by Azdeus

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

anything over 120 should be considered speeding.

Really? So you going on a 600 Km road-trip and you think its wrong to go faster than 120Km\h?

I don't get that... :skeptical:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I've driven from Denmark to Marocco keeping to the speedlimit. So many people die on the road every day because they think they can control a car going 20km/h faster - so many trucks kill cyclist here, cause they swing too fast and don't follow the rules.. (and many cyclist die 'cause they think they can bend the rules too)

I have no respect for the very very selfish desire to get somewhere a little faster, at the very palpable added risk of killing yourself or even worse someone else.

edit: in many ways I don't think humans should be allowed in control of anything going faster than 40km/h, except on racing tracks.

Fortune favors the bald.

I dreamt I had several alts that I use when I sleep.. Sorta like a really sad and boring Fight Club.

We have found Oby!

• Like 2
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

In my opinion speeding should only come up if there actually is any traffic in the area, if you do 200 km/h on an empty freeway, you're not endangering anyone.

There is more to it than that, obviously.  If you pop a tire, or simply lose control, you are going to make a huge mess of the roadway.  Who do you think pays for those roads?  Who is going to pay for the cleanup crew to come scrape your carcass off the road?  

You can go test your car on racetracks if you want, but the freeway is not your personal playground.

Edited by Hurlshot
  • Like 1

- so many trucks kill cyclist here, cause they swing too fast and don't follow the rules.. (and many cyclist die 'cause they think they can bend the rules too)

From my experience as a very avid cyclist who has completed eight thousand kilometers in 3 years mostly on busy clearways I can say that 99% of cyclist deaths are not caused by speeding vehicles but by reckless overtaking. I was literally an inch from death hundreds of times because car & truck drivers thought they don't have to leave any space between their vehicle and me almost squishing me with their 16 wheelers against the guard railing. Getting squished between 20 tons of steel driving 80km/h and a steel barrier is certain death. One time a biker even hit me with his jacket while overtaking me.   :blink: 

This and cars overtaking me but going back to their lane way too early almost hitting me with the rear of their cars.

Thats why I always make a friendly hand gesture to those who leave lots of space between me and their car and those who almost hit me always get the middle finger. 

In fact, judging by what I've seen on roads I think a very high percentage of accidents in general are caused by reckless overtaking, not by minor speeding. Speeding cars were never a problem for me, not even once.  

To all car drivers and bikers here: overtake cyclists like any other vehicle on the road. Leave some space. 

Edited by Woldan
  • Like 1

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

Human reaction times, even basic reaction time, is quite slow. Speed equals a smaller reaction window, even before you get the speed effects Hurlshot mentioned.

I'd not be opposed on principle to some sort of 'elite' drivers license. But until that happens I take the view that there are far far more people who think they have mad skills than actually do.

• Like 1

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

There is more to it than that, obviously.  If you pop a tire, or simply lose control, you are going to make a huge mess of the roadway.  Who do you think pays for those roads?  Who is going to pay for the cleanup crew to come scrape your carcass off the road?  

You can go test your car on racetracks if you want, but the freeway is not your personal playground.

Ironically, you actually can't test your car on racetracks. You can race it, but you can't test it - because you're never alone. Dragster teams have to test as they race unless they're well sponsored enough to buy a racetrack/small airport for a few days.

As for who pays for the roads, the same people that go skiing, waterskiing, snowboarding, dirt bike racing, drinking and other dangerous/harmful activities pay for my slip ups aswell as I pay for their slipups.

The difference is that I actually have a caused considerably less damage to myself, property and people by using empty roads than people breaking arms, legs and necks doing sports.

Well, not that I do any actual driving, I'm a mechanic without a licence yet.

Human reaction times, even basic reaction time, is quite slow. Speed equals a smaller reaction window, even before you get the speed effects Hurlshot mentioned.

I'd not be opposed on principle to some sort of 'elite' drivers license. But until that happens I take the view that there are far far more people who think they have mad skills than actually do.

I'd like to see some form of extra licence, a higher degree if you will, aswell.

Dunning Kruger effect, good stuffs!

Edited by Azdeus

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I'd be in favour of giving elite drivers some sort of visible ranking system on the license plate. Would obviate the necessity of anyone pretending to be an elite driver. Either you are or you aren't.

• Like 1

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I'd say you should give seniors one aswell, so that other drivers know not to follow the car infront of them into the ocean or down the wrong side of the highway.

I dreamt I had several alts that I use when I sleep.. Sorta like a really sad and boring Fight Club.

Perhaps you're sleep posting?

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

In much the same way that fighter pilots used to paint iron cross marks under their ****pit*, I have crudely daubed bicycles under mine.

Also walking sticks, prams and wheelchairs, though they aren't strictly applicable to this conversation.

Edit: *goodness me, the bit where the pilot sat.

Edited by Kroney

Dirty deeds done cheap.

Wrong clip.

Edited by Azdeus