BBC Ignorance test

Walsingham

FIVE CHILDREN ON AVERAGE??!! 

Oh, birth control now, thank god. Or ... wait, when did China enact the one-child thing ... :o  

I only got 3/9. A British chimp isn't the worst thing to be. 

Its not, many would argue that Chimps have better lives than many humans.

So welcome to our zoo according to the test , you aren't alone :)

Edited by BruceVC
  • Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Oh, birth control now, thank god. Or ... wait, when did China enact the one-child thing ... :o  

...You can drink tea, and shoot the French!

• Like 2

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

...You can drink tea, and shoot the French!

:lol:,,,funny

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Not for the French it bloody isn't.

Incidentally, keep in mind that this is a compliment. Despite having shot people from all over the World, the British still like shooting Frenchmen best.

• Like 1

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I got 5/9 although there are two questions (life expectancy and wealth distribution) that my initial thought was correct on but talked myself out of :(

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Not for the French it bloody isn't.

Incidentally, keep in mind that this is a compliment. Despite having shot people from all over the World, the British still like shooting Frenchmen best.

In all honesty, I can't think of anyone else more enjoyable to shoot(I suppose a certain brand of Russians come close). Perhaps France should be known as "Most Shootable Nation"?

• Like 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Gentlemen, I propose a toast: to the French, long may they fight!

-Elwood Blues

If by "fight" you mean surrender.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Well, you have to START a fight to have something to surrender from!

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I have just realised that they only surrender when fighting against enemies without the character, tenacity, and class of the British.

I mean, once you've fought the British I can imagine not being bothered about the Germans. It'd be like going to see your team play Hull.

-Elwood Blues

It seems the French have high standards then.

They have that joke aimed at them just due to their defeat in WW2 and Indochina, I suppose ? Seems somewhat unfair.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

And Algeria and the Franco-Prussian war.

-Elwood Blues

Hm, interesting. Most of the time it's just them 'caving' before the Germans (that pretty much beat up everyone else at the time). Haven't really read much on Algeria other than knowing it was a fairly nasty campaign, wiki article indicates it's like Vietnam for the US - smash up the enemy but still 'lose'.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

But don't you see? They weren't running away. They were giving up in disgust.

-Elwood Blues

The French military kicks ass.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_battles_involving_France_in_modern_history

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

But don't you see? They weren't running away. They were giving up in disgust.

I suppose that is one way of looking at it.

The French military kicks ass.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_battles_involving_France_in_modern_history

On a more historical basis, the French military always used to be pretty damn good. It's only in this last century that they developed the reputation of being cheese-eating surrender monkeys.

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

And the german/ prussian army was nowhere near as good as its reputation for that matter. Worst performance of any major antagonist in the Napoleonic Wars and only survived the 7YW because Elisveta died at the most opportune moment possible and her heir was a prussophile cretin; lost their nerve terribly in the first few months of WW1 when they could have won quickly and lost- no matter the excuses from Adolf et alia- primarily to the french. They even consistently lost in WW2 whenever they came up against a credible and well lead opponent. They had a purple patch from 1866-1870 but their performance otherwise was uneven.

Are you deliberately being revisionist?

-Elwood Blues

That sounds like the history channel to me.

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

I knew I should have left the "come at me, prussophiles" comment at the end...

I'm at least moderately serious though, I'd actively defend the opinion that historic german military supremacy was more apparent than real- and largely couched in the hero worship of certain individuals; GrossFreddie/ Rommel/ Manstein etc.

Prince Ludwig the Indestructible.

• Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I knew I should have left the "come at me, prussophiles" comment at the end...

I'm at least moderately serious though, I'd actively defend the opinion that historic german military supremacy was more apparent than real- and largely couched in the hero worship of certain individuals; GrossFreddie/ Rommel/ Manstein etc.

Whatever criticism you make about their operational nous (which battles they fought) they were tactically way above par (how they fought their battles). And their latter strategic idiocy doesn't come close to marring that.

I'd also add that in the last War their procurement could be absolutely amazing. Or basically wherever Hitler, Goering, or Himmler didn't shove a swivel-eyed oar in.

-Elwood Blues

Let us not forget the mechanised infantry concept embodied by the Panzergrenadiere that forever changed the face of modern ground warfare. I'd argue that the Germans didn't need more Tigers and Panthers, they needed more Hanomags so that their troops weren't stuck riding in horse-drawn carriages half the time.

Edited by Agiel
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling