RAnDoM VidEO GAmE NeWS

LadyCrimson

First thing is, that lot of current jurnalist are bringing up the "sexist" card only to get more hits on their site, which brings them more revenue. Be honest, how many of you, who do not frequently visit the RPS, clicked on the link and read the article, just because you wanted to know how sexist is the game?

RPS does it because they care about social justice and won't be silenced! And other crusading nonsense.  Not doing it for hits really, they feel by doing so they're making a difference and such.   Sometimes though, people bring up misogyny just to bring it up, it being the cause of the year.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

this generation simply can't get with all their "serious concerns for sexual equality" etc. Maybe I'll give it a try.

Is it the fact that this generation can't get it or is it the fact that this generation believes that the days of companies benefitting from socially unacceptable themes, like sexism and racism,  won't be supported  by people anymore?

Politically unacceptable you mean. From your political point of view. I don't understand people who want to drag politics into every aspect of their life and even impose it on others, proclaiming that a certain thing is suddenly "socially" unacceptable. Just because it's a humor you don't understand, doesn't make you the king of all people to rule out what is acceptable or not. All sexist/racist/cripple/dark humor is acceptable by me, it's not your place to deprive me of fun by labeling it as "socially unacceptable". Murder is socially unacceptable. Humor is ok. If you don't understand or like it - just don't play it. The more people say this or that is socially unacceptable, the more "rules" we're going to have against this or that. I hate it.

Edited by Bester
  • Like 4
IE Mod for Pillars of Eternity: link

Oh wait, I forgot to mention the scene in which you deliberately lead children into a dark caravan inhabited by a paedophile. And then later create an ink rubbing of the paedophile’s **** to create a Rorschach test. Which you can then show to children.

what

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

It's absolutely true.

But it's kind of a scene about Rufus. He's not a smart or truly respectable person. None of the stuff he does is cast in a positive light. It's just more on the pile of how self-centered he is.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Politically unacceptable you mean. From your political point of view. I don't understand people who want to drag politics into every aspect of their life and even impose it on others, proclaiming that a certain thing is suddenly "socially" unacceptable. Just because it's a humor you don't understand, doesn't make you the king of all people to rule out what is acceptable or not. All sexist/racist/cripple/dark humor is acceptable by me, it's not your place to deprive me of fun by labeling it as "socially unacceptable". Murder is socially unacceptable. Humor is ok. If you don't understand or like it - just don't play it. The more people say this or that is socially unacceptable, the more "rules" we're going to have against this or that. I hate it.

Can't you tell that's exactly what Bruce wants?

First thing is, that lot of current jurnalist are bringing up the "sexist" card only to get more hits on their site, which brings them more revenue. Be honest, how many of you, who do not frequently visit the RPS, clicked on the link and read the article, just because you wanted to know how sexist is the game?

RPS does it because they care about social justice and won't be silenced! And other crusading nonsense.  Not doing it for hits really, they feel by doing so they're making a difference and such.   Sometimes though, people bring up misogyny just to bring it up, it being the cause of the year.

I thought that you have finally seen my point around RPS but then I realized you were being sarcastic :) Because that's exactly what RPS does do, they care about certain social justice issues and they have decided to make a stand. I respect them immensely for making that difficult decision because Malc let me assure you of something, its much easier to not say anything around cases of bigotry or to challenge the systemic issues around sexism we see in certain parts of the gaming industry

Personally I would be very annoyed if RPS was making a social stand just for ratings and hits. In fact I reject this notion completely. Unless someone can provide links to support this view?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Someone please moderate this back on topic. 

PS4 System Software Update 1.5 is already live and available for download. It's an 860MB file, so if you're like me and don't have gigabit internet, get a flash drive and load it up in advance of Friday's rush.

Edit: There are two versions of 1.5 ... the big 860MB one for if you're installing system software to a new hard drive, and a smaller 308MB file for simply updating the PS4 out of the box.  

Edited by ManifestedISO

All Stop. On Screen.

this generation simply can't get with all their "serious concerns for sexual equality" etc. Maybe I'll give it a try.

Is it the fact that this generation can't get it or is it the fact that this generation believes that the days of companies benefitting from socially unacceptable themes, like sexism and racism,  won't be supported  by people anymore?

So basically you argument is that its s a game and if I don't like the content then I shouldn't play it and I should stop trying to enforce my view on others?

What I don't get is end of the day this type of game is actually an insult to people like you. You just don't realize it. The developers are appealing to  the whole "shock" factor instead of creating something of substance. We are living in an age of profound creativity and genius. We have games that bring us to tears and games where people create websites where they spend months designing mods just to enhance the gaming experience. So in this all greatness and this ability to truly inspire people what do some developers decide to do? They create a game with a character that makes a mockery of very important social issues. Its lazy and pathetic and insulting to what fans should expect. You should hold Daedalic studios to a higher standard than that

Unless of course you really a bigot, in which case you would get some vicarious joy from playing this game. But I doubt you are :)

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

And I asked about Two and Half men, because many "white kinghts" are depicting the series as an prime example of how sexist is our entertainment... What makes me laugh everytime I see it, is that it is one of the favorite shows of my sister... She does not feel offended, because she is intelligent enough to see the difference between parody of relationships in modern society, and sexism.

As a person often labeled as "white knight", I'll come and out myself as a Two and a Half Men fan. Love the show. At least when it had Charlie Sheen. While it is disrespectful towards women, it isn't exactly respectful towards men either. Or can anyone imagine themselves suggesting that Charlie and Alan are awesome male role models? :p

I love the show as it is equal opportunity disrespectfull.

Yup. That's why my sister likes it, and I like it as well, not my favourite show, but some episodes were really funny...

Anyway nr.1: Everytime I read some crazy politicaly correct ****, it makes me happy, that I still live in a country, where I can say to my female colleagues at work, that they look beautiful today, without fear of losing my job and get sued to oblivion for sexual harassment...

(This does not imply to any post made here by anyone, it is just plain, general, dry look and my own oppinion on the world, where men are forced in front of TV cameras to apology to women for telling them a compliment...)

Anyway nr.2: back to topic

ArsTechnica first look at PS4

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/11/impressions-our-first-day-with-the-playstation-4-is-full-of-surprises/

Edited by Mamoulian War

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

We are living in an age of profound creativity and genius. 

Angry birds... so deep, man.

We have games that bring us to tears

xDD Yeah right.

So in this all greatness and this ability to truly inspire people what do some developers decide to do? They create a game with a character that makes a mockery of very important social issues.

First of all, those issues are important to YOU, not to all. I'm a fulfilled individual, I'm not fifteen, I don't have complexes of inferiority and so I don't give a flying f... about what some people might think about me because of the social group I belong to. And censoring things left and right won't change what they think about me either. And I don't want some people to try to get into my head and change what I think about some other social groups by censoring games/films/books. It won't work. I'll think what I'll think, and it will be based on my interactions with them. Supposing otherwise would be taking me for an idiot and THAT would be offensive.

And second, a game isn't an inspirational video, it's an entertainment product. Don't like? Don't buy. If you start thinking that it owes you something, like it must inspire you or it must discuss important social issues (read this last part in a soft caring voice), then let's ban all films, games and books that don't exactly inspire OR have a gay iranian political refugee, a black guy, a jew, a trans-gender and a strong confident woman. After we're burned books, let's forbid history class cause history was mostly written by a white male and it's therefore discriminatory and offensive, then we'll just forbid school and knowledge altogether and then we'll live really well from that point on. Then we'll have mouth police patrolling the streets and checking if you're talking about important social issues. If you're not - PRISON TIME.

With people like you, there are always all those "important social issue" except the one called "freedom of speech". That one is reserved for you only.

Edited by Bester
  • Like 3
IE Mod for Pillars of Eternity: link

Nice new alt oby.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

We are living in an age of profound creativity and genius. 

Angry birds... so deep, man.

xDD Yeah right.

So in this all greatness and this ability to truly inspire people what do some developers decide to do? They create a game with a character that makes a mockery of very important social issues.

First of all, those issues are important to YOU, not to all. I'm a fulfilled individual, I'm not fifteen, I don't have complexes of inferiority and so I don't give a flying f... about what some people might think about me because of the social group I belong to. And censoring things left and right won't change what they think about me either. And I don't want some people to try to get into my head and change what I think about some other social groups by censoring games/films/books. It won't work. I'll think what I'll think, and it will be based on my interactions with them. Supposing otherwise would be taking me for an idiot and THAT would be offensive.

And second, a game isn't an inspirational video, it's an entertainment product. Don't like? Don't buy. If you start thinking that it owes you something, like it must inspire you or it must discuss important social issues (read this last part in a soft caring voice), then let's ban all films, games and books that don't exactly inspire OR have a gay iranian political refugee, a black guy, a jew, a trans-gender and a strong confident woman. After we're burned books, let's forbid history class cause history was mostly written by a white male and it's therefore discriminatory and offensive, then we'll just forbid school and knowledge altogether and then we'll live really well from that point on. Then we'll have mouth police patrolling the streets and checking if you're talking about important social issues. If you're not - PRISON TIME.

With people like you, there are always all those "important social issue" except the one called "freedom of speech". That one is reserved for you only.

I believe in Freedom of Speech but not if it infringes on the dignity of a person. In South Africa we have a constitution that addresses this exactly and I firmly believe in that. Words do matter and you can't hide behind free speech and believe that your words have no consequence

I want to ask you something., You believe in the context of gaming that developers should be able to make any game they want with no sense of social responsibility. And people should just not play the game if they don't like the content. So what about a game where you play as a Paedophile and you have to abuse children to progress in the game. Would you still have the same view of this game. Please don't over complicate the response, I simply want to know if you feel this would be acceptable based on your view of the right of developers to make games as they see fit?

John Milton 

Nice to see the resident SJW taking the bait.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I also disagree with the notion that default narrative settings are apolitical.

Thanks for sending me to a whiny ass blog.

Happy to oblige.  It has plenty of links to if you're curious about the validity of the claims.

Regardless, I stand by the statement: anyone that thinks that "default narrative settings" are apolitical are lying to themselves.

It's like when someone goes "Oh they called a game sexist, it's just to get more hits."  If any attempt to push away from the "default" is seen as political, then the default is itself a political statement.  Doubly so if people make a big deal about deviations away from the default as being political/social statements.

Edited by alanschu
  • Like 1

Please don

xDD Yeah right.

I lol'd. Games aren't remotely that serious. Wtf?

Please try to understand the context of what I'm saying. You are being naïve or myopic if you think some games don't have a real impact on some of us. They may just be games but that doesn't  detract from the message or emotional connection a person may feel. For example I have read several reviews around the Walking Dead and how people were generally moved by the ending. A game can be no different to a good book or movie and yes they can have an impact around your final personal  feeling at the end of the game. Its not weird or difficult to understand :)

Of course I'm not saying this applies to all games but  lets not dismiss the impact a game can have

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

Yes, you are right. A lot of games can have very deep impact... Every time, I see a new AAA game announced, it brings tears in my eyes...

• Like 2

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

I also disagree with the notion that default narrative settings are apolitical.

Thanks for sending me to a whiny ass blog.

Happy to oblige.  It has plenty of links to if you're curious about the validity of the claims.

Regardless, I stand by the statement: anyone that thinks that "default narrative settings" are apolitical are lying to themselves.

It's like when someone goes "Oh they called a game sexist, it's just to get more hits."  If any attempt to push away from the "default" is seen as political, then the default is itself a political statement.  Doubly so if people make a big deal about deviations away from the default as being political/social statements.

I like how the blogger goes on and on about their politics instead of presenting their thesis, which instead becomes a supporting argument for their politics.

I don't know if narratives are political or not, if that is just cause the author usually writes what they know and some of their personal perspectives seep in or whether they are actively trying to make a statement. I will say that making the unequivocal assumption that this is somehow inherently wrong as they should instead write the political correct version of what the blogger persuasion is. Maybe instead of whining about why white privileged cis gendered only males write white privileged cis gendered males, they'd like to throw their hat in the ring and inject a different perspective of woman is.

That said I did find the knowledge of accomplished women refreshing, the prose pleasing and the overall lack of hostility novel but sadly I doesn't amount to anything other than venting or whining. Much like this post.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif